Hide
5 Posts

Rattus» Forums » General

Subject: rattus or el grande big box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Popov Victor
msg tools
Hello! I have the option of buying a new big box el grande (which is very expansive) or a used rattus+2 expansions (much more cheaper). Could someone who has played both tell me if rattus gives them the same feeling as el grande? also, which of the two is better as a 2 player game?

i'm more inclined to get rattus because of the shorter play time and the lower price. is el grande that much better in order to justify the higher price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
Hello! I have the option of buying a new big box el grande (which is very expansive) or a used rattus+2 expansions (much more cheaper). Could someone who has played both tell me if rattus gives them the same feeling as el grande? also, which of the two is better as a 2 player game?

i'm more inclined to get rattus because of the shorter play time and the lower price. is el grande that much better in order to justify the higher price?

The two games have a very different feel.

Rattus is quick and chaotic, with lots of variety between games because of expansions. It is not very strategic, much more tactical and attacky. It's basically rather silly fun.

El Grande is a much more strategic game - it feels substantial and serious - but there is a lot of fun to be had with it. It is a classic Euro game and the archetype for other area control games to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
El Grande is a much more strategic game - it feels substantial and serious - but there is a lot of fun to be had with it. It is a classic Euro game and the archetype for other area control games to follow.

Just repeating what Adam said. El Grande is a classic, brilliant, elegant, deep game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Though El Grande is the better game, Rattus is probably better for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande is not very fun with just 2 players. I'd say Rattus would fit your needs better. Buy El Grande if you wanted to play with 4 or 5 players more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.