United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

The event allows the WA to reroll all the defensive dice once, and the rules say the marker must be used.

How is this a benefit as you may roll lower ?
Can you choose which result to keep ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose to. Eg the Germans roll 4, u roll 5, u don't reroll. U roll 2 the Germans 3 u reroll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

That's what I hoped, yet the card doesn't say that.

The rules say to use it the first chance and then it's removed.

Better wording would be "the first time the BEF defends, all the defensive dice may be rolled; Remove the marker regardless wether the reroll is used"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Spurny
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That's not how it works. It triggers the first time the BEF would lose a combat - roll one die, if you don't win the effect triggers and you get a re-roll and remove the counter at that point. If you don't lose on that first roll, you don't use up the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rannous wrote:
That's not how it works. It triggers the first time the BEF would lose a combat - roll one die, if you don't win the effect triggers and you get a re-roll and remove the counter at that point. If you don't lose on that first roll, you don't use up the effect.

Well, unless I'm misreading the above excerpt or misinterpreting the below reference, this isn't correct either.

The 'Old Contemptibles' effect is "used" the first time that the BEF defends - regardless of winning or losing, or of any dice results. This is opposed to saying that it's used [only] the first time that they would lose as defenders. An important distinction.

IOW, the 'Old Contemptibles' marker is removed from the game after the first (i.e., next) time that the BEF defends. It doesn't matter whether or not the BEF lost or won their initial defense roll. And it doesn't matter if a reroll was even needed (i.e., the attacker rolls a "6")

The above is my interpretation of this reference, from the official Event card clarification document: Lamps Event Card List and Clarifications
"Place on the British 1st/BEF army. The first time the British 1st/BEF is designated as the defending unit in a combat and has the Old Contemptibles marker, all defensive dice must be rerolled if the British 1st did not win the initial combat roll. The Old Contemptibles marker is removed regardless of the result or whether the reroll was needed. So the first time the BEF is defending and has the Old Contemptibles marker, the marker will always be removed after that combat is resolved."
(bolding is mine for emphasis)

So to answer the OP's question, it's only a benefit if it works out for you! You're correct that the marker is used the next time the BEF defends. Period. But it only offers a possible advantage to the BEF if they should lose the first combat roll. Then in that case, the BEF gets a re-roll. But if they win the combat as defenders, or if the re-roll isn't needed, the marker is still used up!

That's how I interpret the above reference, anyway.

And oh, about choosing which result to keep... if the BEF does re-roll, there is no choice. A re-roll always replaces the initial roll. That's the case for all re-rolls in the game. It's a re-roll, not an additional roll. And despite this being a common rule of thumb for all games, I believe I actually saw this written (or such) in the rulebook. When I get to my copy I can find the reference for you if you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.