Popular Tags: [View All]
moesjiff
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got Friday last Friday (fitting I know) and played one game before I went to bed just to practice the mechanic. I made it into the yellow stage.

I was confident I could beat it Saturday if I just learned a little strategy, so I came here and learned some tips. Most importantly to thin your deck ruthlessly. I tried that out and got farther into the yellow stage a couple times, but I seemed to be getting worse since I was running out of life so quickly. Sunday I continued my quest and had a little more success, but it all felt like luck. My highest score was -44. Oy!!! I was 8 games in and still hadn't even broke even, let alone won.

So this morning I started scouring the forums to make sure I understood spending life to destroy cards. Turns out I was playing incorrectly.

Quote:
For the life points you pay in this manner you can destroy face up fighting cards and remove them from the game. You spend one life point to destroy one of the Robinson or Knowledge card and two life points to destroy an aging card.

I interpreted the highlighted phrase to mean that I had to spend more life in addition to what I had already paid, just not more. So for example, if I lost by 3 points I had to pay 3 for the loss and then up to 3 more to destroy 3 Fighting cards or 1 Fighting card and an Aging card. Then I found this thread.

So I was double paying!!! surprisedevilshake

This morning I faced the game with renewed optimism. I knew I could beat those darn pirates today. arrrharrrh

My first game, I didn't quite make it, but I was well into the red stage and I scored 1 point! I have never been so excited to score 1 point!

I made another run at it and won.

Green Stage:
I brutally thinned my deck. Got rid of all Robinson Cards except for "eating", "genius", and 2 "focused". Managed to get a couple hazards that had destroy, but the rest of the time I fought the hardest hazards to thin the deck or get a good Knowledge card at the discount price.

Yellow Stage:
I think I only lost one hazard on this stage deliberately in order to get rid of an aging card, but the rest of the time I relied on vision and destroy cards to rid myself of those cards.

Red Stage:
Went very quickly since there weren't very many hazards left. And with some high point cards I got to slow my progress through the Robinson/Knowledge Card deck and since I had attacked difficult hazards early, it was super easy to win the simple ones.

Pirate 1 - 7 cards, +2 for each aging card:
I had drawn 9 of the 10 and was close to the end of my fighting deck so I attacked this one first. This one wasn't too hard to fight, but I ended up with "suicidal" in my deck after I shuffled my discard for more cards. I had to spend a couple life to get a destroy card to come up so I could beat it.

Pirate 2 - 9 cards, 35 strength
This was a little bit of a brain burner, but I used a couple well placed exchanges on 0's that I had already gotten the life from. And then a "vision" combined with a couple "+2 cards" got me 2 doublers and a copy, so I could double my 4 and 2 3s for an extra 10 points and put me well over 35!!!!

I got 68 points
43 - Fighting Deck
30 - Pirates
10 - Life
-15 - leftover Hazards

Of course, this was level 1. Looking forward to working through more levels in the days to come. Thanks to everyone on the forum for the tips and help with the rule clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moesjiff
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I attacked level 2 and it was so much fun! The aging card in my first fighting deck made it harder to thin the "weak" cards out of my deck, but I was brutal with the other original cards and after I had a couple of nice knowledge cards in my deck I quickly got rid of all but the "genius", "eating" and 1 stubborn "weak" card from the original 18 Robinson cards. This proved a little challenging at times through the last half of the green phase, but such a lean deck really paid off in the end. I was sure I would have many more hazard cards left than the first time, but I only had 6 instead of 5, so not bad. I managed 134 points. (43 strength + 30 pirates + 80 life - 18 leftover hazard.) One of the pirates said that each additional card cost 2 life, so I was preferring those hazards over others all else being equal, so I was lousy with life points by the end.

Looking forward to tackling level 3 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stubob007 Shannon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you age when fighting the pirates? If you go through your fight cards do add an aging card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - every time you need to draw from your empty deck, you add an aging card to the discard pile and reshuffle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.