Subject: Card count - Is the manual misprinted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone

I recently received Agents of SMERSH with Swagmans hope in a math trade. Everything was mixed in the boxes and I am trying to separate the components.

Two discrepancies I have found are with the encounter cards. The manual says I should have 108 cards (without the book icon - this includes the Ocean cards) and I only have 98

Also, the manual says I should have 48 Status cards but I have 49

Does somebody know the correct card count for these two things? I was able to separate everything else.

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 55 status cards; the swagman's hope rulebook indicates 6 are from there. I have 6 cards where the gun is a slightly different color grey:
Cookie Galore
Dr Lobo's Baby
2x Friendly Locals
2x Howdy Partner!

I did the original kickstarter for both the base game and swagman's hope, in case the card count changed between printings.

And dinner was just called, so I'll do encounter cards when I get back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So that leaves 49 status cards for the base set for me.

I have 20 non-book encounter cards for each of the 5 continents, and 10 book-encounter cards for each of the 5 continents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought the base game.
The box says 48 status cards while the manual says 47.
There are 47 status cards in the box, so I hope the manual is right .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like my card count matches Yaverot. I don't know what happened but I seem to have the same amount of encounter cards you do. Weird, I obviously miscounted something.

My box for the base game (as well as the manual) say 48 Status cards but I have 49 so I don't know where that extra is coming from.

I also noticed I have two rule books for the base game. I assume one is "updated" but I have no way to tell the difference between them

with regards to the status cards, I have one called Corduroy Blu. This card looks different than the others in that the title is blue. I wonder if this is a promo or something? That would account for the 49th Status card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
My box for the base game (as well as the manual) say 48 Status cards but I have 49 so I don't know where that extra is coming from.

It is not like Status is shuffled and dealt, so whichever card we got as a duplicate won't be all that game-changing.

Quote:
I also noticed I have two rule books for the base game. I assume one is "updated" but I have no way to tell the difference between them

So you make me look, assuming there'd be some obvious indicator (like an updated copyright date); the original book has a list of kickstarter backers, the revised version does not.

Quote:
with regards to the status cards, I have one called Corduroy Blu. This card looks different than the others in that the title is blue. I wonder if this is a promo or something? That would account for the 49th Status card.

Corduroy Blu isn't a promo, because she is a legitimate reward for one of the encounters. I'd lean towards having a duplicate of something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok cool. Thanks for your help. I've made notes in the manuals now so sorting in the future will be way easier if I ever need to do it again! My group is excited to finally play this. I remember it was so popular when it came out, then after a few weeks I never heard of it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I still play it with another couple from time to time. We love the spy adventure feel of the game. We're currently playing through the separate scenario book, but it's slow going because the other couple is having another baby any day now. Little kids and long adventure games don't mix well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah their game nights will be significantly reduced in frequency... Unless u end up going there.

By the way i was looking through the status cards. It looks like there is two or one of everything, except for the one called Watch, which i have 3 of. Mayne thats the "extra" card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory, yes, there was an extra Watch card for some reason. As Yaverot says, it won't change the game much if you have a third copy in your Status deck. Or just leave it in the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont mind keeping it in play. One of the characters starts with one automatically. There came a situation the other day when one of my starting characters had a status card to begin the game with, but after passing an encounter she won the same status card. Are characters able to ha e duplicate status cards at one time? I watched rahdos playthrough of the game but the situation never came up while he was playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Are characters able to ha e duplicate status cards at one time?

No, you can't have a duplicate on the same character, but I'm away from my game and can't give a reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
shooshoo wrote:
Are characters able to ha e duplicate status cards at one time?

No, you can't have a duplicate on the same character, but I'm away from my game and can't give a reference.

This is correct, but the only place I've been able to find it quoted is in the unofficial FAQ compiled here: Clarified Rules and FAQ

I've uploaded a new version of the Agents of SMERSH - Official FAQ with this question added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a fun game so far. I really enjoy searching for the corresponding story to read (whats with all the jokes against Canadians btw?? Hilarious!)

Anyways, i find the rulebook is not very well written. I mean its not terrible but its not very easy and i swear there were things i didnt even find mention of. Other things seemed to be hidden in other paragraphs too. Aside from that im really liking the game and rahdos video helped a lot!

Ill go through the faq and clarifications as im sure ill find most, if not all the answers to my questions. Looking forward to getting this out to the group! I think even my wife will enjoy this and shes not a gamer at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:

Anyways, i find the rulebook is not very well written. I mean its not terrible but its not very easy and i swear there were things i didnt even find mention of. Other things seemed to be hidden in other paragraphs too. Aside from that im really liking the game and rahdos video helped a lot!

Ill go through the faq and clarifications as im sure ill find most, if not all the answers to my questions. Looking forward to getting this out to the group! I think even my wife will enjoy this and shes not a gamer at all.

If I remember rightly the second edition rulebook had some sentences cut off (FAQ and summary section on back page I think) as well as a section repeated. Best to download the rulebook which has addressed some of the missing bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that the rule book in the files section on here? I think its version 2.0 or something. Ill go ahead and read through it. Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The printed 2nd-edition rules did have some minor updates regarding secret missions, and possibly one or two other things, but I personally always refer to NEW OFFICIAL RULES VERSION 2.0 as the 'definitive' version.

Edit:
shooshoo wrote:
whats with all the jokes against Canadians btw?? Hilarious!

During the Kickstarter campaign, a small group of Canadians were giving Jason a hard time and for some reason just wouldn't stop complaining about the choice of Canadian cities on the game board. The portrayal of Canada and its inhabitants in the game is a small measure of revenge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol thats awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.