Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

The Battle for Normandy» Forums » General

Subject: There seems to be a flaw with scenario 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
There seems to be a flaw with scenario 1 that allows the German player to close in on the Allied player at night, that then forces the Allied player to attack all over the place the following AM GT at ridiculous odds. Normally this would be balanced out with Artillery, or in the case of an amphibious invasion, Naval Gunfire Support. The Allied player has no NGS in this scenario and Artillery is a long way off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

The scenario is meant to be quite difficult without the air or naval, but the Allied player is only required to attack from the farmland or open hexes, not the towns, strongpoints or wooded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey Dan, thanks for chiming in!
As I was closing in on my opponent it dawned on me that one way to really mess his invasion up was to close in on his forces at night forcing him to attack everywhere (except exempt terrain) at ridiculous odds the following morning. My opponent became so distraught over the slick move he quit the game and I can't say I blame him as it was a show stopping maneuver.

We both fully acknowledge this is just a "training" scenario and that the simple ability to add artillery to the equation halts such a practice but in this particular scenario no such assets are available that early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I'll have to try this again. I've probably played this scenario eight times (solo). Never won as the allies, but I've been close. The first few times playing this scenario I could barely get off the beach. Then barely to the closest objective (Trévières I think). Eventually I was driving on Insigny-sur-Mer and even launching an attack against it - but never with enough time to capture it for the win. I think what allowed me to progress was figuring out how to avoid attacking the entire German line. I would pick a few key enemy units and mass forces for decent odds against them, and use artillery to suppress adjacent enemy units (artillery-only attacks can fulfill mandatory attacks). I don't even care if the artillery does any harm - its purpose is to suppress (i.e. fulfill mandatory attacks).

It almost sounds like your opponent is getting pinned before artillery has even been landed? I wonder if you might be missing a rule in there somewhere? I've posted a 14-part playthrough of this scenario. Might want to check it out - or at least the turn or two after the initial landing. I apologize if you fall asleep while watching
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello Mike,

Your video's are a real inspiration and I enjoy watching them. It is difficult (and fool-hearty) for the Allied player to pile artillery in those first waves. My opponent made it off the beaches no problem but with nightfall and my quick whit, closing in to embrace his units under the cover of darkness was more than his unsupported fledgling invasion could handle. Looking back I suppose if we had continued he'd of simply lost a few steps and hexes, but it was the dynamic of closing in on his forces the way I did as a game tactic thereby forcing him to do what he otherwise would never do. This forced play was what turned him off as it took the control right out of his hands in an unusual way that can only be done in Scenario 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.