GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,623 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you have music playing in the background during your boardgame sessions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
what type of music would you play and which genre would match well with the game your playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
devildevilMETAL!!!!devildevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmb
Only the spooky soundtrack for Mysterium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess what's playing at my place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never use music while gaming. Although I'm a great music lover and listen to many different genres, music & gaming are two different hobbies that I do not mingle. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Music at the gaming table is distraction. And there are enough of those already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often Ambient:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Eno
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_of_the_Lid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hecker

Sometimes Jazz, or simply silence.

Nothing with vocals, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
The only time I have to have music playing is when I play War of the Ring. I've also enjoyed ambient winter/zombie noises for Dead of Winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to, but currently I don't, as most of my gaming sessions are at a friend's place, and I leave that up to him, but I miss it terribly.
I'm moving in a couple of months, and from that point on most of my gaming will take place at my own apartment, where there'll definitely be music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't when I put mine and people say "I want to play some of my music". Now it's silence, because 2ks pop music sucks and autotune is not welcome devil

Otherwise it's pretty much anything from OST to Jazz to Metal.

Last time I went with Bloodbourne and Demons/Dark Souls remixes to Cal Tjader in the same session. Wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, I'll have something going on softly in the back ground.

Don't find it to be a distraction and is generally well accepted at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
I always create Playlists for games. I don't use anything with vocals though it's not necessarily ambient music that I'm going for. Just stuff that doesn't distract but creates a fitting athmosphere.

I even edited the Space Alert Soundtrack and added different music to every track. It's sooooo much better and each mission has it's own vibe that way.

But for most games there are great playlists on youtube anyway.

And the best thing ever is Tabletop Audio! Just play the historical Victorian London track and mix it with the Sherlock Holmes - Consulting Detective Backgroundmusic-Playlist found on youtube and you're having a good time solving mysteries

Just don't overdo it - if it's a distraction you're playing the wrong stuff too loud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a Spotify sub for listening to music at work, when I'm doing software testing or documentation I like to have some sort of chill or atmospheric music on my headphones to drown out the noise of the office.

Previously at game days I've not really bothered with background music, but last month when I had some friends round for my birthday we played Quantum. There's a "Space Music" playlist on Spotify and actually I think it really added to the game, We played Viticulture Essential Edition later on and on my friend's suggestion I put on the Godfather Trilogy soundtrack!

definitely something I want to do again for next time, after I've had a browse on Spotify and bookmarked a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always BABYMETAL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally have instrumental Celtic music mixed with piano arrangements playing in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Drews
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try the excellent soundgenerator site
mynoise.net for some cool RPG Soundscapes...

for example this here:

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/enchantedForestSoundscapeG...

Its great for a moody or spooky ambient!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, but usually because I was listening to music before starting to play games and leave it playing rather than because I put music on to listen to whilst playing. I don't usually find music distracting (well assuming I've chosen it) but I if I'm concentrating on something I'll often totally ignore the music which seems a waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I find it distracting and i also dont want to force my musical tastes upon others. I appreciate the same treatment back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not by choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not good if any of your gaming buddies has hearing problems.

Also it would have to be quite loud to be heard at club nights as background chatter from the other table can sometimes make it difficult to hear rules explanations.

Personally I would probably only notice it if it was annoying me otherwise I would be concentrating on the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Merzbow, hard out, all the time. But I'll change it if people want me to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to find an appropriate soundtrack for most of the games I play, particularly the multi-hour, heavier games. The music MUST be appropriate for the setting and enhance, not detract, from the gaming experience. I think the added atmosphere makes the sessions that much more exciting.

Unlike the guy who played ridiculous anime theme songs during our Pandemic Legacy sessions... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because most of the people I play with find it distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mandeville
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never, ever. It's a distraction and I would expect people to dislike my choice of music as much as I would probably dislike theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None. If I want to listen to music, I listen to it. I am not a fan of "music as background".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.