GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

None But Heroes» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Bednarek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Is solitaire play possible in NbH? Sharpsburg is my favorite battle of the war, so NbH would be a must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

As you may already know, the game has a written orders system, but it is not a hex-by-hex plotting sort of thing at all.

The main point of the orders is to subject your intentions as the army commander to delay, foot-dragging and outright inaction by the Corps and Divisions to whom you are giving orders.

That makes it work well solitaire, because even though you know what you are trying to do as each side, you won't know (as either side) when your own orders will take effect to allow the troops to get moving.

Download v2.0 of the series rules from here (NBH came with v1.0):

http://www.gamersarchive.net/thegamers/archive/rss.htm

And the None But Heroes updates etc are here:

http://www.gamersarchive.net/thegamers/archive/nbh.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
The system is really great for solitaire. Even for the smaller scenarios, in which the orders system might not come into play, the system lends itself well to solo-play. Especially in this battle, typically only one side (the Union) is on the attack, while the Confederates are mostly concerned with shuffling around their manpower to meet the threat. Thus, even without the orders, both sides require different mindsets and it's thus easier (for me at least) to keep the two conflicting strategies separate in my mind.

Lastly, I personally prefer playing the physical game but if you don't mind PBEM via VASSAL, the VASSAL module is quite nice for the LoB games.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bednarek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks Malcolm and Brandon for your replies, Looks like I'll be placing an order.
Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.