Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for a heavy co-operative game for 4-5 (4 is ok). Everyone in my group is extremely competitive and gameplay can be pretty intense which is great, but I thought it might be interesting to switch things up and try a cooperative.

I've played Pandemic and it would be too light for my group. I also own Mage Knight and Assault on Doomrock. Mage Knight is perfect for me at 2 (so I'd rather not play as 4...). Assault on Doomrock might be an option, though my main group tends to shy away from fantasy so I'm not sure how successful it would be. They did not really enjoy Battlestar Galactica. I also have XCom but wasn't thrilled by my first play...

What other options are available (ideally something heavy)? What do people like and why?

Thanks in advance,

AJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orléans: Invasion comes to
mind. You would also need a copy of Orléans to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a great game with some weight, though no where near Mage Knight Board Game level. Great, challenging game though. Plays up to 4.

Not my style of game, but Arkham Horror and Kingdom Death: Monster seem fairly heavy.

Heavy cooperatives always seem like an overlooked category to me. I'd be curious to hear other options as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Murphy
United States
Gold Hill
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I have not had the pleasure of playing it myself, I've heard some excellent things about Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. Definitely heavier than Pandemic and a great theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Galaxy Defenders could fit that bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse and Aeon's End could interest you.

If you like tracking health points and effects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
I think Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a great game with some weight, though no where near Mage Knight Board Game level. Great, challenging game though. Plays up to 4.

Not my style of game, but Arkham Horror and Kingdom Death: Monster seem fairly heavy.

Heavy cooperatives always seem like an overlooked category to me. I'd be curious to hear other options as well.

I think it is more nature of the beast. Coops tend to emphasize the social aspect of gaming over brain-burning and also tend to go for higher player counts. When you add weight it starts reducing the number of people one is willing to play with. Mage Knight is a good example of a weighty co-op and as such even though it plays up to four, in my opinion even 3 is pushing it.

Arkham Horror I wonder if is really heavy or merely just big and fiddly. And again the player count strains tolerance quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is superb! It is fantasy, though, obviously.

+1 Galaxy Defenders. Great game!
+1 Robinson Crusoe. Another great game!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've actually kickstarted Aeon's End for my husband and I. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will work with my group due to the cards and fantasy aspects (That said I will certainly be trying it with them anyways when it arrives).

Orléans: Invasion could actually work very well (and hadn't been on my radar at all) - I need to do some more research and see. How did you find it played?

I'm also very interested in Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island as well.

Which of these games would work best with multiple alpha personalities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is my fave co-op game. I wouldn't really call it heavy (but many people on bgg seem to have trouble with the rules) but it does have a lot going on. I've never played with more than 4 people but it can accommodate more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Galaxy Defenders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Secrets of the Lost Tomb ,might do it for you, but get the revised rules, as the original rules are rough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CO₂ and Chaos in the Old World have a neat way of keeping competitive players going while still playing the main cooperative function in the game.

A game that will test your collective brains is probably Ghost Stories.
A big chunk of the best games for 4+ co-op are fantasy themed and it is a shame your group seems to shy away from them.

EDIT would Flash Point: Fire Rescue or Police Precinct they may appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
CO₂ and Chaos in the Old World have a neat way of keeping competitive players going while still playing the main cooperative function in the game.

A big chunk of the best games for 4+ co-op are fantasy themed and it is a shame your group seems to shy away from them.

CO₂ looks awesome (and would definitely appeal to my group), but is it actually cooperative? I own and enjoy Chaos in the Old World, but I a) don't find it cooperative at all and b) haven't been able to get this particular group to play (despite many attempts).

Will check out Flash Point and Police Precinct - I've never played either, but I'd heard that they were pretty easy to beat (which had ruled them out for me). I want something we will struggle to win at Don't know much about Ghost Stories - will check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Robinson Crusoe
(Heavy might be slightly overselling its weight)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror (not exactly heavy, but I wouldn't call it light).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic can be made much more difficult if you throw in a bunch of expansion.

Ghost Stories has it's fair share of AP inducing moments.

Assault on Doomrock in my opinion is best at higher character counts. I personally think the game wasn't refined enough and needs more work here and there, but it is a game I like quite a bit, especially if you are okay with playing with some variants rules; otherwise, I believe the success rate will be in the single digits as you pretty much will need the universe to line up just right.

Shadowrun: Crossfire seems like it was intended for 4 characters and can be quite challenging.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game a great thematic deck builder for 4, although it is probably best with 3. If your crew understands the doom associated with face-huggers, then the experience should be a blast. If unfamiliar with face-huggers and not a fan of the movies, then they probably won't enjoy as much.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is an awesome co-op game, especially if you can get immersed into the theme.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is a co-op that shines with more players as you have more eyes to keep track of all the different variables that change throughout the game.

I'm not quite sure how heavy any of these games are though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think that Kingdom Death: Monster is probably the perfect fit for your requests, but there's also the question of if you can afford it...

I don't know exactly what meets your definition of heavy, but for some fun and challenging games that are more of an experience, what about the following? You didn't mention anything about replayability, but assuming you're playing with the same group, I bet these would work well.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
T.I.M.E Stories
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1

Also, +1 to Ghost Stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+ 1 Robinson... of course.

Maybe have a look at the "Pathfinder Adventure Card Games"... We found the first pretty cool in my coop setting (we are currently beating our way through the Robinson campaigns ). They can get very thinky and puzzly and require to sometimes plan ahead.

But if you don´t have robinson... get robinson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajsoares wrote:
GitFeatures wrote:

CO₂ looks awesome (and would definitely appeal to my group), but is it actually cooperative? I own and enjoy Chaos in the Old World, but I a) don't find it cooperative at all and b) haven't been able to get this particular group to play (despite many attempts).

Will check out Flash Point and Police Precinct - I've never played either, but I'd heard that they were pretty easy to beat (which had ruled them out for me). I want something we will struggle to win at Don't know much about Ghost Stories - will check it out!

Co2 is not at al co-op, its semi co-op. One player wins, or everyone loses. It is a great game however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dead Men Tell No Tales
Heavy by my groups standards. think it goes up to 5 people. most I played was 4 and we had a blast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the old world is not a co-op

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My group has been playing a lot of Mansions of Madness: Second Edition and Mysterium. Both are cooperative, and Mansions is probably the heavier of the two.. We enjoy both of them..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So many great suggestions here. I now really, really want CO2... but it looks like it is out of print

I think it would really appeal to my group. Is there anything similar that is still in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played Robison Crusoe. The odds of success are very low, but it's not really a heavy game. Fiddly maybe, but not heavy. And failure and success has more to do with whether you happen to get lucky or not than whether you made reasonable decisions.

Flash Point and Police Precinct are both loved by Tom Vasel and, I'm pretty sure, he has talked about playing them with his family. I haven't personally played them, but I suspect that they're pretty light.

Really, the only coop game that I've seen yet which involves much more than moving people around a map and chucking dice is Apocalypse Chaos, and that's really only a 2-player game (despite what it says on the box). ETA: Which is also a move people around a map and chuck dice game...but not in the same way.

I don't know anything about the Orleans game, so maybe that one is good. Otherwise, I haven't heard of or seen anything which sounds like a "heavy" game, except Spirit Island, which hasn't come out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.