Subject: "take that" draft variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight we tried a new twist on drafting.

We put all the characters face up on the board. Then

Shadow choose a Shadow character (side chosen is hidden)
Fellowship chooses a Fellowship character (side chosen is hiddne)
Fellowship chooses a Shadow character (side chosen by Fellowship)
Shadow choose a Fellowship character (side chosen by Shadow)

doing that sequence four times, and then finally Shadow and then Fellowship each (secretly) choose the side to use for the remaining character.

Though I haven't tried a pure "hate draft" (each side selecting the entirety of the opposition), I might do it once for kicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, how did it go? How was the gameplay affected?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
As an example of what happened, my opponent (Shadow) drew Orcs first, to which I felt I needed to respond to with Gimli. I remember forcing Wormtongue and the Uruk-hai on him and the variant Saruman; I was "gifted" variant Gandalf and Faramir.

Things took slightly longer, to draft and then set up our pieces, as we both had very unfamiliar combinations. Gimli ended up out of position, but I did manage to have Frodo avoid the Orcs.

It was very refreshing to play with these non-random but unexpected combinations. We did not play with the "special power" cards. However it went well enough that our next game will be the same kind of draft and we will include the cards.

I feel like it breathed a bit of life back into the game, as when drafting we both have preferred orders of battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, playing that variant definitely will raise your skill level. I will keep your variant in mind as I get more experienced, so far I'm only playing the base game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.