Subject: I am confused...What do I need next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Heyd
Germany
Leinfelden-Echterdingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if there is already a similar post.

I have the following old Mage Wars stuff:
-Mage Wars Core Game
-Spell Tome 1+2
-Old version of Druid vs. Necro and Forcemaster vs. Warlord
-Kumanjaro...
-Forged in Fire

From the new edition I own Battlegrounds Domination.
So my question is: What do I need to have all the cards which available now.
Do i need the new version of Druid vs. Necro, the new Arena and Academy set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carpenoctem82 wrote:
Do i need the new version of Druid vs. Necro, the new Arena and Academy set?
You don't need any of the new versions of old sets, they only contain (in some cases) more copies of cards you already have.

So, to have a complete collection, you'd just need to get the Academy sets (which have all-new cards) and Paladin vs. Siren. Later this year (or early next year), there'll also be a set containing a bunch of former promo cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the name change of Mage Wars to Mage Wars: Arena, there is no difference for you (the new editions have some minor change in card distribution but nothing warranting buying a new copy). If you already have Druid v. Necro, Mage wars core, etc you are good.

The name change was merely rebranding so they could come out with Mage Wars: Academy; an easier version of the game to entice new players.

Frankly I think it was a mistake to branch out the franchise like that due to the confusion it has/is causing but nobody is asking me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest printing of the core set (aka "Mage Wars Arena") also has alternate art on about half a dozen cards, mainly to indicate that those cards have had some changes to their wording. For instance, Malacoda now has Poison Immunity, Gate to Hell works a bit differently, Battle Fury isn't as strong, Temple of Light isn't as strong, Hand of Bim-Shalla is "unique," etc. Many of these cards were changed (but with the old art) in 2nd and/or 3rd printings (old box style and title), so you may already have most of those depending which printing you have.

The latest printing also has a new box size (closer to Ticket to Ride), a new board (folds differently; has completely different art, although it's functionally the same as the first printing), and a few new tokens (Wrath tokens, Rage tokens, a Gate to Hell open/closed token, damage and mana in denominations of 1/3/5 instead of 1/3/9, etc).

As for the "new" Forcemaster vs Warlord set, the only change I'm aware of is a slightly different card count to be more consistent with the current card distribution (e.g. 6 copies of level 1 cards, 4 copies of level 2+ cards, 2 or 3 copies of "Legendary", "Unique", "Epic", and mage-specific cards). There is no functional difference between it and the old Forcemaster vs Warlord. There might be new art on a couple cards, though (e.g. Force Push?).

Wario83 wrote:

Frankly I think it was a mistake to branch out the franchise like that due to the confusion it has/is causing but nobody is asking me.

Hey Wario83, what do you think of the Mage Wars rebranding? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heyd
Germany
Leinfelden-Echterdingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments.
So I think I'm going to buy Academy and I have to do some errata on the cards by myself. I didn't find a errata list till now (does anyone have one). Alternate art is not so important as it would justify a buy of the new core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
I'm also confused about all the seemingly random stuff out for this game.

jhaelen wrote:
So, to have a complete collection, you'd just need to get the Academy sets (which have all-new cards) and Paladin vs. Siren. Later this year (or early next year), there'll also be a set containing a bunch of former promo cards.

What about those "spell tome" things ... like Mage Wars: Forged in Fire – Spell Tome or these small box things like Mage Wars: Academy – Priestess Expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy and it's expansions are a separate product line so it is not required for a complete collection of the Arena product line. As noted above, the spells in Academy are compatible in Arena and eligible for official Arena tournaments so some players want both card sets from each product line to own a 'complete set.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
Academy and it's expansions are a separate product line so it is not required for a complete collection of the Arena product line. As noted above, the spells in Academy are compatible in Arena and eligible for official Arena tournaments so some players want both card sets from each product line to own a 'complete set.'

While Academy includes rules for its own game, I question this definition of "a complete collection." Academy is a standalone game, but it also serves as an expansion to Arena and many of the cards in Academy are very good in Arena to the point that most "competitive" Arena spell books include at least a few Academy cards. There are few (if any) Arena mages that aren't made better or more versatile using Academy cards - e.g. lots of new creatures for the Beastmaster, Wizard, Priestess and Warlock; new equipment for everybody in Leather Chausses and Wychwood Ironvine; new mage-specific equipment like Kajarh (for Kumanjaro Beastmaster), Packleader's Cowl, Sistarran Robes, Eye of Bael, Demonhide Mask, etc), Tangleroot for the Druid; Slumber and Redirect for the Forcemaster (and others), new cheaper attack spells including those that cause the new "Stagger" condition; new "staple" spells in Crumble, Disperse, Arcane Ward; many new spells that distinguish between Minor and Major creatures, generally making Minor (level 1-2) creatures more competitive and worth buffing...

In other words, even if you never play Academy as its own game (which uses exclusively cards from the Academy Core Set and each of the two small-box expansions for Academy Warlock and Academy Priestess), these are very worthwhile and welcome expansion packs for Mage Wars Arena players.

Of course, this assumes you get Mage Wars Arena to the table often. You can search these forums for recommended priority of expansions, and you'll tend to see something like:

- Druid vs Necro (awesome new mages not included in the core set)
- Conquest of Kumanjaro (lots of good spells for every mage in the core set)
- Forcemaster vs Warlord quickly followed by Forged in Fire (since the latter helps to balance/boost the competitiveness of the Warlord while simultaneously adding lots of cool options for the Warlock; Disclaimer: Forcemaster is probably my favourite mage, closely followed by Druid and Necromancer, then maybe Beastmaster, Warlock, Wizard, Warlord, and lastly the Priestess/Priest... although the Holy mages get a lot better and more interesting with Academy Priestess expansion)
- Battlegrounds Domination if and only if you want to play multiplayer; perhaps not necessary if you only play 1-on-1
- Paladin vs Siren (just released at Gen Con; should be in stores this month)
- Academy core set, Academy expansions, prioritized by which Arena mages are your favourites. I recommend 2 copies of each due to card distributions (e.g. only 3 copies of level 1, 2 copies of level 2+, 1 copy of Epic/Unique... which is half the normal distribution in Arena expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.