Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Peasant faction allies lets you start construction on a building "without restrictions". Does this mean it auto-triggers? What other restrictions are there? The rules don't use the word "restrictions" at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no other restrictions. Jay might have to chime in here but that may be a legacy from earlier versions of the game. The building does auto-trigger when you play that peasant card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After thinking a little more. You are restricted to playing one card on your turn. This card sort of breaks that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you perform the dice effect of the 2nd (building) card? Sorry, I left my copy at my friend's house so I don't have the cards in front of me ATM. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you don't. I think the card says that but I don't recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Meyer

Minnesota
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The card I think you are referencing is the Peasant card "Artisans". You must have at least 3 influence points with the Legion faction to trigger the card effect i.e. execute the text.

The text reads: "Play a Building card (place in-play under construction). Ignore all restrictions. Do not gain any faction level for the played Building card."

Basically, it allows you to place a Building from your hand under construction "no matter what". "Ignore all restrictions" covers 2 scenarios:

1. You can place the Building under construction even if it's matching colored die is a 3. Example: You play Artisans and have at least 3 influence with the legions. Artisans allows you to place Castle (A Noble Building) in-play under construction even if the Noble die is a 3. Under normal circumstances, if you played a Noble building when the Noble die was a 3, you would gain 3 levels of influence and then the text effect would be ignored because a 3 results in auto fail of the text and the building would be discarded instead of being placed under construction.

2. You are able to place the Building in-play under construction even if you do not have enough influence to trigger the building.

These are the "restrictions" that Artisans is referencing.

To the second question, you do not execute the dice effect of the building card i.e. ignore the matching colored die of the building card. Do not gain levels, do not perform any of the special dice rules of the building card.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Thanks,
Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray, Thanks Jay for making it crystal clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I want to hop on this thread to mention that if there is ever a second edition of the rulebook please make these restrictions a lot more clear. The two paragraphs on playing a card from your hand and whether or not the "text activates" are the most confusing part of the rules and I only realized the correct interpretation once I saw how much buildings are worth in points. In particular, the way it states that building text does not activate when you play it can make it seem like you don't need to be ABLE to activate it in order to play it, especially as this restriction is separated by the section on playing an ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy S.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
GreatNorthernGames wrote:

1. You can place the Building under construction even if it's matching colored die is a 3. Example: You play Artisans and have at least 3 influence with the legions. Artisans allows you to place Castle (A Noble Building) in-play under construction even if the Noble die is a 3. Under normal circumstances, if you played a Noble building when the Noble die was a 3, you would gain 3 levels of influence and then the text effect would be ignored because a 3 results in auto fail of the text and the building would be discarded instead of being placed under construction.

So since you're establishing that the word "Building" itself on the bottom of the card is part of the "text which does not resolve if you don't have influence in the trigger faction", requiring you to then discard the building instead of keeping it in play in your tableau -- then this means that you can ALWAYS keep buildings in play WHENEVER the dice-trigger faction die is zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.