Subject: No love for Arboriculture & Formaggio? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuscany for me is the best expansion to a(ny) base game by far.

That said, I also really like the Arboriculture & Formaggio parts. Apart from the structures (and the 4 season board of course), they are my favorite ones - I would also love to play with both at the same time.

This was just one reason I was hoping to get a second copy ... but then ... its only about the "essential" now it seems :-(

So may I ask why these two get/got no love?

I thought they were nicely woven into the theme (getting points only when filling wine), give nice new options, and I particularly also liked the idea of the happiness of the workers (though I think it would be more interestning to lose a point each year if you dont care about this issue) ...

Sorry if this was already discussed somewhere else (please point me there then), I admit I had to share my sadness before searching ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a sense that they push the mechanics a little beyond where the game's sweet spot is. I haven't actually played with Aboriculture. I solo'd Fromaggio but my point total was crazy (50+, yes I checked the rules over repeatedly) so that didn't leave me eager to try it multi-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my SO and I really love the Formaggio expansion and play it every time we can. I have played the Arboriculture one time and I did not like how you lose moral just by using the Grande worker in any location even if it was used as a normal worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kassia Schodroski
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Formaggio!! The cows and the cheese just make it so much fun for me. I was not a super fan of Arboriculture. I didn't enjoy the stress of losing moral (I greatly appreciate that they put a cap on the loss of VP as long as you stay on the bottom of that chart) and thereby losing VP.

To answer your original question, in my opinion I think all of the original Tuscany Expansions were meant to be a way for players/fans to really delve into a deeper game of Viticulture by giving you the opportunity to play a legacy style game (by slowly "uncorking" each of the expansions). That seems super daunting to most people when they first play Viticulture and learn about Tuscany. I am sad that they cut so much from Tuscany Essential Edition, but I think by incorporating Mamas & Papas, Properties, Advanced Visitors, and Automa into Viticulture Essential Edition, the legacy style "uncorking" no longer made sense for Tuscany Essential Edition. Again, this is just my thinking, but by removing some of the expansions they streamlined Tuscany to make it easier for more players to access the game.

I also don't know how well your plans for combining two Tier 3 expansions would work-for me personally I think it would be overwhelming and I'd wind up leaning more toward one expansion over the other just to narrow down my choices.

I do hope that there is one day a Viticulture-like game about something other than wine. By removing Formaggio from Tuscany Essential Edition, maybe Stonemaier Games is saying that they want to do a cheese making game?! EH? Maybe?! A girl can dream anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.