Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Play philosophy and being devoured rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
You're going to voyage through a land of wonders.
badge
Stunned amazement will probably be your habitual state of mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing a 4 investigator game solitaire and am facing a situation where all investigators will lose 2 Stamina at midnight due to a Mythos card. A particular adventure will add 2 Doom to the track at Midnight, and does 2 Stamina damage if you attempt it and fail. I am pondering whether to attempt the adventure with an investigator who has 4 Stamina. Failing it will mean their certain Devouring (plus adding a Doom to the track) while succeeding will prevent any Doom from being added. So it's 3 Doom (fail) vs 0 Doom (success), or 2 Doom if she does not attempt it at all.

I am used to playing the iOS app and in that, if an investigator is devoured, they are gone and not replaced. In the board game, it seems you can lose them without consequence - you just get a replacement, who will come in with not only full Sanity and Stamina, but a full hand of starting items as well. Unlike Arkham Horror, in this game items tend to get used up, so an "old" investigator does not necessarily have anything of value compared to a new one.

I am curious how people play this, both solitaire and multiplayer. Sacrificing yourself to save the world seems in character (and would make sense if the adventure that added 2 Doom would push the Ancient One to awakening) but, as here, where it will not awaken the Ancient One, it seems a heck of a risk - one which I would not take if I did not know the character would be replaced in the event of failure by one even stronger and better equipped.

Do you spend investigators like money? Or do you not risk Devourment unless there is no choice? How does it affect game balance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 4 investigator solitaire and death is permanent, no replacements.

If your investigator has a good shot at succeeding, I say go for it. If you can manage another round while building up supplies, or leaving it to another more capable investigator, try that.

But yeah, I don't understand the point of "respawn as a new investigator" except to make the game easier (and to avoid player elimination in a multiplayer game). Thematically it seems pretty lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's that hard to reframe the story such that you could imagine that an investigator would attempt an adventure that might kill them. Maybe they have courage, or hope. Maybe they don't know the adventure is going to cause "2 stamina" damage.

If you want investigators to matter more, try playing with fewer investigators. Since they are getting more turns, they should be able to accumulate more items, so it will seem like more of a loss to have one be devoured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with the app was that the fewer investigators there were, the easier the game was. So I tend to play four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
I play 4 investigator solitaire and death is permanent, no replacements.
I don't know if this is what you intended, but if you want to make it even more brutal, use the endgame rule where the dead investigator still gets a turn where nothing happens except the clock phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its worth noting that replacing an investigator is not without consequence. You do add 1 doom token to the tracker - which later in the game can make the difference.
I also find it difficult to get those investigators going again, as they do usually start with a couple of items but my other characters tend to be doing a lot better than that by then.

However to answer your overall question, if it was early game I would probably leave it in favour of building up a few more items/spells and tackle it next turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How often do you pick up spells/items and such? I can never figure out how to manage all that. Running 1 investigator, its just every other turn, get item 1 turn, then adventure the next. With 4 investigators, whats the best strategy? Each "day" 1 investigator gets to use their day to gain items, while the rest investigate? Maybe 2 and 2... Im just at a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
How often do you pick up spells/items and such? I can never figure out how to manage all that. Running 1 investigator, its just every other turn, get item 1 turn, then adventure the next. With 4 investigators, whats the best strategy? Each "day" 1 investigator gets to use their day to gain items, while the rest investigate? Maybe 2 and 2... Im just at a loss.
Generally, you want to win every adventure, so make sure you have enough supplies to do it. As a rough rule, you want two more dice than would be required to beat the adventure, so if it takes 5 dice to beat the adventure, you want to go in with seven. If there is a higher number of tasks and/or more difficult tasks, you want to have at least a couple clue tokens or other dice manipulation effects.

With those rules in mind, get rid of midnight effects and locked dice as soon as possible, then start with the easier adventures to build up more resources and then move to the harder ones. You can leave adventures that reward elder signs until later, because they won't give you as many items that will help you beat more adventures. Once you have a good stockpile (or have enough ES's on the visible adventures to win), start getting the Elder Signs. Other Worlds are normally an exception because even though they give ES's, they tend to have decent resource increases as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Generally, you want to win every adventure, so make sure you have enough supplies to do it. As a rough rule, you want two more dice than would be required to beat the adventure, so if it takes 5 dice to beat the adventure, you want to go in with seven. If there is a higher number of tasks and/or more difficult tasks, you want to have at least a couple clue tokens or other dice manipulation effects.

With those rules in mind, get rid of midnight effects and locked dice as soon as possible, then start with the easier adventures to build up more resources and then move to the harder ones. You can leave adventures that reward elder signs until later, because they won't give you as many items that will help you beat more adventures. Once you have a good stockpile (or have enough ES's on the visible adventures to win), start getting the Elder Signs. Other Worlds are normally an exception because even though they give ES's, they tend to have decent resource increases as well.

I had been just jumping on the ES rewards from the get-go. Waiting on those, and actually completing the smaller, easier adventures is probably what I need to focus on. Stockpile in the beginning, and then go on slaughtering sprees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got hit with the Death or Taxes card

Maybe you have to treat investigators as ammunition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh...I have yet to play with the Master Mythos cards from Unseen Forces...They seem so super brutal, albeit fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app is pretty brutal so I am used to it.

I couldn't bring myself to feed a perfectly good investigator to a card for the sake of material possessions so, a lot of good items were lost instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
Ugh...I have yet to play with the Master Mythos cards from Unseen Forces...They seem so super brutal, albeit fun.
But you're playing with blessings? Blessings make the game *so* much easier, I'd do anything I could to make the game harder (and I did!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:
But you're playing with blessings? Blessings make the game *so* much easier, I'd do anything I could to make the game harder (and I did!)

Well if you recall, I was playing with them incorrectly, making the blessing die a one-time use.

I definitely love the scale-ability and customization this game has to offer though. There are so many possibilities. I did a "mystic" build the other day with 4 spell-oriented investigators and that was a lot of fun.

The team was Dexter Drake, Agnes, Akachi, and I think Harvey Walters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
I definitely love the scale-ability and customization this game has to offer though. There are so many possibilities. I did a "mystic" build the other day with 4 spell-oriented investigators and that was a lot of fun.

I was thinking of doing a campaign mode where I would do one adventure in the museum, one in the streets of Arkham, and another in Alaska.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:

Well if you recall, I was playing with them incorrectly, making the blessing die a one-time use.

I was thinking of doing a campaign mode where I would do one adventure in the museum, one in the streets of Arkham, and another in Alaska.

That sounds like fun. Omens of Ice is definitely my favorite for the pulp adventure aspect.

Have you ever read Into Thin Air? It's an account written by a magazine writer who journeyed up Mt. Everest with a large expedition. Omens of Ice makes me feel that theme a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:

Surviving investigators will ask for retirement afterwards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.