7 Posts

Onirim» Forums » Rules

Subject: Door/Shuffling Question (Base Game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Collins
msg tools
Hi guys, Question:

Say I have already obtained two doors for a color (will just say 2 red doors) and on a following turn I have played 3 more red (location) cards in a row. Even though I already have 2 red doors, am I allowed to search the deck again just to shuffle? Or since I already have the 2 doors, the 3 red cards do nothing?

Another question based on the above, say after the turn I played the 3rd red card and didn't get another door, I drew a nightmare, discarded a red door I have to limbo and shuffled it. On the following turn then, would playing a 4th red card now be considered a 3rd red card to search for a door, or is 3 a set and regardless it starts over at 1 red card.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Berger
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good question!

I would say no to shuffling the deck because you shuffle the deck once you've removed a door card. If there are no door cards left to take, there's no reason to reshuffle.

Not sure I understand the second question.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Collins
msg tools
Thanks, yea the second question is a little odd to explain, I mean it as Iv played 3 red locations, but not drawn a new door since I have 2, and on my my draw, I have drawn a nightmare and chosen to discard a door, so on the following turn I would play a 4th red location card, would that be considered 3 in a row since the previous 3 didn't activate. Hope that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
Spain
flag msg tools
It is my understanding that you can in fact search for a door even though you know it not to be there. You would "search," and upon not finding a door, you would just simply reshuffle afterwards. The author addressed a similar situation with the Dreamcatchers expansion so I assume this applies to the base game as well.

As for your second question, the answer is no. The 4th red card you played would start a new set of red locations even if you did not obtain a door through the set of the previous 3 red locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Collins
msg tools
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daleman45 wrote:
Hi guys, Question:

Say I have already obtained two doors for a color (will just say 2 red doors) and on a following turn I have played 3 more red (location) cards in a row. Even though I already have 2 red doors, am I allowed to search the deck again just to shuffle? Or since I already have the 2 doors, the 3 red cards do nothing?

Another question based on the above, say after the turn I played the 3rd red card and didn't get another door, I drew a nightmare, discarded a red door I have to limbo and shuffled it. On the following turn then, would playing a 4th red card now be considered a 3rd red card to search for a door, or is 3 a set and regardless it starts over at 1 red card.

Thanks.

The act of "searching" for a card, even if it doesn't yield a door you know isn't there, requires a reshuffle. I don't think this has ever been asked before though, since spending effort to align three reds again without *needing* a door you know is not present seems like a bit of a waste. Discards fuel spells once you add in the Book of Spells, so once you get past just the base game, this option seems much less useful.

If you rule for yourself that a 3rd red card when you have 2 red doors allows a search/shuffle of the deck, then that set is complete, so the 4th red card would start a new red set.

If you rule for yourself that a 3rd red card when you have 2 red doors already does nothing special, then I'd think you'd also allow yourself a 4th card on that 'series' to clount as 'finding the door'.

Are these questions 'what if' questions, or have they come up in actual play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Collins
msg tools
Came about while I was playing the game yesterday, It was only my 3rd or 4th game. I had just played 3 red cards down instead of discarding them even though I already had 2 doors, and on the following turn was a dream card. Just questions that came about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.