Colin Nordstrom
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea if this might be in the works? More tiles is always a good thing. Race was really fleshed out after two expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
The first expansion added variety to the starting tiles, which was nice for people that played a lot. I don't think that adding a bunch more tiles is going to add much to the game. I do think produce / ship is weak in two player games and that makes the starting tiles a bit unbalanced. (At least in my experience.) So there might be some useful tweak there. But otherwise the base game plus Ambition is pretty good. I'd rather see a second expansion add something new rather than just provide more of the same. I'm also not interested in adding ways for players to attack each other as that tends to produce balance of power games which I generally don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Tom has said that he hopes to have something for roll fans next year. He hasn't said what though. I've just posted the quote in the news forum:

Something new for Roll next year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunowolff wrote:
I don't think that adding a bunch more tiles is going to add much to the game.

Really? My group usually empties the bag each game. Explore/Tile Denial is a strong strategy. More tiles would be very, very welcome around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RockLobster wrote:
brunowolff wrote:
I don't think that adding a bunch more tiles is going to add much to the game.

Really? My group usually empties the bag each game. Explore/Tile Denial is a strong strategy. More tiles would be very, very welcome around here.

But the bag never stays empty? You would have to put tiles back in the bag so the player could still explore. Granted you could control what tiles you put back in, but you cant stop them from getting tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunowolff wrote:
The first expansion added variety to the starting tiles, which was nice for people that played a lot. I don't think that adding a bunch more tiles is going to add much to the game. I do think produce / ship is weak in two player games and that makes the starting tiles a bit unbalanced. (At least in my experience.) So there might be some useful tweak there. But otherwise the base game plus Ambition is pretty good. I'd rather see a second expansion add something new rather than just provide more of the same. I'm also not interested in adding ways for players to attack each other as that tends to produce balance of power games which I generally don't like.

While I'd agree with this, taking arc 1 Race For The Galaxy as an example, the game was great as each set was played, but each expansion after that did make add some new things that made something great even better.

If nothing else, they can always introduce new tiles with more/unique effects. Takeovers can be too wonky, and I figured so could Roll's version of Prestige. Even something that lets you build 2 tiles in a single phase may receive some outcry. Hmm, then again probably not on a 2nd expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Letourneau
Canada
flag msg tools
you can build more than 1 tile in a single round already though. Just need the dice and the tiles in the pile for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
detpurroc wrote:
you can build more than 1 tile in a single round already though. Just need the dice and the tiles in the pile for it.
indeed. Better to say build a dev and world in the same phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galagaew wrote:
But the bag never stays empty? You would have to put tiles back in the bag so the player could still explore.

Yes. And?

More tiles are good. Disagree if you wish, but it changes nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RockLobster wrote:
galagaew wrote:
But the bag never stays empty? You would have to put tiles back in the bag so the player could still explore.

Yes. And?

More tiles are good. Disagree if you wish, but it changes nothing.

I don't understand. If we assume all tiles have the same value, then why would it matter whether the bag contains 3 tiles or 100 tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
If we assume all tiles have the same value, then why would it matter whether the bag contains 3 tiles or 100 tiles?

Variety of experience?

There's more to a game than just balance. "Flip a coin to see who wins" is perfectly balanced, but that doesn't make it the ideal game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
nbread wrote:
If we assume all tiles have the same value, then why would it matter whether the bag contains 3 tiles or 100 tiles?

Variety of experience?

There's more to a game than just balance. "Flip a coin to see who wins" is perfectly balanced, but that doesn't make it the ideal game.

Agreed, but I assumed that his "more tiles are better" comment was related to his earlier comment:
Quote:
My group usually empties the bag each game. Explore/Tile Denial is a strong strategy.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what explore/tile denial means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:

I assume it refers to depleting the bag of strong tiles and/or the tiles that your opponent needs. A larger bag makes that harder to do. Your statement, "If we assume all tiles have the same value," is not too relevant, because of course all tiles are not equally valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
nbread wrote:

I assume it refers to depleting the bag of strong tiles and/or the tiles that your opponent needs. A larger bag makes that harder to do. Your statement, "If we assume all tiles have the same value," is not too relevant, because of course all tiles are not equally valuable.

If that's what he meant, then fair enough -- that makes sense. By writing:
Quote:
My group usually empties the bag each game. Explore/Tile Denial is a strong strategy.

I thought he was saying that his group was literally emptying the bag, thus making it impossible for other players to explore at all. That didn't make any sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
I thought he was saying that his group was literally emptying the bag, thus making it impossible for other players to explore at all. That didn't make any sense to me.

Literally, "emptying the bag" means that you've seen every tile, so you can be sure to take the tile you most want to gain or to deprive your opponent of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RockLobster wrote:
More tiles are good.

More tiles are a two-edged sword. On one hand, greater variety, snazzy new powers, etc. On the other hand, a reduced chance on each bag draw of finding a specific 6-dev that fits well with your current tableau, which introduces more luck into the game.

Be careful what you wish for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
RockLobster wrote:
More tiles are good.

More tiles are a two-edged sword. On one hand, greater variety, snazzy new powers, etc. On the other hand, a reduced chance on each bag draw of finding a specific 6-dev that fits well with your current tableau, which introduces more luck into the game.

Add more tiles to the mix but cap the number of tiles in the bag?

Tableau with +3 search can search either the bag or discard tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

searching the discards adds a lot of rules on timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
RockLobster wrote:
More tiles are good.

Add more tiles to the mix but cap the number of tiles in the bag?

Typically my group plays with a five tile limit per type rule to avoid simple tile denial tactics. Makes the game a bit more strategic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance House
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Bankler wrote:
Quote:

searching the discards adds a lot of rules on timing.

Discard tiles? either I have been playing wrong or I don't quite get what you mean. I've never seen a discard pile in Roll before, when we explore you select new tiles/replacement tiles but after grabbing the new ones from the bag you put the ones you replaced back in the bag no? So there is never a tile that isn't either in the bag or on someone's build queue?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Larnz wrote:
So there is never a tile that isn't either in the bag or on someone's build queue?

Incorrect. Tiles discarded during Explore go under the Explore tile, not back into the bag (unless the bag runs out). At the end of Explore, mix the discarded tiles back into the bag (in practice, many players do this at the end of each round).

See rules, page 5, Explore: Scout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance House
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Larnz wrote:
So there is never a tile that isn't either in the bag or on someone's build queue?

Incorrect. Tiles discarded during Explore go under the Explore tile, not back into the bag (unless the bag runs out). At the end of Explore, mix the discarded tiles back into the bag (in practice, many players do this at the end of each round).

See rules, page 5, Explore: Scout.

Ahh cool! Thanks Tom. I somehow never had this right, that actually makes a lot of sense and means someone wont get the tile I just put back in the bag this round.

Thanks muchly for that.

I still can't imagine the bag running out of tiles though, each player would need a mountain of a stack in their build queues to run out in a given round I would think based on my plays. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with more than probably 8 tiles in total across both settle/Development queues. That is, of course, unless I have something else wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing. Love Roll for the galaxy and that fact that it adds some extra starting tiles.

Now if and when they do another expansion, I hope they add a bot of some sort like they did for Race with Gathering storm. Or at least give credit to the guy who made a Solo variant here on BGG. It's a great bot for a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.