Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Guild Ball» Forums » General

Subject: Can i mix 2 starters to get full team? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi

Im gonna buy guild ball tomorrow. I have been drawn to it in an instant. Everything feels great about it. Unfortunately the shop has only 3 miniatures starters. I was concerned i will not be able to see the game's full potential untill i play with 6 players teams.
I read somewhere here on bgg about starters being complimentary. Does it mean i can actually mix 2x different starters and play with them as a one 6 player team?
Thanks.

After a bit of fiddling i chose fisherman, union and alchemists. If i can actually mix them together i can choose one more: maybe masons or butchers. What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can mix Union players into Guild teams for which those Union players will play. (They are like Mercenaries in Warmachine/Hordes.) Additionally, the league/season format for playing will allow one team to let you use one of their team members on your team -- but that's only supposed to be for an on-going campaign/season; the player that loans you his player can't use him in his game that week.

I think to get a feel for the game you could mix and match players from different guilds, but the teams will not be "legal" teams. Additionally, the players on a given team have different ways the players can synergize. You will probably not be able to have mixed team play as well as a team that uses players all from the same guild. But I don't know! I haven't tried.

The one exception is that the Hunters starter box is a full 6-person team right out of the box - which is why the box is so expensive compared to the other starter boxes.

Finally, the starter boxes are great for "demo" games -- which is what they were designed for. 3 v 3 play, on a 2' x 2' or 3' x 3' table with the match only going to 6 points. So you can play a lot of demo games with what you have decided to purchase! Demo games play a lot quicker, too.

I have found the game to be fun, so far. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steamforged Games has paper dolls/cut-out standees available for all Season 1 players, so you could get the starter of your choice and use the standees attached to appropriate sized bases until you can get your hands on the actual figures. The cards are also available to print an play. So you can try different players and lines out before buying a figure you might later decide doesn't fit your play style.

Most people recommend getting the starter for your team of choice, and then maybe the Union starter as well. The captain, Blackheart, can only play for a Union team, while Gutter will also play for Brewers, Butchers, Engineers and Fishermen, and Decimate will also play for Alchemists, Butchers, Engineeers, and Masons. So don't get the Union starter if you plan to play Morticians or Hunters unless you also plan to play Union as a stand alone team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.