5 Posts

Imperial Settlers» Forums » General

Subject: Enjoyable churn, but luck factor seems too high rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
After three games, this seems to be my take-away. Sure, there's some strategizing for optimal plays, but at the end of the day it feels like you just get 10 more points because you just happened to get this one card and you just happened to have these other cards out, or this other player lost because they never drew their uber-powered faction card.

What are your thoughts after more games? Is this just a "love it or hate it" aspect of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it more. You will discover ways of getting more cards, will discover more great combinations etc.
If you always start with the same cards, every time you play is likely to be the same as the previous as well as the next and you might quickly start a thread about limited replayability. I score pretty consistently, no matter which cards I get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I'm wondering if I should switch back to the default Lookout phase, instead of the variant in the rulebook. The variant sounded faster and more fair, but now I'm seeing the default allows for more choices. But it's not much a difference in 2-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I preffer the default variant, because I can see what my opponent is drafting and, sometimes, deny a card that is really important to him/her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolfe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing with my group, we barely scored anything. The first few times, it seemed like there wasn't enough resources, enough cards to draw, and enough ways to score points. It took a while to get the hang of the resource management and card interactions. Each faction also plays differently from the others. Now, we score much higher and build extensive empires each game. Luck of the draw can give you a leg up, but optimal play makes a much bigger difference in scoring. One card doesn't make as much difference as creating synergies with the cards you draw.

Things to consider for optimal play: what order to build cards (minimize costs while generating more Goods), raze Common cards that don't benefit your tactics but offer useful resources, make Deals early to boost your Production, utilize Action cards to supplement your Production, and don't miss opportunities to draw more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.