Cobus van Wyk
South Africa
Vryheid
KZN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. I hope that you are keeping well?

Do I need the deluxe expansions to add the next wave of chapter packs or can I buy War of Five Kings chapter packs to play with my core set plus Westeros cycle chapter packs?

Kind regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Schmidt
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thirteen-time World Champion Green Bay Packers!
badge
The time that we kill keeps us alive
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need to purchase the deluxe expansion (Lions of Casterly Rock) in order to use the monthly chapter packs that are being released.

All content can be mixed and matched at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To add to what Alex said, the Chapter Packs essentially follow the books. For instance, The "Westeros" cycle of Chapter Packs (six chapters) focuses on the first book. Then I believe that the current cycle, "War of the Five Kings" (another six chapters) focuses on the 2nd book (but I could be wrong on that). And each future cycle will follow the remaining books as such.

On the other hand, the deluxe expansions don't adhere to the arc of the books. They instead focus on one house each. So take for instance, the first deluxe expansion, "Wolves of the North", which focuses on House Stark. It provides additional Stark and neutral cards that blend into, and are true to the overall theme but without being tied to a particular book's narrative, if that makes sense.

And they also don't spoil anything... IOW, any cards that come out in a Deluxe House Expansion today won't spoil the narrative that will be introduced four cycles from now (or they're not supposed to, anyway). Also, before someone calls me out on it, the Deluxe Expansions also include cards from other houses other than the primary house, but just enough to keep fans of the other houses happy, and also so to prevent any imbalance that may've been created by one of the primary house cards.

Bottom Line:
The Chapter Pack Cycles focus on each book, in sequential order.
The Deluxe Expansions focus on each house, one at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cobus van Wyk
South Africa
Vryheid
KZN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent answers, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But remember that while cycles does cycle out of card pool, the deluxe sets does not, so in the long run deluxe sets Are more usefull that cycles.
But as it has been said above, in this game deluxe packs and cycles does not need eachothers to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hannibal_pjv wrote:
But remember that while cycles does cycle out of card pool, the deluxe sets does not, so in the long run deluxe sets Are more usefull that cycles.

In case there are any casual players reading this, I hope Pauli will grant me the liberty to add a clarification to what he said...

Yes, as time goes on, FFG will begin to drop older cycles from the card pool. But this only affects tournament players!

It's the "official tournament card pool" that Pauli is speaking of. If you're strictly a casual player, then of course you can continue to use cards from the very first chapter pack till they disintegrate into dust! And I believe that FFG will continue to publish the early cycles, even after they drop from the official pool, but I could be wrong on that.

Edit: Thanks to Drew, for confirming below that I was wrong as I suspected I might be, wrt my belief that FFG would continue printing dropped cycles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

And I believe that FFG will continue to publish the early cycles, even after they drop from the official pool, but I could be wrong on that.

Yeah, that's incorrect. One of FFG's stated reasons for their rotation policy is not just to keep the competitive cardpool under control, but also to limit the number of packs that retailers need to carry on their shelves. Also, you can imagine how confusing and disappointing it would be to a new player if they bought freshly printed packs that have already rotated out, and then show up for a local tournament with illegal decks.

From FFG's rotation announcement: "...our rotation policy is based upon the number of expansion cycles in print..."

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/a-new-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cobus van Wyk
South Africa
Vryheid
KZN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification on that. Appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.