Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop the Germs! hits Kickstarter today at 11am EDT. Please use this thread for all Kickstarter related discussion and questions. The link to the campaign will be added here once it becomes available. Hope to see you there!

Kickstarter Link to Stop the Germs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! Hoping to be one of the very first backers!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I make stuff. Visit jpeetdesigns.com
mbmbmbmbmb
allenj82 wrote:

Thanks man! Really looking forward to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Well... I was highly anticipating this campaign as I stumbled on the previous version of the game after several threads and lists about free/pnp/small games, as lately we seem to be into ultraportable fillers...

Very disappointed: no early bird incentive; high price! (is it really retailing soon for MORE than 19 USD?!); extra 50% to ship to Europe! (So 1/3 of my investment is helping DHL shares but not the creator??)

I thought of group-pledging for the 6-of reward, but as every would-be co-investor remarked, there are several (much) cheaper alternatives to purchase or give as presents (zombie dice, mint works, age of war, pocket invaders, virus, star realms...); or we can pledge for pnp and try to stuff everything in one of those soap-and-bubbles things from my kids (but they are usually opaque), as we don't use the archetypal House Vicodin type of pillbox here...

Or maybe just invest in/purchase something with more tangible value for nearly 30 EUR...

Apologies if this is not the correct thread to rant my opinion on the ks campaign (NOT on the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciniconoclasta wrote:
Apologies if this is not the correct thread to rant my opinion on the ks campaign (NOT on the game).

Marco, this is as good as a place as any to rant or share your opinion on the game or the current kickstarter campaign.

I'm happy that you were looking forward to this campaign after seeing it on the many geeklists that its been added to but I am also very sorry that you were so disappointed when you visited the campaign's page.

Before getting into the specific reasons you listed, I want to share a bit more about the Simple Design Publishing process. My company is really a one man show (me) and I do this as a hobby, like almost all publishers. But I also do things a little differently when it comes to the traditional route of publishing a game. As with my first KS game Stac, I won't be ordering complete games from a manufacturer. I'm ordering the components from a few different vendors and putting each copy together by hand. It may not make the most sense to do it this way but it's the way I've chosen to go with Stac and now with Stop the Germs!. Games in the future may go differently but when you do literal out of the box packaged games, things on the manufacturing side get complicated. So in order to keep the price down and be able to fulfill pledges quicker than normal, I've chosen to do it this way.

Speaking of price, you're not the first person to mention the price was high for what they were getting and I can see that. I likely wouldn't back the game as an international backer because my gaming budget is slim and $29 is a lot to shell out for something so small, but the price was set deliberately to make just enough to afford to print and ship 500 copies of the game. By taking my unconventional route of producing it, increasing that number to say 1000 or 1500 doesn't save me a lot of money so setting a higher goal didn't seem worth the risk. We honestly didn't know how people would respond to a game packaged in a pill bottle so we wanted to be conservative when it came to setting a funding goal.

The game will likely retail around $19 without shipping, which is currently built into the price. For international backers such as yourself, some of the shipping costs are built in to the base price because shipping just costs that much. For example, to ship a copy of the game to Spain from the US would cost $13.50 where as a package shipped within the US would be $3.40, and both of those are before the cost of shipping materials. As I stated on the campaign's page, if the project goes...viral...then I may be able to ship within places like Europe using a fulfillment service.

As for the no early bird incentive, I've never done that and don't plan on doing them in the future. I want to keep my projects simple and give people the best game possible right off the bat. Which is why you'll also notice that there are no stretch goals either. Again, I like taking the non-traditional route.

There are plenty of other games out there that have the benefit of being able to print thousands of copies, and thus, have a very low price. One day I hope to be able to produce a game like that. I want to thank you for being interested in this game and hope that one day you'll be able to get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough explanation.
I understand the constraints you describe, and certainly I approve doing things the unconventional way. It's just a shame we have to sacrifice up to 50% of gaming budget whenever we want to purchase US products… or wait for ages for scarce copies sold by online retailers or local gaming stores (which sadly are usually not aware of KS campaigns or worse, not interested in import games, even when they have almost no text)…

I hadn't thought about the pill bottle presentation being an issue, but I agree, there is a bigger buffer of cynicism here in Europe, where it would surely not be a sales driver or constraint…

Anyhow, I'll just probably back the pnp pledge and hopefully help spreading game awareness…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
allenj82 wrote:

Good luck! I hope it gets enough backers to be funded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
Germflinger wrote:
allenj82 wrote:

Good luck! I hope it gets enough backers to be funded!

Thanks, I really appreciate that! The campaign is going well so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice looking games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Nice looking games

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.