Popular Tags: [View All]
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up in a charity shop years ago (for some reason when you find the game in the game browser, it says 2002 in brackets, but it is much older than that) and it was played a bit, I dug it out when looking at games for the Streets of London list, and finding that there was next to no info on the game I thought I'd write this quick review from my memory and a look back at the rules, which are printed completely on the inside of the box lid.

The game is played on a London map with various locations marked with red circles while others are marked with blue. Each player has a Holmes and a Watson piece and before play begins he picks one of the eight possible cases to investigate taking the six clue cards corresponding to that case.

Play begins by each player, in turn, placing both his pieces on the red location corresponding to one of his clues and placing the corresponding clue card face up on the table, the player also places a policeman piece on one of the blue circles.

When each player has done this, play proceeds by each player in turn moving their Holmes and Watson pieces, either together or separately, a player may choose not to move either piece but may not do so two turns in succession. Holmes may not move to an occupied space and Watson may not move to a space occupied by another player piece.

When Holmes visits a red location corresponding to one of the required six, the card is turned up, but not if Watson visits on his own. Watson is used for two purposes, first he may move on to a space occupied by a policeman displacing the policeman to an adjacent space. If that space is occupied by another piece (of any type), then that piece is also displaced and may in turn displace others leading to a chain reaction. All the movements in a chain are carried out by the player who started the chain. Watson is also useful because at any time that Holmes and Watson are not adjacent, Holmes my immediately jump to Watson's location.

When a player has collected all six required clues, both Holmes and Watson must return to 221B Baker Street, both arriving on the same turn. The first player to do this is the winner.

I think I have pretty much described all that is required to play the game in the few short paragraphs above, so it can be seen that there is not a lot to the game. It is many years since I last played, but I remember that there was a tendency for it to come to a bit of a stalemate where people were continuous shoving lines of policeman on way or another to prevent rival Holmes from reaching his last one or two clues. This would be more of a problem with more players (meaning more policemen).

Looking back now, we had a bit of fun with the game fro a brief period, but I doubt that it will be played again because it really can't compare with today's games on the same theme such as 221B Baker St.

I've rated this as a 5 on the game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for an interesting review. I am a bit of a Holmes fan and have both the UK and US versons of 221B plus all the cases. I am also now getting the new re release of Consulting Detective. I have often looked at the Triang Sherlock Holmes game on ebay and considered putting a bid on it and maybe one day I will. But thanks to your review I might not bother for awhile. SHERLOCK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Saved me some pennies too. Ta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.