Ryan Palfreyman
Germany
Freising
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
veni, vidi, lusi, vici!
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in my understanding that dawn (daytime) combat can only be initiated by Dracula (since he has to move during the preceding Dracula phase), while dusk (night-time) combat can only be initiated by the hunters (since it is they that move during the preceding day)?

If so, that doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me...

...for thematic reasons on the one hand: The nocturnal Count initiates daytime fights, while the hunters (who cannot move during the night) are responsible for fights at night.

...but also for gameplay reasons: Dracula is considerably more powerful during nocturnal (dusk) combat, so it seems strange that the use of his special night-time powers is not under his own control. On the other hand, this puts the hunters in a position where they want to fight and defeat Dacula, but would really rather prefer him to make the first move, since he is less powerful if he does.

You see what I mean? I'm struggling to understand the reasoning behind this particular mechanism.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your understanding is correct. The debate about it goes back to some of the earliest threads on this edition.

A thematic rationale is that in order to force combat, the attacker has to engage on disadvantageous terms. When the hunter(s) arrive in a city, Dracula is not standing in the town square, with a "stake me" sign on his back. The hunter(s) have to expend time and effort to find his lair. By the time they do, it is dusk. (Or Dracula may elude them for a time, until it is night, and he then turns and fights.)

Similarly, when Dracula is initiating attack, the hunters have taken protective measures and warded their sleeping quarters for the night. He is only able to get to them when they head out of their safe house.

Each side does have an event to force combat during the most advantageous time for them: Long Night for the hunters, and Nocturnal Visit for Dracula. The hunters may also force combat on their terms by stationing themselves along the route Dracula must travel, trying to force him to come to them (or use Wolf Form to avoid it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a fantastic explanation!

If I remember correctly, you also explained the thematic reasoning behind wolf form while landing from the sea, which I almost had to do last game to avoid well-placed hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
perhaps this will answer all yer questions:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/9/the-dev...
particularly these words concerning gameplay mechanics from developer frank brooks:
Quote:
With Dracula only able to initiate day fights, and hunters only able to initiate night fights, the game played very differently. The defender had the advantage, the part of the game I liked the most—the deduction element—became more emphasized. Dracula rarely wanted to reveal himself because the hunters would get an advantage with the combat cards if he did, but additionally, the hunters could then respond to Dracula’s position before he could move again. They want to find Dracula, but must be careful not to place themselves alone in a weak position. The day/night system as it now stands rewards both well-organized hunters and a sneaky Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Palfreyman
Germany
Freising
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
veni, vidi, lusi, vici!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful! Thank you, both of you!

Particularly the quote from the developer notes is great for explaining the rationale behind that mechanism. It's good to know that people did actually put considerable thought into it and had a good reason for doing it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.