Subject: Question about the map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in buying this game. I play a few other starship games (Silent Death, Battlefleet Gothic, Noble Armada, etc) and some use hexes and some do not so I am curious about the map that the FC games use. I believe they are 1" hexes (when measured from side to side)? How important is using the maps they provide? Do any of the scenarios/rules refer to certain hexes or assume your map is X hexes wide by Y hexes high?

If you play with the miniatures, I assume you need a larger hex size and was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a size?

Also, while I am here, I am searching for a nice looking, outer space themed mat with and without hexes (double sided). Does anyone know of anyone that makes such things? I know of Monday Knight Productions but they are very unresponsive to questions and do not seem to make them double-sided and Hotz ArtWorks mats which appear to make double-sided mats. I know Chessex makes black mats but wanted something more exciting than plain black.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The map that comes with the game is two sided. One side has 1/2" hexes and the other side has 1" hexes. The map is mounted and is modular. Some maps have planets or asteroids on them. The game also comes with two different sizes of counters. The smaller counters are functional while the large counters each have a nice full color picture of the ship. You can use any hex map you want. I use my old Silent Death cloth map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I never got the cloth map for SD.
I still have the paper maps but figured it was time to get something that looked nicer and could be used for hexless games by flipping it over.

One last question, is the map for FC:RB the same as the ones in FC:KB?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The maps from Klingon Border and Romulan Border are the same. Each or the six panels is empty space. The two panels from Klingon Attack have planets. The two panels in Romulan Attack have asteroids. The two panels in Tholian Attack have webs.

There are other places to get maps. The ones from Hotz look very attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of the Hotz ones, too, although I'm not sure I'm willing to sink the money into them. (Not to go too far off-track here, but I really like the idea for one for Wings of War.) Their space map is very lovely.

My *very* limited experience in using minis with the 1"-size hexes provied in the KB and RB sets is that they're not ideal, as there's a fair bit of crowding when minis are adjacent, let alone in the same hex.

I'll double-check on the hex numbers. I don't recall any secnario using them, but I don't have all the scenarios, either.

ETA: The scenarios I know of do tend to assume that you're using the panels included with the sets, so they'll talk about a grid "six panels long" or the like. That'd be easy enough to duplicate with a larger hex mat as long as you marked off the boundaries in some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've double-checked on the hex-number thing. There are no scenarios at present (not official ones, anyway) that make use of the hex numbers, partly, I'm told, because they're repeated so often with the relatively small map panels. Everything's given in relative terms, something like x hexes from the edge.

The only other note is that they do, however, use the "scatter" diagram for ship direction (A, B, C), though you could presumably figure that out.

As far as number of hexes goes, the 1" side is about 8 hexes by 9, with the 8th horizontal hex somewhat incomplete. The 1/2" size is about 14x15 hexes, with some cutoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, thanks so much for the detailed info about the map! I printed out the First Missions and see the scatter diagram which is definitely easy enough to figure out.

Thanks, again!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.