$20.00
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

I signed up to BGG after years of browsing solely to ask about decent communities that are fairly close to the CBD and public transport. I moved to Brisbane from the UK and have struggled to find people into board games/playing music so felt like this'd be the best place to ask about the former!

I've heard really good things about Critical Mass at Indooroopilly, and I'm aware Presents of Mind in Paddington (used to?) run games in the evening at a bar across the road from the store.

I would love to find groups that are cool with tolerating beginners who're still learning rules, tolerate some form of love for Eldritch Horror/Elder Sign/Mysterium, are open to mid-20s folk, and aren't too hard on someone with anxiety.

Thanks for any replies ahead of time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. You'll find that games groups are always newbie friendly as people play a huge variety of games and rules explanations are almost always needed.

Critical Mass is awesome! If you can get out to Chermside (yes you can, there's a bus, you just need to go home by about 11) you can even play with some other people with anxiety. You'd fit in just fine. They meet EVERY Friday. I'll let someone more knowledgeable talk about CM at Indrops (CM meets in two places).

My son is 20 and goes to the Presents of Mind games, it's not just for old folks.

I believe Mysterium has been popular at Chermside in the past. The only games that don't get much play are very long ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As John says, Chermside Critical Mass is great.

Closer to the CBD, there is the Go Lounge, a very friendly place to game, with an amazing selection . They do a meet up every Thursday night - I think its $6 (or about that, from memory).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to go to Critical Mass Indooroopilly, sadly I no longer live in Brisbane. But they're a great group of guys (and girls) there and very friendly. I think they still meet on the first and third Fridays of every month. It's easy to get there and back via public transport (buses or trains).

You'll be welcome there as a mid-20s folk who isn't into too complicated games. I've seen some people play the Cthulhu-type games there as well (although I don't go for those myself). When I was there we played a lot of Resistance Avalon, but I don't know if that's still going.

The only thing that you might have trouble with is finding the entrance on the first visit; you have to get out of the shopping centre and into the level 4 carpark (exit next the cinema). Then wrap around to your left and you should see the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LXG at the Gabba run every month, good group, lots of games to try. Also Vault Games run most Thursday nights at Grilld' in the Valley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, it's really appreciated.

Will definitely be getting in contact with both Critical Mass groups when I have know I'll have a free/not-utterly-exhausted Friday evening. I'll also have to try out Vault Games as I have heard about their Grill'd set-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel W
Australia
flag msg tools
It's a Trap!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Osiris,

The awesome thing about Brisbane is that there are some terrific communities. LXG and Critical Mass are both excellent places to go. As weeknights generally do not suit me, Brisbane Geek Social Club runs every Saturday, generally at Good Games Spring Hill from 10-7, otherwise once in a blue moon at Mt Gravatt (south side). Normally averages anywhere from 10-20 people typically, and all sorts of games are played, from your simple party games to crazy epic war games. Meetup.com is probably the easiest way to see our scheduled events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Couzens
Australia
East Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I'll just echo Joel and suggest the Brisbane Geek Social Club weekly board games on Saturdays, which are usually held at Good Games in Spring Hill, which is right in the CBD. We are a very diverse and welcoming bunch, and some of us are very good at teaching rules.

You can find the details on the meetup page here: http://www.meetup.com/Brisbane-Geek-Social-Club/

If you decide to come along, feel free to ask for Vlad, Tyson or Andrew (that's me), as we're the club's leadership team and are eager to make sure everyone settles in well and has fun.

I used to go to Critical Mass as well, but Chermside and Indooroopilly are a little less convenient for me unfortunately. However, they are also a consistently great bunch of people who reflect a broad range of tastes. Critical Mass is likely to have a larger range of board games available on any particular week, as some of the attendees have very impressive collections.

In fact, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the groups in Brisbane that people have mentioned so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Andrew

A daytime/weekend group sounds really welcoming. As soon as I'm settled in to Brisbane/have work hours & life settled BGSC @ Good Games sounds like the best option for me, with Critical Mass Indooroopilly a close second.

Really glad to see so many people mentioning a variety of groups, it was a surprising struggle to get word-of-mouth out of any acquaintances I know (curses of being new to a place I guess). Thanks once again, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cant go too far wrong really - all the groups are pretty friendly and its all about just getting together and playing some games, and having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo God
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to pipe up and mention Oz Comic Con is on at the convention centre on the 17-18 of September (NEXT WEEKEND!!). There is a decent size playing area and large library with demos running all day every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apollo1111 wrote:
I just want to pipe up and mention Oz Comic Con is on at the convention centre on the 17-18 of September (NEXT WEEKEND!!). There is a decent size playing area and large library with demos running all day every day.

Thanks for the heads up, but due to anxiety and the sheer amount of people who attend I tend to avoid cons nowadays due to the stress they pile on unless I volunteer/am getting paid to work 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suffer UM
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Presents of Mind still run their games nights on Monday evening at the Kookaburra Cafe in Paddington. Starts at 6:30, and runs until close. Good bunch of people, no issues with beginners, plenty of mid-20's people (probably the majority are).

See you there at some point maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith done
Australia
brisbane
queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LXG, Brisbane's largest tabletop games club is on tomorrow 9am - 5pm at the Queensland Contract Bridge Club, 67 Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba Qld 4102.

Everyone is always welcome and the atmosphere is very friendly!

Regards,

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Loot Room Au
Australia
Beenleigh
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Loot Room runs a Friday night meetup at the Beenleigh Neighbourhood Centre. Check the events on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/thelootroomau/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.