GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Dominion: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enchantress effect on Crown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
There's an interesting thread on Crown as it relates to Overlord in this forum. Taking the principles from there, I am seeking clarification on how Enchantress affects Crown during the Buy phase. If an opponent's Enchantress is in play and I have played no Action cards in my Action phase, it is my belief that playing a Crown in my buy phase would result in drawing 1 Card and gaining an Action. Naturally, I can no longer use the Action unless I can manage to return to the Action phase with a Villa. Is this correct? Obviously, it is best to play it during the Action phase if that is the case. Not that we necessarily declare when we are moving from phase to phase. We had this situation arise when a player wished to Crown a Gold with an Enchantress in play and she had not played an Action card prior to her Buy phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. Enchantress can affect Crown even if it's played in the Buy phase, so it's almost always better to play it in the Action phase in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I've found that, with various Empires effects, one sometimes has to explicitly say "Entering buy phase", "Re-entering action phase" etc. in the running commentary of what's happening on a turn.

So: "Playing Village. Playing Smithy. Entering buy phase. Playing Crown. Playing Gold twice..." or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
I've found that, with various Empires effects, one sometimes has to explicitly say "Entering buy phase", "Re-entering action phase" etc. in the running commentary of what's happening on a turn.

So: "Playing Village. Playing Smithy. Entering buy phase. Playing Crown. Playing Gold twice..." or whatever.
This happened a lot even with just base game. Current player says "Militia", and then you get folks discarding down to 3, or revealing Moat, only to have the current player saying he was buying a Militia, not playing one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
LastFootnote wrote:
You are correct. Enchantress can affect Crown even if it's played in the Buy phase, so it's almost always better to play it in the Action phase in that situation.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
ackmondual wrote:
Current player says "Militia", and then you get folks discarding down to 3, or revealing Moat, only to have the current player saying he was buying a Militia, not playing one.

Oh, indeed. For the most part, we just say the card name if playing it, and "Buying XYZ" when buying. But for things with on-buy or on-gain effects which impact other players, we tend to say "Playing XYZ" when playing it to minimise confusion.

At least, most of us do. One player in our group keeps getting us muddled enough to draw a card when they play a Lost City. Grr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does enchantress have the same effect on (eg) Venture from prosperity or some of the other treasures that do things to other treasures in the buy phase, if it's he first thing done this turn? Crown is effectively a treasure when playing a treasure twice ...so I would guess the same applies to others in a similar situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
Does enchantress have the same effect on (eg) Venture from prosperity or some of the other treasures that do things to other treasures in the buy phase, if it's he first thing done this turn? Crown is effectively a treasure when playing a treasure twice ...so I would guess the same applies to others in a similar situation.

No. Enchantress only affects Actions. Venture is not an Action. Crown is. Crown is also a Treasure, but Enchantress doesn't care about that. Crown isn't effectively a Treasure. It always is a Treasure and an Action no matter when you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just been re-reading the rules for enchantress and the penny dropped ...I've rushed back to the forum to change my story ...and you've got in first ... Of course ...it only effects Actions.

It was a doh! moment for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wood

Ohio
msg tools
I played a cool game with Enchantress the other day, this card really affected strategy and use of opening actions on turns.

This is probably an obvious answer, but if you play a duration card as the first action card when someone else has played a enchantress previously, I assume the "duration" effect on the next turn will be negated (since the duration card is turned into an effect of +1 card, +1 action)? If that were the case, I would assume you would clean-up the duration card, since it didn't have a next turn effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodra wrote:
I played a cool game with Enchantress the other day, this card really affected strategy and use of opening actions on turns.

This is probably an obvious answer, but if you play a duration card as the first action card when someone else has played a enchantress previously, I assume the "duration" effect on the next turn will be negated (since the duration card is turned into an effect of +1 card, +1 action)? If that were the case, I would assume you would clean-up the duration card, since it didn't have a next turn effect?
Right and right: no effect and clean up the same turn it was played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Romano
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
woodra wrote:

Right and right: no effect and clean up the same turn it was played.

What about duration cards with a dividing line like lighthouse. Can I still keep that out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fullynice wrote:
What about duration cards with a dividing line like lighthouse. Can I still keep that out?

While the below-the-line text on Lighthouse isn't affected by Enchantress, that part doesn't cause Lighthouse to stay in play, so it (Lighthouse played when affected by Enchantress) will be discarded the turn you played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Gosh! I've only just noticed that Lighthouse's protection from attack is "while in play", not "until your next turn". A Procession of Lighthouses doesn't seem so great any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But the lighthouse stays in play until discarded at the end of next turn (surely) therefore protecting against 'attack' cards (not posession though ...'cos it's not an attack card!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near PoznaƄ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
But the lighthouse stays in play until discarded at the end of next turn (surely) therefore protecting against 'attack' cards (not procession though ...'cos it's not an attack card!)

If you Procession a Lighthouse, it does not protect you from attacks, because it gets trashed and therefore is not in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry ...I meant to type possession but the spell checker adjusted it before I submitted .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
But the lighthouse stays in play until discarded at the end of next turn (surely) therefore protecting against 'attack' cards

No, it doesn't. Duration cards stay in play until Clean-up on the last turn they do something. If Lighthouse's [+1 Action; +$1; At the start of your next turn, +$1] is replaced with [+1 Card; +1 Action], then it is doing nothing on future turns and gets discarded the same turn you play it. So it doesn't end up protecting you from any Attack cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.