Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to know, with the current meta, does anyone have any idea how to effectively use Summon Iron Rhino in their deck? In many games I played, every time I attempt to use Summon Iron Rhino, it slow down my tempo significantly due to the amount of dice I have to use (including the fact we have to pay additional cost of 1 Natural Class dice to put the Spell down).

As there are so many Unit control cards like Blood Chain, Regress, Change Psyche, Deep Freeze, Fade Away, Transfer, Steady Gaze and Frostback Bear, it seems not worth summoning Iron Rhino as it could not be utilize to great effect and leads to high opportunity costs.

Though there are some who may say that Iron Rhino can be useful to Dimona and Orrick, yet again it just slow down the tempo.

Would appreciate if you can share you build and perhaps provide some explanation how can you effectively utilise Summon Iron Rhino.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Summon Iron Rhino is an excellent card to discard to pay for Coal's Slash ability.

I assume it would be equally good to discard for Chant of Protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But then Anchornaut is an even better card to discard to activate Coal's ability because you can bring Anchornaut back without damage penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Absolutely.

I was being a bit cheeky, in that SIR isn't good for much else but discarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Lenz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I can see Iron Rhino being good when your opponent is almost out of cards. Most of the control cards would have been used up, and focus 2 will make it only cost 4 resources by that point which isn't bad for a unit this strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game, as I find as you play the pre-constructed deck, it feels essential that you should have a Summon Iron Rhino cards in hand. However, as you play the first Summon Iron Rhino, you do not bring any Iron Rhino on the same turn. You need to get at least another Summon Iron Rhino card to put down on the board.

Even if you pay the resource to have your second Summon Iron Rhino card, you still do not bring out the Iron Rhino until the subsequent. Because if you do it at the same turn, you will most likely use six resource and that may limit you (severely) to pay to play other cards or to trigger other card abilities.

I've made some mistakes during the initial play by discarding Iron Rhino to activate Coal's slash. Later I find when playing against another player in using pre-constructed decks, there can be a danger to Coal not drawing any Ally unit cards or they most of his Ally units have been destroyed (though it is possible to bring back Anchornaut). Therefore, Coal need some ways to put some strong units on the battlefield to threaten his opponents. This is where Summon Iron Rhino comes in. You should work to get second summon spell out and hopefully have the third one so the costs will be much cheaper. The risk is when Summon Iron Rhino is discarded from the draw deck through Meditate or other opponent's PB or card abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I reduced the cost to place a Rhino in play by 1 (die).
I play only with base decks and only casual with friends, and while my playtest is limited for now, I see this tweak working without being unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From further play, I realize you should always start off with Summon Iron Rhino in your hand. Do not ever discard it. Play 1 Natural Class to put the Summon Iron Rhino onto your spellboard. Do not summon any Iron Rhino during the turn you put the spell down. Wait until you get the Summon Iron Rhino spell and put it onto the board so you'll need to pay 5 Basic dice. Even if you have put your second Summon Iron Rhino spell down, do not summon any of the conjuration. Only do it in the subsequent round.

Summon Iron Rhino is still an important spell to play in Coal's pre-constructed deck because there will be occasions that you do not draw any Allies or that they are destroyed. As such, you need to have some Iron Rhinoes for defence and offence.

Though the cost to Summon the Iron Rhinoes are high, they can still be effectively played when you have 2 of the summoning spell cards on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.