Battle Line» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Deserter Steal My Traitor Card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
We were in the 3rd game of a 2 out of 3 match last night and it was a very close game as we each had already claimed 2 flags. We had each played 2 Tactics cards and I had already played the Traitor card.

On Terri's turn she plays the Deserter card and reaches across the Battle Line and grabs my Traitor card, lays it next to her Deserter card and then reaches over and takes one of my Troop cards on an unclaimed flag and quickly places it on her side of the Battle Line on an unclaimed flag.

I of course protest and tell her she can't do that and she smugly reads the Deserter card out loud emphasizing "The player may choose ANY ONE Troop or Tactics card from the opponent's side". She explains that she is using Deserter to steal my Traitor and then playing my Traitor card to steal the Troop card and place it on her side.

I try to explain to her that my Traitor card I played earlier is NOT in one of the slots by an unclaimed flag and there fore is not eligible to be stolen by the Deserter card and I reach over and take back both the Traitor card and my Troop card that she swiped. She insists that the Traitor card is laying by an unclaimed flag because I had it sitting over by the Tactics Deck which is right where we did have an unclaimed flag that no one had played on yet. I tell her that the Traitor card was not played there, it is just laying there after I played it. I then showed her the rule in the rule book on Guile Tactics. I also pointed out that IF that play was allowed it would violate the Tactics rule of only being able to play up to 1 more Tactics card than your opponent has played as she would have ended up with 4 Tactics cards played to my 1. She insisted that I post this rule question on BGG so here I am.

I ended up winning that final game 5 flags to 4 and she is very competitive so there was a bit of after game trash talk and mumbo jumbo about how I cheated her on a very clever play that probably cost her the game.

Based on the rule book I am about 99% confident that I am right in how we played that, but she wants to hear it from the experts so please chime in with your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you were right. Using Traitor Tactics card you choose any one Troop or Tactics card from the opponent's side next to an unclaimed flag. There are 3 types of Tactics cards and the Guile Tactics (Scout, Redeploy, Deserter, Traitor) are placed face up on the player’s own side next to the Tactics deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious. If the traitor was by an unclaimed flag would she be able to play it or would it need to go in her hand, given the rules about how many tactic cards you're allowed to play (in relation to the number your opponent has played)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I'm curious. If the traitor was by an unclaimed flag would she be able to play it or would it need to go in her hand, given the rules about how many tactic cards you're allowed to play (in relation to the number your opponent has played)

I don't believe she can even take the Traitor card from me because once I have played it, it is no longer in play and not available for her to steal with her Deserter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
venrondua wrote:

I don't believe she can even take the Traitor card from me because once I have played it, it is no longer in play and not available for her to steal with her Deserter card.

Oh right of course. The face up cards next to the board are there to remind players of the number of tactic cards that have been played. They are in essence discard after use.

It's been a while since I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
venrondua wrote:

Correct, it is never placed by any flag. After you play the Traitor, it is discarded face up on your side, next to the Tactics deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever attempt by her. However, as pointed out, she actually violates 2 rules:

1) Traitor AND Deserter apply only to cards that belong to (what the rules mean when they say "next to") an unclaimed flag

2) She would have as a result played too many tactics cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.