Subject: First play of The Maiden in the Forest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for some small games to take with me on a trip next week and stumbled across The Maiden in the Forest after having played Mr Cabbagehead's Garden Game by the same designer.

While I'm not sure I played correctly (I had some issues reading the rules: combo of poor eyes and print and play on a home color LED printer, and some difficult to read fonts), I did enjoy the play.

Three of my first four turns, I drew the fire object card. The placement of the three fire cards was not bad, and so I was able to deal with the majority of the other trees. (The third draw was the feather.)

Finally - the comb object card was turned as a break from fire. That let me deal with the fire trees and things were looking good at midpoint. Two cards remained non-dormant - a red fire tree and a yellow comb tree.

Alas, the poor maiden was doomed to remain trapped, as while turn 7 turned up the bird object and I was able to rotate the two remaining trees, every turn after that alternated between the fire and comb being the forbidden object.

Game state after 2.5 turns. My desk is a bit narrow, I but I squeezed it on there anyway.

Very fun game and one I'm sure to play more. I did add a few vase gems as markers to my game to remind me not to touch the trees with the forbidden object. I had a scrap my first game after realizing that I messed that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually rereading this, I think the game was over the instant I was down to two wholly dissimilar trees. I don't suppose reviving dormant trees is a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
unfortunately no you can't revive a dormant tree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had my first play. Powered through nine trees very quickly, but I sloppily left three dissimilar cards, making it impossible to win. I think I made the mistake of immediately doubling up my nights and flipping what I'd just rotated (when the forbidden card let me) when I should have been using those rotated cards to help me make other combos. Lots to think about in this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.