$5.00
$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Forged in Steel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two Qs: Headline affecting own event? How often do roles change? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all - playing a 4p solo run through. In the first era I have two questions:

1. Does a headline affect the event on the same card. For example, Motherlode: I place two mines, which I assume means I roll + add unrest if necessary. But if the headline is already in effect, that wouldn't be the case. The rules say the headline card is placed after carrying out the event, which makes me think the headline *won't* affect the event that was played with the headline.

2. Is it the case that there will only be 3 mayors the whole game? Only 3 immigrant phases? I guess I'm wondering if in your hand of 5 cards at the beginning of the game - do all five of those get played before any immigrants are placed or votes are calculated or roles are exchanged?
Edit to add: The text on p. 6 confuses things for me: "Repeat this process until all have resolved their cards, thus ending the Era" But this process is referring to determine which player has lowest MM and then resolving that card, which makes me think an Era is a round of each player playing 1 card. But then... That would mean the game is only 3 cards played per player which is definitely not right...right?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:

1. Does a headline affect the event on the same card. For example, Motherlode: I place two mines, which I assume means I roll + add unrest if necessary. But if the headline is already in effect, that wouldn't be the case. The rules say the headline card is placed after carrying out the event, which makes me think the headline *won't* affect the event that was played with the headline.


The rules specifically state that the headline does not effect the event on the same card.

whattheproblemis wrote:

2. Is it the case that there will only be 3 mayors the whole game? Only 3 immigrant phases?


Yes

whattheproblemis wrote:

I guess I'm wondering if in your hand of 5 cards at the beginning of the game - do all five of those get played before any immigrants are placed or votes are calculated or roles are exchanged?
Edit to add: The text on p. 6 confuses things for me: "Repeat this process until all have resolved their cards, thus ending the Era" But this process is referring to determine which player has lowest MM and then resolving that card, which makes me think an Era is a round of each player playing 1 card. But then... That would mean the game is only 3 cards played per player which is definitely not right...right?


You play all 5 cards in each era.
4 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

RE: Headlines. When I read your response I was like "It certainly does not explicitly say that. Let me see those rules."

And then there, in italics, it explicitly says exactly as you say it does.

I read that section so many times, and each time completely missed it.

Thanks for your help!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miranda Folland
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
2. Is it the case that there will only be 3 mayors the whole game? Only 3 immigrant phases? I guess I'm wondering if in your hand of 5 cards at the beginning of the game - do all five of those get played before any immigrants are placed or votes are calculated or roles are exchanged?
Edit to add: The text on p. 6 confuses things for me: "Repeat this process until all have resolved their cards, thus ending the Era" But this process is referring to determine which player has lowest MM and then resolving that card, which makes me think an Era is a round of each player playing 1 card. But then... That would mean the game is only 3 cards played per player which is definitely not right...right?


You're not the only one who interpreted that to mean that each player only plays 1 card per era and I also thought "That can't be right!" I'm glad you asked.

Going to try my first 3 player game tonight... Excited.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.