Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Wits & Wagers: Epic Geek Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Whats going on with this edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Cullen
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Avatar
I remember being pretty pumped for this game, but the price was high when it hit kickstarter. There were some other issues people had, some controversy for whatever reasons and then....Nothing. Silence. Kickstarter shut down and that was the last I heard of it.

Looks like there was a demo at gen con so it wasn't dropped completely, anyone try it? Any idea when it will get released? What is going on with this?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We're still working on it. I think about it nearly every day. The goal is to have a Kickstarter in March and to release it at GenCon 2017.

But it's still up in the air. OUr company going through growing pains at the moment, so there are infrastructure issues that need to be tended to while we work on development of the game. North Star Games released an average of 1 game every 2 years for over 10 years. In 2016 we have already released 3 games! While that's not very many games for a company of our size (20 people), it's a lot more then we are used to. We prefer to spend an extra exorbitant amount of time and energy into getting a game exactly perfect before we release it. So while I cannot guarantee the release date, or even the name that we'll settle upon, I can guarantee that it'll be worth the wait. We're have some pretty amazing plans that we're cooking up. It's just needing to be reenvisioned from the ground up, and that takes time...
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cullen
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thanks for the response Dominic! I think whats important is that you guys are in it for the long-haul. Take care of your company so you can continue to make great games in a positive environment! Everyone will still be here when you decide to release so take your time. I'm glad to see it wasn't shelved!

Can you tease us with some sample questions? Its been so long since I've played a quiz game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We currently have 1,013 potential questions on our spreadsheet but we're very far away from making any decisions. We'll probably get the list up to 2k or 3k before culling it down to the best 250.

But I'm jumping way ahead of ourselves here. The first priority is to figure out the name of the game in conjunction with the concept for the game. Then we will redesign the game from the ground up with that concept in mind. The art, the game mechanics, and the questions will work hand in hand so that everything turns into a fully integrated whole.

The short answer is... no, I cannot tease you with any sample questions yet. Sorry!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dexter Ward
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will a heads-up be sent to backers of the cancelled kickstarter when the new kickstarter is active?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocrypha wrote:
Will a heads-up be sent to backers of the cancelled kickstarter when the new kickstarter is active?


Definitely. We're still working on it, but it's somewhat on the back burner as we figure out how to incorporate a bunch of new hires into the work flow. The game play architecture is solid which is the most important thing. Many of the special powers are solid too, but we are working on the art style, the characters, and a few other team play ideas.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more news?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check out our facebook page (www.facebook.com/northstargames), you can watch a couple of playtest sessions of what will be Team Wits & Wagers, which has a superhero theme, and it what is rising from the ashes of Epic Geek.

We will also be posting a bunch of artwork that at some point was considered for the game on social media with the hashtag #teamwits

Finally, you can sign up for our newsletter at (www.northstargames.com) and receive the latest information on ALL our games.


Hope this helps,



Bruce
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
New_Zealand_Neil wrote:
Any more news?


As Bruce said above, the best way to keep informed is to get on our mailing list. But here are a few early stage concept sketches to give you an idea of where it's going. The working title is Team Wits & Wagers: Superheroes vs Supervillains




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
If this is going to be a superhero & villian theme instead of Epic Geek then you can count me out. Lost interest in superheros after my teenage years.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cullen
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hey Bruce and Dominic, thanks for being so diligent in your responses!

The Super Heroes vs Villains sounds very intriguing! Will questions be in regards to matching them together or more generated towards their relationships? Will they be date specific(For instance, depending on when you got into Batman, The Joker had a different backstory)? Will it include Video Game trivia as well then?

Are you able to talk a little about why you switched from A "Geek Edition" to a more specific "Heroes/Villains edition"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The questions will not be about superheroes. They will be normal Wits & Wagers type questions about everyday things (sometimes superheroes). But each player will have a unique power that pertains to their character that affect the game play. The interaction of these powers adds a layer of strategy to the Wits & Wagers concept. It's also played as a team game with the superheroes on one team and the supervillains on the other.

The concept for the Epic Geek edition was similar, but we discovered that the superhero theme works better with what we're trying to do.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig P
msg tools
So, obviously a March Kickstarter didn't happen. Any update as to the projected timeline on this? Thank.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
We currently have 1,013 potential questions on our spreadsheet but we're very far away from making any decisions. We'll probably get the list up to 2k or 3k before culling it down to the best 250.

But I'm jumping way ahead of ourselves here. The first priority is to figure out the name of the game in conjunction with the concept for the game. Then we will redesign the game from the ground up with that concept in mind. The art, the game mechanics, and the questions will work hand in hand so that everything turns into a fully integrated whole.

The short answer is... no, I cannot tease you with any sample questions yet. Sorry!


I know I wrote about 60 of those questions. It's sad that this project isn't going to see the light of day.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
domcrap wrote:
We currently have 1,013 potential questions on our spreadsheet but we're very far away from making any decisions. We'll probably get the list up to 2k or 3k before culling it down to the best 250.

But I'm jumping way ahead of ourselves here. The first priority is to figure out the name of the game in conjunction with the concept for the game. Then we will redesign the game from the ground up with that concept in mind. The art, the game mechanics, and the questions will work hand in hand so that everything turns into a fully integrated whole.

The short answer is... no, I cannot tease you with any sample questions yet. Sorry!


I know I wrote about 60 of those questions. It's sad that this project isn't going to see the light of day.

The fact that this project isn't being made right now isn't for lack of trying. Dom & Co. put it out there and it got a collective pass from the hobby gaming community (at least that part of it that interacts with Kickstarter). So, I'll give them that they tried.

If I went up to Dom next week and said, "Here's a check for one million US dollars, do a print run of W&W: EGE and give me one copy of that run and I'll give you this check. You can do with the rest of the print run as you please.", Dom would likely take that deal and then start selling the rest of the copies. But as I don't have a million dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now, we will have to wait and see what the future brings...

-M_R
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
domcrap wrote:
We currently have 1,013 potential questions on our spreadsheet but we're very far away from making any decisions. We'll probably get the list up to 2k or 3k before culling it down to the best 250.

But I'm jumping way ahead of ourselves here. The first priority is to figure out the name of the game in conjunction with the concept for the game. Then we will redesign the game from the ground up with that concept in mind. The art, the game mechanics, and the questions will work hand in hand so that everything turns into a fully integrated whole.

The short answer is... no, I cannot tease you with any sample questions yet. Sorry!


I know I wrote about 60 of those questions. It's sad that this project isn't going to see the light of day.

The fact that this project isn't being made right now isn't for lack of trying. Dom & Co. put it out there and it got a collective pass from the hobby gaming community (at least that part of it that interacts with Kickstarter). So, I'll give them that they tried.

If I went up to Dom next week and said, "Here's a check for one million US dollars, do a print run of W&W: EGE and give me one copy of that run and I'll give you this check. You can do with the rest of the print run as you please.", Dom would likely take that deal and then start selling the rest of the copies. But as I don't have a million dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now, we will have to wait and see what the future brings...

-M_R


Yeah but they made copies and decided to destroy them rather than sell them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cullen
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Avatar
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
domcrap wrote:
We currently have 1,013 potential questions on our spreadsheet but we're very far away from making any decisions. We'll probably get the list up to 2k or 3k before culling it down to the best 250.

But I'm jumping way ahead of ourselves here. The first priority is to figure out the name of the game in conjunction with the concept for the game. Then we will redesign the game from the ground up with that concept in mind. The art, the game mechanics, and the questions will work hand in hand so that everything turns into a fully integrated whole.

The short answer is... no, I cannot tease you with any sample questions yet. Sorry!


I know I wrote about 60 of those questions. It's sad that this project isn't going to see the light of day.

The fact that this project isn't being made right now isn't for lack of trying. Dom & Co. put it out there and it got a collective pass from the hobby gaming community (at least that part of it that interacts with Kickstarter). So, I'll give them that they tried.

If I went up to Dom next week and said, "Here's a check for one million US dollars, do a print run of W&W: EGE and give me one copy of that run and I'll give you this check. You can do with the rest of the print run as you please.", Dom would likely take that deal and then start selling the rest of the copies. But as I don't have a million dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now, we will have to wait and see what the future brings...

-M_R


Yeah but they made copies and decided to destroy them rather than sell them.



Woah wait a sec, there were copies?

Dominic, if any copies survived "the purge" I would gladly buy one. PM me if that's a possibility!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
domcrap wrote:
We currently have 1,013 potential questions on our spreadsheet but we're very far away from making any decisions. We'll probably get the list up to 2k or 3k before culling it down to the best 250.

But I'm jumping way ahead of ourselves here. The first priority is to figure out the name of the game in conjunction with the concept for the game. Then we will redesign the game from the ground up with that concept in mind. The art, the game mechanics, and the questions will work hand in hand so that everything turns into a fully integrated whole.

The short answer is... no, I cannot tease you with any sample questions yet. Sorry!


I know I wrote about 60 of those questions. It's sad that this project isn't going to see the light of day.

The fact that this project isn't being made right now isn't for lack of trying. Dom & Co. put it out there and it got a collective pass from the hobby gaming community (at least that part of it that interacts with Kickstarter). So, I'll give them that they tried.

If I went up to Dom next week and said, "Here's a check for one million US dollars, do a print run of W&W: EGE and give me one copy of that run and I'll give you this check. You can do with the rest of the print run as you please.", Dom would likely take that deal and then start selling the rest of the copies. But as I don't have a million dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now, we will have to wait and see what the future brings...

-M_R


Yeah but they made copies and decided to destroy them rather than sell them.


That does not exactly paint the correct picture. 50 or so copies were made as a sample, and to use for playtesting purposes. After playing with the idea it was decided the project was not going to work.

So a few copies were mocked up, it was not like a print run was made. At the end of the day it was not a project we felt was up to North Star games standards. At North Star games we believe we have a reputation for well made games that show a certain level of design polish. Geek Wits didn't have that, and we realized that before a whole print run was made.

A lot of the ideas (like individual player powers) will be used in our upcoming Team Wits and Wagers game Superheroes vs Supervillains.

I hope this provides some insight.


Bruce
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
Yeah but they made copies and decided to destroy them rather than sell them.


?!! surprise

Did you read that on the internet? I'm guessing it was under a section about how North Star Games made a pact with the devil and how they drink unicorn blood for breakfast.

laugh

Just kidding. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you thinking we had copies of the game and that people were trying to hand us money... but we wouldn't take their money and decided to destroy the copies instead? That seems like a really weird thing to believe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
Yeah but they made copies and decided to destroy them rather than sell them.


?!! surprise

Did you read that on the internet? I'm guessing it was under a section about how North Star Games made a pact with the devil and how they drink unicorn blood for breakfast.

laugh

Just kidding. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you thinking we had copies of the game and that people were trying to hand us money... but we wouldn't take their money and decided to destroy the copies instead? That seems like a really weird thing to believe.


Not to point blame, but I think Tom Vasel said something about it during the JVMF auction when he auctioned off a copy. whistle

I just wonder if any of my questions made it into the game. It was so much fun coming up with questions for my favorite trivia game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't finalized any of the questions yet, so I can's say for certain which questions will make it into the game. But we've changed the goal from geek-centric questions to normal Wits & Wagers type questions. Unfortunately that means fewer of the geek-centric questions will make it into the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.