Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been looking at a game on kickstarter called One Night, its part of a series. I like the concept of it and have never played any of them.

On doing a bit of research I found some others, such as Masquerade and The Resistance.

What would people recommend getting for this type of games. These are the only ones I have heard of. Are there others that are good? What would you suggest I buy for my first game of this type?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you're about to enter the exciting world of social deduction games. My personal favorites (which rate high at BGG as well) are The Resistance: Avalon and One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Basically, those games are about playing a secret role and trying to deduce the roles of the others based on what they do and say. I think they work best with people you've known for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Social deduction games? Probably One Night Ultimate Werewolf, very quick and easy to get on the table, and with a huge re-playability.

EDIT : Ninja-ed ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to One Night Ultimate Werewolf the others are:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak
One Night Ultimate Vampire
One Night Ultimate Alien (which I think is the one on KS)

I think these all integrate with each other (I've not played any).

There is also:

One Night Revolution

Which doesn't integrate with the others and started out as a mash up of The Resistance and the One Night series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance is the only one I have played and it's good. The Resistance: Avalon has more stuff in the base game box but The Resistance has more expansions available (which include all the stuff from Avalon but with the theme of The Resistance). I'd recommend The Resistance and it's expansions. Obviously I can't compare it to any others...

How many people will you be playing with? Having enough players is a key thing for these kind of games, and that might start limiting your choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Kickstarter copy of Secret Hitler showed up yesterday, and it looks an interesting variant on the theme. I assume it will be in the shops soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
My Kickstarter copy of Secret Hitler showed up yesterday, and it looks an interesting variant on the theme. I assume it will be in the shops soon enough.

I missed the kickstarter, but I need that game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

How many people will you be playing with? Having enough players is a key thing for these kind of games, and that might start limiting your choices.

I should be able to get about 6 - 8 for this type of game.

Seems to be that the resistance is getting the push so far. For those that have played One Night games, are they all the same but with a different theme. Do they differ enough to justify getting the collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:

Hopefully this means they will have some for sale soon. I am sad I missed out on this Kickstarter.

As for good social deduction games, my gaming group loves Mafia de Cuba. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is also a very good starting point for social deduction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kenzie316 wrote:
zabdiel wrote:

I should be able to get about 6 - 8 for this type of game.

Seems to be that the resistance is getting the push so far. For those that have played One Night games, are they all the same but with a different theme. Do they differ enough to justify getting the collection?

6-8 is perfect. Strongly recommend Avalon and One Night Ultimate Werewolf then - Avalon being more meaty and serious while ONUW being more silly and fun.

I've only played the base One Night Ultimate Werewolf and the first expansion - Daybreak. I'd recommend just starting out with the base game - it has loads of replay-value and then when you know you like it and you need some crazy spice to it, get daybreak for more flavor.

Decided to stay away from Vampire and what not for now. It seems unnecessary to me when I have so much variation and replay-value with Werewolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is the best social deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance is a very fun game with the right group. You only have a few turn to find the traitors if you're not one of them, so the tension gets high fast, and a good group will make this so amusing by accusing others, trying to mislead you into trusting them, or by vetoing a group so that the leader (which changes everytime a vote is cast) makes a choice that satisfies them better.

Plus there is no downtime and you don't need a game master. The theme doesn't really matter even though I'm not a big fan of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.