Subject: Renovate + MegaFactory interaction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I use the Renovate event (not on my MegaFacttory) and then use the MegaFactory power to build a bunch of upgrades on a closed ride, do I pay half price or full price for them?

The Renovate card says "Park Step" for its half-price stuff so rules-as-written it seems like it shouldn't work. Off the top of my head,I can't think of any ways other than the MegaFactory to actually pay for upgrades during the Event step so maybe it's just an oversight. I'm hoping they combo together because it's a really nice synergy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question! You're correct, as it's written, Renovation is Park step only.

There's one other Event currently that sees you pay to build during the Event step - Corporate Raiders.

One solution might be to move the MegaFactory ability to the Park step, though there are implications for that. The obvious change is to make Renovation last the whole round, but I need to consider those implications as well.

The combo is undeniably appealing - let me give that one some thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
Thanks for the question! You're correct, as it's written, Renovation is Park step only.

There's one other Event currently that sees you pay to build during the Event step - Corporate Raiders.

One solution might be to move the MegaFactory ability to the Park step, though there are implications for that. The obvious change is to make Renovation last the whole round, but I need to consider those implications as well.

The combo is undeniably appealing - let me give that one some thought!

seems like it would be a powerful combo. I dont have the cards in front of me - is there a way to close an attraction during the Park step in order to benefit from a renovation card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
I dont have the cards in front of me - is there a way to close an attraction during the Park step in order to benefit from a renovation card?

Nobody has really picked up on it yet, but it's actually a design rule that there's no negative effects during the Park step, to allow people to have a rest after the stress of the Events step

Renovation itself can close an attraction, and you can always give a local official a Giant Wad of Cash to close anything else you like, but both of those are Events step effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
I dont have the cards in front of me - is there a way to close an attraction during the Park step in order to benefit from a renovation card?

Nobody has really picked up on it yet, but it's actually a design rule that there's no negative effects during the Park step, to allow people to have a rest after the stress of the Events step

Renovation itself can close an attraction, and you can always give a local official a Giant Wad of Cash to close anything else you like, but both of those are Events step effects.

yeah, I noticed there was nothing bad during the park step, but because of Renovation (and perhaps others (in the future)) there may be occasions where you want to close your own attractions. You are allowed to demolish your own attractions as a park step. Presumably you would do this in order to make room for a better attraction in your hand. Would being allowed to close your own attraction in order to renovate (which would take a total of 2 actions) be so unbalancing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
yeah, I noticed there was nothing bad during the park step, but because of Renovation (and perhaps others (in the future)) there may be occasions where you want to close your own attractions. You are allowed to demolish your own attractions as a park step. Presumably you would do this in order to make room for a better attraction in your hand. Would being allowed to close your own attraction in order to renovate (which would take a total of 2 actions) be so unbalancing?

It's not unbalancing, it's more of a concern about the number of options vs how often they're useful.

Adding "Close" as an option in the Park step would add another item to the list of things that players need to remember they can do. I prefer when possible to have the card bring the power so that no effort of memory is needed.

Renovation includes the option to close an attraction - the simplest change to address this might be to alter that to allow more than one closure at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
Renovation includes the option to close an attraction - the simplest change to address this might be to alter that to allow more than one closure at the same time?

I like Renovation as its currently stated - it rewards clever gameplay like playing it after your rides have been closed by a competitor or City Event.

Of course, Renovation closing only one ride allows for an opponent to maliciously open that ride, which I have seen CERTAIN CHILDREN do to their siblings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:

*cough* *cough* Themeland shake

Yes, yes, its self inflicted... Yes, yes, you are the designer and can do what you like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.