Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
I'd love to add just a little bit of simple player-interactivity to the game, how about this:

If you capture 2 red dinosaurs (carnivores) in one of your turns (without busting), then you can use these to eat 3 of one of your opponents dinosaurs/points.

If you capture 3 yellow dinosaurs (armoured) in one turn (without busting), your dinosaurs/points are protected by the armour and can fend off one attack from carnivores. You symbolise their armour by stacking the dice - once they have been attacked, you knock over the tower so they are defenceless again (unless they can capture 3 yellow dinosaurs again in the future).

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I;n not following you completely...

For the first part you would need to spend the two red dinosaurs immediately on scoring them, right? Since without a special scoring system you don't know what color dinosaurs you scored last turn. You would be trading two of your points for three of an opponent's points, so it's essentially always a good idea in a two player game. In a multiplayer game you're hurting yourself and the target, so the greatest benefit goes to the other players - this would only be a good idea if the target were close to winning.

By itself this change adds player interaction but not strategy, and makes the game a little longer. I'm not sure how often you capture two reds on one turn, though.

The second idea, which obviously enhances the first one, confuses me because the armor protects you attacks that happen on other people's turn, when you don't have the dice. If you hold on to those dice to show that you have defense then other people are going to be playing with seven dice instead of ten. That changes things a lot. Certainly it makes it more likely for them to capture two reds in one turn. Since this will reduce how much people can score in a turn it's also going to add to game length. Giving up three points for this protection seems like it wouldn't often be a good idea because it costs you three points to protect you from losing three points. Obviously I missed something.

Have you tried it? Did it add interest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
Aha, a little bit of confusion here alright! I meant to say that you never sacrifice dinosaur points for these abilities.

Ok, my idea was that if you could roll two red dinosaurs on the 'dinosaur' face in one turn, you get to remove 3 of an opponents' dinosaurs from their score total so far.

It's a fairly simple game so I don't think it's adding too much strategy to the mix but should give you another element to bear in mind whilst calculating risk: If you have already rolled a red dinosaur in a turn and had the other red dinosaur (there's only two in the game) hiding under a leaf - it usually would not be a good idea to roll any further as you are more likely to get squashed with a red. But if you are behind on points, you could take the chance to not only gain a few points but also remove 3 from an enemy. With a two player game this makes this quite a point-swing but it's supposed to be a special occasion when the two t-rexs appear anyway!

You are correct that I caused confusion with the yellow dinosaurs (I wasn't thinking and forgot that of course you must pass the dice to the next player at the end of your turn; my intention was never for you to hold them).

I liked the idea of the armoured dinosaurs protecting you somehow. When you capture 3 yellow ones in a single turn, here are two things you can do to protect yourself (not sure which one to use):

1. Become protected for one attack from the t-rexs. Obviously something other than stacking dice to represent this as you have to let go of them (sorry again!). We use a jar of plastic dinosaurs as scoring points so perhaps I form a wall of them in a defensive pattern? You could stack your chips or whatever scoring tokens you're using. If you're just writing it down, then just write it down! Once you are attacked, you are then vulnerable from then on.

2. Make 10 (or a larger/smaller number) of your already captured dinosaurs (points) permanently safe from being attacked in the future. If using toy dinosaurs like me, then move them into a 'safe' pen or area - in future attacks, they are safe from t-rex attacks. You can add more with 3 yellow dice captured again.

It would only add a little choice to the game but it would make it more enticing to roll red and yellow dice. Also, with more than two-players, you can negotiate who gets attacked so allows for a bit of banter.

I've only just ordered the game so should be here in a few days. We've been playing the app and using physical dinosaurs as scoring points - will let you know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think rolling 2 red dinosaurs happens less than once per game, so this variant isn't going to change the game much if at all.

Assuming you re-roll all leaves there's 1/4 dino and 3/4 stomp, so the chance of getting both reds onto dino is 1/16. Then you have to factor in drawing the two red dice in the first place and not busting out on the other dice (or choosing to bank). (All of which is beyond my probability maths ability but the final number is very very small )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.