1776» Forums » Rules

Subject: Forced March Clarification ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Lorden
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Please weigh in on the following issue regarding Forced Marches.

The question is this:

If a stack has movement points left over after normal movement, and then
uses the Forced March rule to acquire additional movement points, can the points be then added together?

The rules, as I read them, do not actually explain this clearly, and I haven't been able to find much discussion of the issue.

Now, the rule state that Forced Marches are attempted "at the conclusion of all regular movement". The rule may have been written this way so that individual stacks don't MOVE and THEN attempt a forced march one at a time. In other words, the designer intended that Forced Marches all occur simultaneously.

BUT....

When a stack attempts a forced march, isn't it really trying to ADD additional movement points to it's basic allowance? For example, a BR (7 MP's) moves up against class 2 river and has 2 movement points remaining - not enough to cross into the clear hex on the other side. SO, the player decides to attempt a 1 MP Forced March, and if successful, moves across the river. Is it reasonable to say that (just because the unit does not have enough regular movement points) it LOSES them, and must roll for THREE additional MP's on the table to make the crossing? Isn't the Forced March an 'extension' of the regular movement?

Also, the rules DO state in paragraph 'E' that 'More than one Forced March situation cannot be created in cases where units (WITH THE SAME MOVEMENT ALLOWANCE), starting in the same hex, all have the same destination'.

The parenthesis in this rule suggest to me that in cases where a stack consists of units with DIFFERENT regular movement allowances, more than one Forced March COULD be attempted. The only possible reason I can think of for this, would be that those units, having different basic MP's, would not need the same number of Forced March MP's to complete the move - meaning that the MP's from the Forced March are indeed being added to the basic MP allowance.

What do you think? All comments and opinions are welcome. Is there a consensus here?

Thanks for your replies !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig,

I am no expert in this game, but I have always interpreted the rules as not intended to add regular movement with forced march attempts. Units are not required to use all their movement factors when they move. So in your example, the units encountering the Class 2 river would not be able to use its 2 remaining MPs due to the river. That ends their movement. Any forced march attempt is a separate process. So crossing rivers during a forced march attempt is risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Steve's explanation. "Forced Marches are attempted at the conclusion of all regular movement in the Movement Phase." Regular movement consisits of moving some, none or all of a units' MP allowance. Also, I believe there would have been something more mentioned in the rules if it was intended to add regular movement MPs to Forced March MPs. I removed the "(with the same movement allowance)" part in the 3rd Edition Rules because it appeared to be redundant. I took "movement allowance" to mean MP amount shown in the FM Table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.