Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Fontaine
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had my sights on Islebound or Above and Below.
Saw rahdo's run through on both and he seemed to like both.
Looking for a game that offers some good replayability, looks good on the table, and is not a solitaire game for each player. Anybody play either of these and have a suggestion? Or another suggestion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think Islebound is the game that offers more potential for conflict/interaction.
But personally I prefer the story book element of Above and Below - but there is less/ little player interaction.
Both games look so beautiful and are fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I picked up Above and Below over the weekend, and we loved our first playthrough! Replayability is great, since you don't use all the cards, and there are a ton of "exploring" stories. It is a gorgeous game, with amazing art. There isn't too much player interaction though, besides reading the "exploring" stories to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either, but I enjoy The Ancient World a lot. Interaction is indirect, mostly taking a card before an opponent or blocking an action space. Also, it's a bit flawed, with some action spaces being rarely used, but building your forces to kill titans is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Fontaine
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. Leaning toward Above and Below at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Note RE Rahdo: he's excited about nearly everything he plays, so that's not a very good basis for choosing a game.

I bought A&B, and then returned it for a refund unplayed, having subsequently read a number of reviews and forum comments indicating that it might have limited playability, especially the retail version, due to the limited selection of stories. OTOH I own Islebound, and really like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dr Strangegame74 wrote:
Had my sights on Islebound or Above and Below.
Saw rahdo's run through on both and he seemed to like both.
Looking for a game that offers some good replayability, looks good on the table, and is not a solitaire game for each player. Anybody play either of these and have a suggestion? Or another suggestion?

If you want a fairly light story based game mixed with euro mechanics, get Above and Below. If you want more of a pure euro game, play Islebound. They both do what they are trying to do well, so it's more a matter of taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.