$35.00
Chris Williams
United Kingdom
Manchester
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the art-work has been the subject of much discussion, but is anyone else disappointed with the general quality/production values of the product, particularly at the game's price point?

I am.

The little things really stand out to me: the thin, badly cut stock of the card dividers (that are also unlabelled). The fact that the foam blocks aren't cut straight & to the right size. The wrap around paper card design on the box not glued down fully to the corners inside.

When I compare it to the standard of other products, for example Smash Up's "Big Geeky Box", it really doesn't come off very well.

Did I just get a duff 'un?

I'm yet to play the game, so I'm hoping the gameplay will soon make me forget these little niggles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't seem to be a very fair assessment. You forgot to mention the awesome playmat that, if sold separately, would cost maybe half the price of the game. In deckbuilding games from other companies you usually find no playmat at all, or a paper one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United Kingdom
Manchester
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
That doesn't seem to be a very fair assessment. You forgot to mention the awesome playmat that, if sold separately, would cost maybe half the price of the game. In deckbuilding games from other companies you usually find no playmat at all, or a paper one.

Yeah, OK, interesting point, and definitely not something I factored in. Thanks for pointing it out.

That point, however, has not managed to improve my disappointment, I'm afraid. It may go some way to explain the price, but doesn't justify shoddy production values in other areas of the product and a clear lack of attention to the detail. (Outside of the gameplay - remember, I've not got around to playing it yet.)

I think it's going to be tough for me to get over the first impression when I opened up the box and found these little niggles. Is it a fair assessment I've made? Possibly not, but it irks me to think someone reviewed quality and might have said "that'll do. They are getting a playmat after all."

Your answer implies that all the sets are like mine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have any of the problem you mentioned. Box and packing spacer were fine.

Most of the divider cards could have done with names on them like Apex Card game but there were more of spacers than I needed which was good as I could build a game ready section. I think I'll print and craft one of the user made sets at some point.

One card was missing, which was 'offset' as I did have one extra copy of a different card. Awaiting delivery of a replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
does Upper Deck do pre-printed divider cards for any of the Legendary/Legendary Encounters games or is it always the "blank" ones like in the Firefly game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is really the only thing I can complain about with my set. The dividers not being labeled was a minor annoyance that took about 10 minutes to fix once I sorted them. The extra dividers more than made up for it though so you can set them up however you want. My foam block also didn't seem poorly cut and I've got no issues with the wrap on the box.

The card stock is standard for all legendary games and really most other deck builders. There are a few that have superior stock like original versions of Dominion but even the new Dominion sets have this kind of card stock. The playmat as mentioned is also normally a $20 extra for most other card games. All in all I can't complain about the production values at all other than the art. Which really isn't horrible for the most part, it's just not great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I didn't have any of the issues you mentioned.

All of the Legendary games have the same blank dividers. It's not too hard to print out new ones on card stock with all of the names if you want them to be nicer. It takes a few tries to figure out the spacing, but once you do, you can save the file, and for future games just replace the text to make new ones that are already measured out.

I'll agree that the playmat is much nicer than a board, and that's where part of the cost is. 400ish cards plus an extra large playmat for $60msrp is not a terrible price.

If they had just put some effort into the card artwork instead of leaving us with a Kindergartner's rejects, I would be very happy with the game, but they didn't, so I'm afraid this game is always going to inspire some animosity and slight acid reflux for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the main problems with the Legendary Encounters games is that you get a box that is WAY too big for the amount of cards you get, but that playmat is pretty much the reason the box is that giant. At least, Aliens is getting an expansion to help take up some of the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vryllyn wrote:
I think the main problems with the Legendary Encounters games is that you get a box that is WAY too big for the amount of cards you get, but that playmat is pretty much the reason the box is that giant. At least, Aliens is getting an expansion to help take up some of the room.
Seconded, though I do think the Aliens cardstock is pretty poor, in my collection I think only Star Trek: Fleet Captains is worse. Some of my buddies have sleeved their cards to help addresses this issue, but that means that there probably won't be enough room for the expansion IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Vryllyn wrote:

I keep Aliens and Predator in the same box, which is nice, because otherwise I wouldn't ever pull the Predator set out at all. I was hoping to keep them together, but now that there's a new mat coming for Aliens, I will probably end up getting rid of Predator. Alternately, I may stick it in with Firefly, but part of me is tempted to put Firefly in it's own small card box, and have some sort of tube for the mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United Kingdom
Manchester
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of you mentioned the fact that you didn't have some of the issues I had, which leads me to conclude I may have just ended up with a "duff 'un". I'll maybe drop em an e-mail with some pics or something.

Interesting point on the large box being to accommodate the mat - I had assumed it was future proofing to accommodate potential future expansion packs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueMisterSix wrote:
Interesting point on the large box being to accommodate the mat - I had assumed it was future proofing to accommodate potential future expansion packs...

I believe its a bit of both, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vryllyn wrote:

I have Aliens and Predator in a single box and sleeved and there's still a fair amount of room left. (Not enough to add Firefly.) The box would be an even odder shape if it only had room for the cards and the mat. I'd rather have extra room for expansions (for example, with Firefly there's the movie and comics) and/or combining games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Well, I decided to ditch the box completely, and just put the cards into a 400 count card box. The mat and instructions went into a bag. I've done this with a bunch of my games, so I have the card boxes stacked up, and a box with all of the bags. When I want to bring games somewhere, I pull out the card boxes, with the matching bag for each box.

You can see how little room the cards actually take.

And how many games can fit on a shelf when you don't have the full sized boxes (the boards are all behind in a single box)

I've got a little suitcase/toolbox that holds 6 of the small card boxes with the bags on top, it's like a DIY bitbox system.

Unlike the Marvel Legendary system, which has thousands of cards and endless expansions, I doubt that Firefly is going to ever get an expansion, and it doesn't mesh well with the other sets, so I'm not worried about needing more space in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
Well, I decided to ditch the box completely, and just put the cards into a 400 count card box.

Aren't there 500 cards for the game? do all 500 (plus dividers) fit into a 400-count box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
markblasco wrote:
Well, I decided to ditch the box completely, and just put the cards into a 400 count card box.

Aren't there 500 cards for the game? do all 500 (plus dividers) fit into a 400-count box?

I don't know how many there are, but they all fit, although with very little room to spare. I didn't keep any extra dividers in there, but the cards are all inside and divided up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.