Hide
10 Posts

Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Mode -> Path of the Damned rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Rodriguez
msg tools
For those who are interested on increase the difficulty during Solo Mode. Here are small variants might keep you on the edge of your table trying to survive and earn reputation in Eora. I recommend only try this new mode after you played at least 1-2 times the solitaire mode (so you are familiar with the mechanics and rules of the game)
I created these variants due to I noticed while I played couple of times in solo mode, achieve highest score was not hard, since the player can send all the army cards to attack even highest dungeon and there are no risk for been attacked later on. With this mode player may be attacked by monsters during the event die phase.

Solo Mode -> Path of Damned
http://www.evernote.com/l/AHNnyTlqJUdFrZPip3D0QQYl1BlkxbzWms...]

If you achieve a astounding victory (either by killing 3 bosses or getting minimum VP for that level) let me know because maximum I have reach in this new mode is 49 (Minor Victory) so far.
Beside I am working/thinking to create a 2nd part for those players that want to continue using a 2nd city deck after the first one is depleted. I will keep inform for any further new ideas. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
Hi there, maybe it is just me but I had a hard time understanding the solo rules have read them several times, could you explain them to me.
I was confused about the "You may only adventure and cannot attack, if you do not adventure, choose and adventure deck without a face up boss card etc??
Don't get the wandering monsters.

If you could make it clearer that would be a great help :-)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rodriguez
msg tools
Sure let me help you with that.

Here is what rulebook says about Combat Step.

You may only adventure and cannot choose to attack. If you
do not adventure, choose an adventure deck without a faceup
boss card and reveal the top card

Explanation:

You may only adventure and cannot choose to attack. ---> Since there are not other players you can only adventure through Dungeons or attack wandering monsters.

If you do not adventure, choose an adventure deck without a faceup
boss card and reveal the top card
---> If you don't want to adventure this turn you have to draw a Dungeon card that doesn't have a boss faceup already there

When adventuring, you can choose the wandering monsters
or the adventure deck. You can always adventure against
wandering monsters, even if there is a revealed boss.
----> The standard rules says while a boss is in play, adventuring players must combat a revealed boss instead of drawing an adventure card, so this means you cannot adventure trying another dungeon level since a boss is in play but you can adventure against wandering monster even the boss is in play

I hope this explanation helps you to understand in a clear way your concerns about solo mode. Let me know if you need anything else. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Haessler
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you!!Will try this.The game components and art design are so good, but the solo play totally lacks tension and difficulty.Keep up the great work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rodriguez
msg tools
I am glad you like it. I am pretty sure you will like when you try out this Path of the Damned mode, it makes the game more interesting and deadly. ninja

Let me know if you have any concerns, feedback, ideas to add to this variant.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brooks
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this tonight after playing the original solitaire rules the night before (first two plays of the game - haven't played multiplayer yet).

Summary: I like the Path of the Damned much more than the original rules.

The base rules don't provide enough tension - the threat to my own buildings was way too low, and the game was mostly about timing and resource management.

Still, playing Path for the first time I think I had an easy go of it. I got some nice building draws early that ramped up my resource production, and event die rolls that held off the bad guys long enough to ramp up.

I also like that this played faster - about an hour for me, but I'm still learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rodriguez
msg tools
I am glad you tried and like it.. yes the game is more challenging since the event die can change the balance at anytime (either to make things awful or kill boss with a biawac)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per R
Denmark
flag msg tools
By the look and feel of it, the solo play variant seems to play much better than the one in the rule book! Nice!

I have one clarifying question though:

1. Do you still roll one die to try and evade Wilderness Monsters when a Wilderness Monster (or two with random encounter) attacks your city for instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rodriguez
msg tools
No.. when a monster attack your city there is not way to avoid it. You must defend with units or destroy buildings depending on monsters total attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.