Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Magnetization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
Hi,

I just finished magnetization and painting of the core set and I want to share with you the final result.

I had some hesitation at the beginning but finally I don’t have regrets. Possibility to have miniatures in line with equipped weapons on the character sheet is priceless...

I tried to avoid spending too many time and to have a robust miniature when playing (avoiding miniature explosion blush)

So I magnetized only the wrist and the back with more powerful magnet for “heavy” weapon with a natural tendency to rotate or fall (or to add a quiver or shield on the back to be the most stylish survivor cool).

See some example:

All unused parts are fixed on a magnetized paper stuck on a light paperboard (I don’t know the exact translation):

If some of you are interested by detail about how to do it don’t hesitate to ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where to find a guide for this?

Man my wife will kill me. How long did all this take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Bertyak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of magnet did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Parduckoponya wrote:
What kind of magnet did you use?

Most likely rare-earth magnets, I'm guessing 1mm (if they make that diameter) because of how small the wrists are on these models. The trouble with using magnets that small is that they don't have quite as much strength and the magnetized parts can move around a bit if touched. It should still stay in place when in a resting position, just don't expect it to stay still throughout a game while you pick up and move stuff.

I've seen those magnetized sheets at Craft stores like Michael's or Jo-Ann's. They're about 8.5x11" and meant to be like stickers, with one end magnetized and the other end the sticky end. I did something like this for some Space Hulk minis I had worked on before and it works great.

Nice job OP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thats really cool, you have an excellent game now. That would be so fun to play. I know there is no way I would have the dedication or motivation to do it myself though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Bertyak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have those 1mm magnets but they are way too big for the waists... They are too big even for the shoulders so I decided to assembly the minis only with glue... I am just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
@Darkwing : I took some guides and advertises everywhere here and on the net. So I will add how I did it laugh
For the time spent it's difficult to say. Magnetization itself it's really less important than assembling and painting miniatures.
For twelve minis I think I spent 1h to drill and stuck the magnet. For corresponding weapons maybe 2h. First try was long but after some practice it's quick (compared to other work).
Of course I stopped playing video game in the same time to avoid wife issue

@Istvan : I used 1,5x0,5mm (power N50, 20gr adherence) for wrist and 2x1mm for back (N50, 100gr).

@Sid : I didn't have trouble during my latest 10h played with the magnetized minis. Some weapons like thunder maul or dragon slayer could rotate if not blocked by another parts of the mini and in this case the back fitting works like a charm. And have the others players crying like a little girl each time he has a new weapon or armor to equip is really grateful
For the magnetized paper it's normally dedicated to printer (A4 format) is expensive for my use (11€ for 3 sheets) and Maybe your will be better.
For me it's necessary to have this kind of parts stockied like that to avoid to spend too many time in search during playing.

Edit for Istvan latest answer : by mistake I drill 4 minis at the 2mm diameter ... It's really just but it's feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I was considering doing the back magnet, but wasn't sure how. How did you manage that? Just picked a relatively flat spot and put one in, painting over it? I also plan to magnetize my heads as well as hands but that's another problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Bertyak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
Yes you have to add it at the belt level or just below. I drill a little to have a good position and I paint it after to hide it in case of not use. It's better to let the magnet sticking out the drill to be sure the weapon will be fully fitted to the magnet.
At the begining I thank to magnetize the head too but because minis are manipulated at this level I prefered finally to avoid (not expected decapitation of the minis could give some idea to monsters )
I will take some pictures if you want seeing more example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skouic wrote:
@Darkwing : I took some guides and advertises everywhere here and on the net. So I will add how I did it laugh
For the time spent it's difficult to say. Magnetization itself it's really less important than assembling and painting miniatures.
For twelve minis I think I spent 1h to drill and stuck the magnet. For corresponding weapons maybe 2h. First try was long but after some practice it's quick (compared to other work).
Of course I stopped playing video game in the same time to avoid wife issue

@Istvan : I used 1,5x0,5mm (power N50, 20gr adherence) for wrist and 2x1mm for back (N50, 100gr).

@Sid : I didn't have trouble during my latest 10h played with the magnetized minis. Some weapons like thunder maul or dragon slayer could rotate if not blocked by another parts of the mini and in this case the back fitting works like a charm. And have the others players crying like a little girl each time he has a new weapon or armor to equip is really grateful
For the magnetized paper it's normally dedicated to printer (A4 format) is expensive for my use (11€ for 3 sheets) and Maybe your will be better.
For me it's necessary to have this kind of parts stockied like that to avoid to spend too many time in search during playing.

Edit for Istvan latest answer : by mistake I drill 4 minis at the 2mm diameter ... It's really just but it's feasible.

So where to get these magnets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alot of craft/hobby stores have them, but you can also just do a search for 'Neodymium Rare Earth Magnets' and you'll probably find something from somewhere. I think MagCraft is a big company that deals with those.

Big word of warning though: DO NOT LET BABIES OR SMALL CHILDREN PLAY WITH THESE. One might just pass through their system, but it's especially bad if they swallow multiple magnets since they can get stuck together in their intestines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
I sent you the web link where I bought them.

In all case and to avoid nightmare don't let your children play with KD :M stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dees
msg tools
Could you please post some close up shots of the wrists and weapons? I would love to see exactly what you've done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Bertyak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you please send the link with magnets to me as well? Thank you in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thickitt
United States
flag msg tools
While you're at it, me as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.