Poll
Have you fought a Lion God?
Yes, and we beat him.
Yes, and he destroyed us.
No, never tried.
Oh, Hell NO! He scares me...
      73 answers
Poll created by IASeldon

I'm honestly curious, because this guy gets so little attention compared to other expansions.

For the record, my answer is #4. I refuse to face him until Lantern Festival drops.

For those who did answer as #1 or #2, how brutal was that fight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fought him at LY 14. We managed one wound before he killed all. I had a do-over and we didn't even manage a wound. So I houseruled that it was all a dream.

This guy has gotta be a Lantern Festival monster imho. He just puts out so much dmg and has a significant number of instant death mechanics too. Easily the hardest monster, with the other hard ones I can see how you win but with this one I can't even see the strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it a lot of times, I won against it two times: once misinterpreting an AI card in LY20+ (is LY23 the nemesis-free one there?), and another time legitimately in LY18 or 19 of a NG+ (clinging mists) campaign. Five or six times he destroyed us, though.

You need range (and if you get the wrong AI, it's detrimental. We also managed to win with fist and tooth, shields and sword mastery). We also used a lot monster control gear, and we were lucky with the pulsating lantern roll during a desperate monster flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, the guy was BRUTAL. I have a lot of respect for L3 DBK, but I am not sure they can be compared to give you an idea of the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Botts
msg tools
We beat 'em in our People of the Stars campaign. Lantern Year 19, level 1 Lion God, 1 death during the battle.

He is difficult but manageable at level 1, but I wouldn't go up against him as soon as he is available, you need more stuff unless you've been doing absurdly well. Just looking at the level 2 and 3 stuff I think we could have handled a Level 2 LG just before our dragon fight that campaign. Not sure we've ever been at a point in any campaign where we could handle a level 3, but after our Stars campaign ended we tried a Level 3 Gorm for fun and didn't have much of a problem, so maybe the LGlvl3 was possible.

He definitely seems like the toughest level 1 monster in the game, at the very least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fought him once- and I believe we died off, but it was close. We were using the People of the Sun campaign at the time.

He's really powerful- very brutal all together.

I believe that we could have done much better to use terrain to our advantage. With most boards being so sparse, we hadn't gotten used to using terrain to our advantage (most of it just gets in the way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
SlothropSlothrop wrote:
We beat 'em in our People of the Stars campaign. Lantern Year 19, level 1 Lion God, 1 death during the battle.

He is difficult but manageable at level 1, but I wouldn't go up against him as soon as he is available, you need more stuff unless you've been doing absurdly well. Just looking at the level 2 and 3 stuff I think we could have handled a Level 2 LG just before our dragon fight that campaign. Not sure we've ever been at a point in any campaign where we could handle a level 3, but after our Stars campaign ended we tried a Level 3 Gorm for fun and didn't have much of a problem, so maybe the LGlvl3 was possible.

He definitely seems like the toughest level 1 monster in the game, at the very least.

To be fair, though, People of the Stars has been described by a few as KD:M Dragonball Z. And while I have not yet gotten around to playing that expansion, a look at the events and abilities does make those survivors look a little more...survivable.

That said, I may now consider adding the Lion God into my first PotStars game just to have a look at the thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, I was of course comparing L1 lion god to L3 DBK. the difficulties can probably be compared, but the problem with lion God is that another entire deal of difficulty is given by the terrain, as well as you will probably want to endanger yourself voluntarily in the middle of the showdown (ie. Dive into a sinkhole). So, it's probably difficult to compare it to something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have never run away so I am not sure about the mechanics, but could you do some tomb raiding, then flee the showdown with acquired loot?

The way the difficulty of the LG is described makes me wonder if it is something to be endured, not defeated. It would be an interesting variation in gameplay, two survivors acting as distraction while two loot, then a hopeful escape. Do you keep harvested items/story items if you run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
wizard tower wrote:
I have never run away so I am not sure about the mechanics, but could you do some tomb raiding, then flee the showdown with acquired loot?

The way the difficulty of the LG is described makes me wonder if it is something to be endured, not defeated. It would be an interesting variation in gameplay, two survivors acting as distraction while two loot, then a hopeful escape. Do you keep harvested items/story items if you run?

Hun...that actually might be a valid tactic.

Still very dangerous, though. To get the full use out of the showdown event you'd need at least a Lvl 2 (iirc) amd you'd have to wait for the lion to actually create the terrain necessary to perform the event.

And then you'd have to weather a possible 1-7+ chain of attacks depending on the shuffle.

Might work with a touch of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Botts
msg tools
IASeldon wrote:
To be fair, though, People of the Stars has been described by a few as KD:M Dragonball Z. And while I have not yet gotten around to playing that expansion, a look at the events and abilities does make those survivors look a little more...survivable.

That said, I may now consider adding the Lion God into my first PotStars game just to have a look at the thing.

That's very true. It would be tougher in a vanilla campaign. I still think it's weatherable.

The key to beating the LG at all is definitely to use flows to dash behind terrain as often as possible, avoiding long chains of attacks. Those reading who haven't yet tried the LG: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FIGHT THE LG WITHOUT ALL FOUR SURVIVAL ACTIONS UNLOCKED. I suspect that would be literally impossible to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if going in, loot the necropolis and running away would work so well, mainly because:
1. You really want get that necromancer sfa (nuff said, to avoid spoilers)
2. You need that the survivors carrying the looted resources all manage to run away and survive to get your hands on it
3. Winning the showdown actually provided you a lot of useful stuff, especially iron. You don't want to waste a lantern year to just get a triptych and three guys dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
He seems pretty insane.
Am I the only one who sees a sort of ranking system to the monsters based on their names? The one without titles seem to be everywhere, but the Knights seem to be challenging, but beatable at any level with a properly prepared group. We only have one King so far, but the lvl 3 Dragon King seems to be about on par with an endgame boss fight. Are the gods supposed to be the uber-boss? I recall early on people asking if the Forge God would be a fightable monster in KD:M and Poots said if he were to be stated it would be impossible to kill him. I have to say that the stats on the lvl 3 Lion God seem pretty unkillable to me. Though I've heard the Lion God was supposed to be the Lion King (King of the Silver City), Poots didn't want to risk tangling with disney so he changed it.
I kind of like the idea of the Gods being nigh unkillable at max level. A sort of shoot for the stars idea. Even if you miss your death will be just as gruesome and horrible.
To go along with that I also wish the Lion God and the other Gods would come with "God Killer Campaigns". A campaign of highest difficulty. Lots of death, but some pretty sweet rewards. The kind that actually give the survivors a chance at killing a lvl 3 or custom lvl 3+ God boss encounter after the 25 years. Maybe instead of a campaign like we know it it would be formatted as a white speaker retelling the legend of the people who slew the Lion God to some young fresh settlement. More narrative, but not a historical blow by blow. Keep it mythological and fantastical. You'd probably start with an established settlement, but you'd play with whole new custom event table with less mundane events. Curses sent from the wrathful God. Oracles coming to foretell the future. Emissaries of other Great Entities bringing boon or bane to mess with you or whatever god you're fighting.
Why do I want to write this now? Slayers of the Silver God. Silver God Slayers. Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We fought a LvL1 Lion God as our first (and only) post Watcher fight in our recently finished campaign.

We got him within 2 wounds of death, but that was more about his behavior than any excellent play or super-luck on our part.

We went in with 4 relatively new survivors, as murder just kept coming back over and over to claim anyone with any kind of real Hunt XP.

I looked through his rewards and I'm not really sure there is anything that is worth the difficulty, although I suppose it could be a fun litmus test for your power level. I'm guessing he's there to prepare people for what to expect with the Lantern Festival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ambit
msg tools
My group did a lion god fight on year 19 for lack of anything else to do, and since we had it in the campaign and had never fought it. Anyway, guessing we'd lose we sent 4 scrubs to the fight. I believe we did some decent damage to him before getting an unlucky targeting on the 2 people who had no survival going into the fight (so no dash). Once he died, two guys went into the pit, looted something and Ran Away. I think with our A team we'd have beaten him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.