Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Different colors for WK's official acrylic templates. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WK only made their acrylic templates in blue.

With different colors having a strong association with their respective factions, I just can't bring myself to buy what will feel like Federation templates as I only play Klingons.

Any hope that WK will release different colored templates? They did release different colored bases, which FFG later copied. lol

I want red, but Independent players may want yellow, Romulans green, Dominion purple, and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um... I thought they did release different colors.
Green for Romulan
Red for Klingon
Purple for Dominion
at least I purchased them (I think).
I think the black ones I got were prizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is talking about the maneuver templates not the bases.

I haven't heard anything about different colors for the templates. My local store usually keeps me up to date with the current releases. WK did make red templates for D&D AW but from what I understand they are not the same size. I have seen some 3rd party templates but they are a little more expensive than the WK ones. Litco and Corsec Engineering make templates in a variety of colors, one of will even make them with custome inscriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw these on eBay. Not a bad price, even with shipping from the UK. The WK templates retail around $21.

(http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...mmPk_TNiXVav_7mBPRsKcw2Q)

Looks like he only had red left, otherwise I would be all over the green ones.

There is also this guy who has blue, red, and purple.

(http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...mmJE7cYe1Zvs8L7o7ta17m-A)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing templates the same or different? I know there is a red set there...
Ditto for Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game,,,?

(Edit)
I also know Litko makes a clear set especially for ST:AW,
and can make them in fluorescent amber, blue, purple, or green
for Klingon, Federation, Dominion, and Romulan (respecively).

http://www.litko.net/products/Space-Wing%2C-Maneuver-Gauge-S...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of Cog O Two's templates:

http://www.cogotwo.com/st-attack-wing-compatible

Oddly enough my Borg ones actually came in black rather than the translucent green. Not a major issue as I added some luminous green too them and now they look very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pantner
Australia
flag msg tools
White Elk wrote:
Are the Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing templates the same or different? I know there is a red set there...

(Edit)

The X-Wing ones are definitely different. Not sure about D&D ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought it a bit strange that they didn't make them in different colours - they were making the different coloured bases by that point too, so had the idea of faction colours...

Perhaps they weren't super popular? I know I bought them as they were official and having a non bendy range ruler was handy for on the line arc measurements!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pedro_ak wrote:
I always thought it a bit strange that they didn't make them in different colours - they were making the different coloured bases by that point too, so had the idea of faction colours...

Perhaps they weren't super popular? I know I bought them as they were official and having a non bendy range ruler was handy for on the line arc measurements!

I see extras of the templates still around, where I rarely see the colored base packs. So maybe you are right and they weren't particularly popular. I know my set definitely has QC issues.....well, Wizkids. A given template is too wide on one end to fit in the ship base slot and then so narrow at the other that is allows a sort of micro-sensor echo effect.

And as others have pointed to, there are some clearly superior alternatives out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Wene wrote:
A given template is too wide on one end to fit in the ship base slot and then so narrow at the other that is allows a sort of micro-sensor echo effect.

That is odd. I have a WK set and a couple of the guys that play at the local store have them too and we haven't seen any issues. Most of the folks I saw at regionals had them and no issue. You may have gotten a pack made on a Friday afternoon, you should see if you can get a replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, it was easy enough to file off the one end. Makes em unique I guess. Besides it makes me keep considering the Litko version with the nicer range rulers and tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
I am a big fan of Cog O Two's templates:

http://www.cogotwo.com/st-attack-wing-compatible

Oddly enough my Borg ones actually came in black rather than the translucent green. Not a major issue as I added some luminous green too them and now they look very nice.

Those look pretty cool, but I see they don't always like to sell to those outside the UK for the sake of costs. I wonder how big of an order would need to be placed to make them interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought mine from Litko in Fed blue with my initials. This was before WK decided to do their own templates. I've liked them a lot. I also bought range rulers in 1, 2, and 3 length so I could put them between ships to check the range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My store has a guy who has those in orange, I keep forgetting to ask where he got the custom range rulers. Probably Litko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I bought two full sets of custom templates from Litko, and we love them. One of them in blue with "WWPD?" and a little picture of the Picard facepalm, and the other as you see below (probably more what Steve is after, I reckon):

Keep in mind that while Litko's templates are pretty much perfectly matched to the "official" Wizkids proportions, they're not allowed in WK-hosted tournaments because they're made by a third party.

I also very much recommend their 3-piece range ruler sets which include separate Range 1 and Range 1-2 rulers pieces. Very handy for measuring range precisely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's another set I've seen pictures of that looks very nice. Never seen them in person though.

http://krakenskulls.com/product/mission-tokens-light-blue/

I know the link says mission tokens, but it actually goes to he movement templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't use them for a tourney? Well that sucks. Not likely I'd ever go to one, but I'll just remember to keep my originals then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
You can't use them for a tourney? Well that sucks. Not likely I'd ever go to one, but I'll just remember to keep my originals then.

I think "WK-hosted tournaments" is the key phrase here though. My local OP TO's haven't cared from what I have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Wene wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

I think "WK-hosted tournaments" is the key phrase here though. My local OP TO's haven't cared from what I have seen.

Sorry, I was referring to those as well. My local store doesn't seem to mind either. Local events and casually are likely the only ways I'd play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Wene wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

At the Baltimore Regionals lots of people had 3rd party templates and the WK guys didn't carw either I would venture the only place where you should leave them at home is Worlds where the company big wigs come out. Outside of that you're probably ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
Mike Wene wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

At the Baltimore Regionals lots of people had 3rd party templates and the WK guys didn't carw either I would venture the only place where you should leave them at home is Worlds where the company big wigs come out. Outside of that you're probably ok.

Definitely NOT attending that. I get nervous enough playing at local events. Besides, It's not as fun for me playing that competitively. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:

Definitely NOT attending that. I get nervous enough playing at local events. Besides, It's not as fun for me playing that competitively. *shrug*

I was apprehensive at first too, but for the most part it was a great event with lots of friendly players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. ^^ I might attend one just to watch and what it's like first though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pantner wrote:
White Elk wrote:

(Edit)

The X-Wing ones are definitely different. Not sure about D&D ones

Just ran into this at an event a couple of days ago, and while it appeared that the straights and the turns were the same length and shape, the 1 and 2 banks were different between the D&D and AW sets. The 3 was the same though, and I'm not sure if the 4 was compared. So I would not recommend buying a D&D set of acrylic templates for use with AW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D attack wing bases are the same however! So if you want yellow or black bases, they are a good shout - seem to go for pretty good prices too..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.