Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I have this right? I set up a basic interception scenario with a flight of Spitfires struggling into the air at lowest altitude, lowest speed (2), with German Heinkels incoming at one altitude band higher.

The Spits cannot climb at speed 2, so first they need to gain airspeed in level flight. To do THAT, they roll 1d6, add +3 for throttle, then subtract current speed (-2). They aren't turning, otherwise that would be additional negative die roll mods. But they fly straight, so no mod. Still, they need to get a 7+ to gain speed, which can only be done by rolling a 6 (+3-2). Anything else and they maintain speed 2. Do I have that right? If so, it confirms that those struggling Spits were scrambled too late, and at the scale of the map will almost certainly fail to intercept.

I suppose the incoming Spits could try to immediately turn 180° as the bombers pass overhead, hoping that the many, many turns it will take to climb to their level and chase them down can happen before the game clock runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
All absolutely correct. Try this situation in a computer flight sim, and you will find you have a very long and frustrating wait to catch up with the higher bombers in a tail chase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.