Subject: Components Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just bought the game last night! Haven't got the chance to play it yet, but I unboxed it yesterday and noticed a couple of things:

1. The Ancient Ones sheets are, well, just sheets. I was expecting some kind of cardboard, not necessarily thick, but at least not a sheet of paper.

2. How on earth am I supposed to place the investigators on those standees? I've already damaged one of the investigators trying to fit it into the support. It doesn't even slide!

Edit: I have a 2015 edition, or at least the box came with the 2015 FFG Winter Collection inside..

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
1. Yes, same material and format as the investigator sheets. I use Swan Panaisia Arkham investigator sleeves to sleeve them (need to cut about 5 cm off with xacto knife before sleeving, but end result is very nice)

2. Yes, FFGs chew the token stands are a thing of terror and legend. >.< Manageable (if not entirely without damage) if you're careful, but probably best to switch to some other stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wondered why the game was relatively cheap considering the amount of contents in the box. They've went cheaper with some of the components. No big deal, but it could have been better!

The real problem are the stands. I don't think I could find other stands in my country (and I don't own another game that uses them) so I'll have to improvise or be very careful not to damage another poor ol' investigator. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use the stands at all - the investigator tokens work perfectly well without the plastic stands. You don't use stands for the monster tokens so why bother with the investigators - and if you really want to use standees why not copy them and print out another set that you don't mind getting a little damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
1. The Ancient Ones sheets are, well, just sheets. I was expecting some kind of cardboard, not necessarily thick, but at least not a sheet of paper.

Have we got the same game here? My investigator and AO sheets aren't paper, thin card yes but certainly not paper. There's also many bits and pieces you can buy for stands etc but can end up costing you quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
You don't use stands for the monster tokens so why bother with the investigators
Because most monsters are stationary, while most investigators move a lot. Hence the standing token - it's easier to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
The Wrong One wrote:
You don't use stands for the monster tokens so why bother with the investigators
Because most monsters are stationary, while most investigators move a lot. Hence the standing token - it's easier to pick it up.

Yes I understand that, my point was that you could choose not to use them and that it would not spoil your enjoyment of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
The Wrong One wrote:

Yes I understand that, my point was that you could choose not to use them and that it would not spoil your enjoyment of the game.
Well, it would certainly spoil mine. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
The stands do grip too much. I used a ladies nail board to lightly sand down the plastic protrusions in the gap. Just a couple of passes will do the job perfectly.

An mildly annoying thing to have to do but quick... and better than ripping the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit unfair to call the components cheap. The ancient one cards are the same high quality card stock used in their other games. I am unsure what led you to believe they should be or would be thick cardboard. The stands are not exactly cheap but poorly designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they are thinner than the cards...I'm not calling all components cheap, just the ancient ones and investigator sheets. Agree on the stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ancient ones are some variation on cardstock. Better than paper, but not full cardboard. Which is good, cardboard would be too thick to store easily. They hold up reasonably well, but there are card sleeves mentioned by someone else here if you want to go that route.

The investigator stands... I don't think anyone likes them. My solution was to buy these:

I found them slightly cheaper than this place provides ($5 for 50), but that was a few years ago and I can't remember where I got them any more. Other people have filed down the insides of FFG's stands and put some sort of padding inside; I have no clue how effective that is, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used these from boardgameextras with no damage to the monster tokens.

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=1196&name=+rect...

Using red ones for monsters with a Reckoning effect has helped to avoid missing any out during Mythos phase as well.

Also they sell these:

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=26978&name=Swan...

I've not used those myself but I believe they should be the right size for the EH investigators and ancient ones, descent and imperial assault character sheets, Talisman/Relic characters and endings.

Postage to Romania for 3 packs of sleeves and 30 stands looks like £4, less for just the stands. I've made several purchases from this place and all have been good.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Withywindle wrote:
The stands do grip too much. I used a ladies nail board to lightly sand down the plastic protrusions in the gap. Just a couple of passes will do the job perfectly.

An mildly annoying thing to have to do but quick... and better than ripping the tokens.

Or you could buy a set of Dave Nichol's fantastic resin stands. Mine turned up today and they are superb. Over in Eldritch Horror - General, just search for "sickdave". Serious bling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've managed to slide them in the original stands! I'm glad to report that there have been no other victims! But we're never going to take them out of there .

Otherwise, the game is great. I even enjoy the AO and Investigator sheets, they look very good on the table and on second thought they seem to be quite resistant.

I'm very pleased with this acquisition! I cannot wait to play it again. I've been thinking about strategies on how to beat those ugly A.O.s on my way to work and of course now I cannot focus on my tasks shake. Brilliant design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah my solution for the investigator stands is to never take them back off again, although to be fair I didn't really notice any damage putting them on the first time either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvir
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. I never take my stands off once I put them on; same with Arkham Horror and I never noticed any damage while putting them on. I wonder if some people are trying to slide in the character tokens from the side of the stand instead of going from the top. I did mine from the top gently and they were okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I've just bought the game last night! Haven't got the chance to play it yet, but I unboxed it yesterday and noticed a couple of things:

2. How on earth am I supposed to place the investigators on those standees? I've already damaged one of the investigators trying to fit it into the support. It doesn't even slide!

Edit: I have a 2015 edition, or at least the box came with the 2015 FFG Winter Collection inside..

Thanks

1. Yes, the big boss baddies are just sheets. But they are very very evil. Use your imagination based on the flavour text.

2. Pinch to flatten the end of the investigator token to flatten it a bit, it will leave a mark, one on the front and two on the back. If you are planning on pulling them in and out on every game, follow the groove mark. Mine is okay as long as you follow the marks those evil plastic stands left behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See 3 posts above yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yours? What of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already clarified my concerns and managed to solve the standees problem, as my previous post shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, okay. Sorry I didn't read it.

Well, maybe for alternative, just in case you wanna take it off again.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worry, sorry if I seemed rude!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
No worry, sorry if I seemed rude!

It's cool man. I didn't find you rude at all.

In fact I'm kind of a jackass for not reading the whole thread and didn't noticed that you've already decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.