Subject: A worthy expansion to an already great game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black, you have expanded your galaxies as far into known space as you can, fighting bitterly with your rivals over every possible planet. It's time to find new territory, and the only way to do that is to upgrade your ships and hire pilots. The expansion is available on September 7th on Kickstarter for a pledge of $24 (or $46 will get you both Tiny Epic Galaxies and its expansion, if you don't own the original game). Let's talk about how the expansion changes the game.

Setup - Setup is done the same as the normal game with the following additions:
1. Add Planet Cards from the expansion into the planet deck and shuffle
2. Shuffle the Secret Mission Cards from the expansion into secret mission deck.
3. Shuffle the deck of Pilot Cards, and draw two more than the number of players. Place these face up in a row, above the row of Planet Cards.
4. Give each player a Hanger Card and their four Advanced Ships in their player color.
5. Place the Exploration Mat where everyone can reach it. and shuffle and place the circular deck of Exploration Cards face down on the mat.

Game Play - Game Play is done the same as the normal game with the additional two actions.
1. Hiring Pilots - On your turn, you may activate a certain number of dice symbols (2 matching symbols depending on the ship or 3 matching symbols for any ship) to hire a Pilot and replace one of your normal Ships with an Advanced Ship.
2. Exploration - Using a Move A Ship action, you can place a ship onto the Exploration Mat to explore. You then take one of the revealed Exploration Cards and end the exploration OR take the top card from the Exploration Deck. If you take the latter action, you can keep drawing and revealing new cards until there are three face up or a red card is drawn. You then resolve the action with the card you have selected and end exploration.

The game still ends when one player reaches 21 or more points (from Planets, Empire Level, Pilot Cards, and Dwarf Planets. You then score any bonus points from Secret Missions and Exploration Badges located at the bottom of the Exploration Cards.

Review
Expansions are a lot like sequels in that they almost never live up to the original. Thankfully, Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black breaks the mold. For starters, even though I only have a prototype of the game, I can tell that the artwork and quality did not suffer from the original game to the expansion. In fact any component upgrades the first Kickstarter campaign unlocked are automatically included in this expansion. Secondly, the expansion adds in more Planet Cards and Secret Mission Cards to add more variability to the game. Third, are the Pilot Cards. Each of them provide different abilities adding an asymmetric element to the game. It will be up to you to discover which combination of pilots works best for you from game to game. Also on the Pilot Cards and Exploration Cards are symbols which add a set collection element to the game. This brings me lastly to the Exploration Cards. With these cards, we add a press your luck element to the game.

So now in addition to area control and dice activation, we have added two fun game mechanisms to an already great game. This gives each player more options on what to do with their dice and adds even more replay value to the game. They were also smart to keep the end game trigger at 21 points. By keeping this the same, the game doesn't get bogged down and feel like it overstays its welcome. I am always amazed at the amount of strategy that Gamelyn Games is able to pack into their Tiny Epic boxes, but somehow they find a way. If you are already a fan of Tiny Epic Galaxies, you NEED this expansion. If you've never played Tiny Epic Galaxies, you'll WANT the game and expansion.

This game prototype was provided to me for free by Gamelyn Games in exchange for an honest review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dismas wrote:
The expansion is available currently on Kickstarter for a pledge of $24

Doesn't seem to be showing up yet when I search. I thought it was due to launch next month anyway?

Nice review; I'm seriously considering picking up this one and the main game in one go. I'm just not sure how much more space (pun intended) there is in my life for another sci-fi themed dice game (I already own Roll for the Galaxy, Alien Frontiers and Space Cadets Dice Duel).
How much longer does it make the game? For me, the whole appeal of the original was the quick play time. If it takes the play time out to that of RFG then I'll probably pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
HEEEEEEEEEELLLP MEEEEEEEEEE..AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Penguinised wrote:
Dismas wrote:

Doesn't seem to be showing up yet when I search. I thought it was due to launch next month anyway?

Nice review; I'm seriously considering picking up this one and the main game in one go. I'm just not sure how much more space (pun intended) there is in my life for another sci-fi themed dice game (I already own Roll for the Galaxy, Alien Frontiers and Space Cadets Dice Duel).
How much longer does it make the game? For me, the whole appeal of the original was the quick play time. If it takes the play time out to that of RFG then I'll probably pass.

Gamelyn's site (and their facebook page) states the kickstarter will launch september 7th
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May want to ensure the accuracy of your review before posting. It could be misconstrued as a (p)review rather than honest review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petoly wrote:
Gamelyn's site (and their facebook page) states the kickstarter will launch september 7th

Thanks for that, I was clearly misremembering something I'd read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once your exploration ends via one of the two methods mentioned above, are you finished exploring for your whole turn, or can you spend another move dice and start exploring again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petoly wrote:
Penguinised wrote:
Dismas wrote:

September 7th is correct. It can sometimes takes a while for reviews to get approved, so wasn't sure when this would show up on BGG's website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danielpbarker wrote:
Once your exploration ends via one of the two methods mentioned above, are you finished exploring for your whole turn, or can you spend another move dice and start exploring again?

It takes a Move a Ship action from the die to get on the Exploration Mat. Your ship then stays on the mat and must use a Move a Ship action to leave and go to a planet of your Galaxy Mat. Once you leave, you could come back. (Essentially it would take three Move a Ship actions for one ship to explore twice.)

Notes: You can explore when following a Move a Ship action. Multiple ships from one or different players can explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know if the expansion can be played with the solo variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be played solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
It can be played solo

Awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabiano Rossini
msg tools
With BtB, the playmat is outdated, because of new elements to setup. For sure still usable with lack of slots for pilots, but have space.

May you talk more about advanced ships?

Any sleeve solution for cards in a circle format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dismas wrote:
petoly wrote:
Penguinised wrote:
Dismas wrote:

September 7th is correct. It can sometimes takes a while for reviews to get approved, so wasn't sure when this would show up on BGG's website.

Any news?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our target is an 8am EST launch! So, as I'm writing this, only 23 minutes away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
HEEEEEEEEEELLLP MEEEEEEEEEE..AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
Our target is an 8am EST launch! So, as I'm writing this, only 23 minutes away.

Good thing i have insomnia tonight snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.