Subject: Trying to understand how this is played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Göransson
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
mb
I got this game and I'm trying to play it, but it's proving difficult...

Under 2: Play Phase:
Quote:
If any decoys were drawn, all cattle cards (including decoys) must be played first.
If your hand contains four or more of either card type, those cards must be played first.
If your hand contains three or less of both card types, pick the type of your choice to play.

1. What happens if I have a decoy and four UFOs in my hand?

2. What if my hand has both 4 cattle (no decoys) and 4 UFOs?

Then this, under 3: Processing Phase, I cannot understand...

Quote:
If more than three columns of cattle (including decoys) or UFOs exist at this point, the cattle will run away. All UFOs and cattle in the play area are removed from the game.

3. So are they discarded or permanently removed from the game? What about a decoy in the play area?

Quote:
If the discards contain one or more decoys they are placed in the hangar instead of being removed.

4. Is "the discards" referring to the cards removed from the game or to the cards in my discard pile?

Quote:
And if they remain in the cattle play area does not escape, you can change to score a cow by the abduction (abduction is not mandatory, it does not matter to end the process without).

5. WAT!? Just what is this supposed to convey? This seems like a case of editing without proofreading.

6. Could I please get some examples of abduction phases? Preferably in increasing complexity. How does a decoy end up in the score storage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, Alexander!

pastorn wrote:
I got this game and I'm trying to play it, but it's proving difficult...

It's not just you. I've discussed "Super Abduction" with several other BGG members, and most everyone seems to agree that it is fun, but also bit tough to follow at first.

pastorn wrote:
Quote:
Under 2: Play Phase:

2. What if my hand has both 4 cattle (no decoys) and 4 UFOs?

The first question is a good one that I'll have to ask Kuro for a final ruling on. I believe the decoy would take precedence, but I'm not completely sure.

Could you tell me a bit more about how you ended up in the second situation? I'm not sure how that one is even possible. Each time you draw, you then proceed to play all the cards for one of the two types. So, at most your hand size should only be six after drawing cards. The second condition for playing cards (having four or more cards of a type) should kick in before ever reaching eight.

pastorn wrote:
Quote:
If more than three columns of cattle (including decoys) or UFOs exist at this point, the cattle will run away. All UFOs and cattle in the play area are removed from the game.

3. So are they discarded or permanently removed from the game? What about a decoy in the play area?

The literal translation from Japanese to English is "eliminate from the game". However, after recently getting to play "Super Abduction" for myself (I translated this long before owning a copy), I'm inclined to believe they all (except decoys) end up in the discard pile. I'll get in touch with Kuro about it.

I'll answer the second question below.

pastorn wrote:
Quote:
If the discards contain one or more decoys they are placed in the hangar instead of being removed.

4. Is "the discards" referring to the cards removed from the game or to the cards in my discard pile?

In this case it is referring to the cards you removed from the play area. Again, as for whether or not the cards are simply discarded or completely removed, I'll check with Kuro.

pastorn wrote:
Quote:
And if they remain in the cattle play area does not escape, you can change to score a cow by the abduction (abduction is not mandatory, it does not matter to end the process without).

5. WAT!? Just what is this supposed to convey? This seems like a case of editing without proofreading.

Thanks for pointing this out! It is indeed a missed line on my part that's left over from the early translation stage. All this means is that if cattle cards (including decoys) remain after "Processing", you may then proceed with the optional "Abduction" phase. Otherwise, simply move on to "Advance Processing".

pastorn wrote:
6. Could I please get some examples of abduction phases?

I'll post some a bit later today, as I soon have to get going.

pastorn wrote:
How does a decoy end up in the score storage?

If a decoy still remains in one of the cattle columns (and UFOs are also present in that same column) after "Processing", it is scored like any other cattle card and also helps with promoting card values during "Advanced Processing" (ie move from ones to tens, etc.). They then "escape" to the discard pile during the "End of Turn".

Hope all of this helps. Thanks again for the questions and pointing out the error. If you have additional questions about gameplay, you may want to check out the review video by Izobretenik on the game's main page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick update with a few answers straight from Kuro:

pastorn wrote:

It appears my guess on this one was correct. In this instance, playing the decoy would supersede playing the UFO cards.

pastorn wrote:

Any cards (except decoys) that are lost thanks to exceeding the number of columns are indeed removed completely from the game.

As for the promised examples, I'll try and finish putting together the images for those. Sorry for the delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Göransson
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
mb
kidsplinter wrote:
As for the promised examples, I'll try and finish putting together the images for those. Sorry for the delay.

No need to rush it. I feel like I have enough information to have another stab at this game. If you want some help with the examples, feel free to shoot me a message
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Göransson
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
mb
So I tried it again and another thing came up:

Quote:
If your hand contains four or more of either type, those cards must be played first.

Quote:
Blue
You may remove one UFO card from the playing area or take one from the discard pile, back into your hand.

7. If I stack 2 blue UFOs and choose to retrieve a UFO from the discard pile, what happens? Must the retrieved card be played (as it is of the type that I must play all of)? Or were the cards that has to be played this turn "locked in" at the start of the play phase and the retrieved card is not part of this group? And if the latter, may I play it anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pastorn wrote:
So I tried it again and another thing came up:

Quote:
If your hand contains four or more of either type, those cards must be played first.

Quote:
Blue
You may remove one UFO card from the playing area or take one from the discard pile, back into your hand.

7. If I stack 2 blue UFOs and choose to retrieve a UFO from the discard pile, what happens? Must the retrieved card be played (as it is of the type that I must play all of)? Or were the cards that has to be played this turn "locked in" at the start of the play phase and the retrieved card is not part of this group? And if the latter, may I play it anyway?

This one I can answer.

During the "play phase", all of the cards you chose from your hand (UFO or Cattle) are played to an unused column before any stacking occurs. This is why the rules state:

Quote:
If all the cards chosen at the beginning of phase 2 cannot be legally played within the three column limit, everything in the play area will be discarded during the next phase. Keep in mind that it is possible for column space to become vacant during the game due to stacking (see below)or card effects.

You could end up with more than three columns after playing your cards, but be spared having to discard everything thanks to stacking.

So, as you mentioned above, the cards you play for the turn are indeed locked in at the very start of the "play phase". Any cards you take back into your hand from the blue UFO effect won't be used until the following turn. This also means that the answer to your final question is a "no".

This is another section where I'll add some clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.