Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I noticed that not many people have been talking about the new expansion. It may be that not everyone has picked it up yet. Well, I got it and i'll answer any questions you have that i'm capable of answering. I'd also like to throw some information out to you too.

The shop items (all act 2) are really fantastic. A ranged weapon for high might characters and a fists that give you a free attack action are by far my favourites.

*Edit: I'll try to refresh every 30 minutes to view your questions today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

From what you write it seems they've tried to give hybrid classes a bit of support equipment-wise. What's your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with that completely! Armor with the rune trait, giving a better dice for each rune you have equipped would be the item that supports your statement.

150 gold
Rune-Touched Leather
brown
1 more rune makes it grey
2 more runes make it black

Think Rune Plate, but restrictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
[...]

... and cost-effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Thanks!

From what you write it seems they've tried to give hybrid classes a bit of support equipment-wise. What's your opinion?

I think the reasoning for this is to support heroes that might not have the best synergies with the class cards. I feel that the class synergy heroes will be better though. I do hope that when the next expansion arrives, that another ranged weapon with melee characters in mind will be released. Maybe a "rune bow" too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
[...]

... and cost-effective.

That's right. The thing that gets to me is that you can buy any act 1 item at a certain point in the game. You can't do that for act 2 though. So if you can afford and meet the requirements after the interlude, great. If you can't, this will be your second chance to get a similar effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't gotten my copy yet, but is there a lot of duplicated mechanics, cards, and tokens from Mists of Bilehall in this box? I watched one unboxing video, and it looks like it has the same Terror condition, and more crumbling walls.

What percent of this box is new new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
85% hybrid classes, 9 new act 2 items, 3 relics, 3 monster groups, 3 act 2 lieutenant cards, overlord class that functions well with unkindness class, and new tiles.

15% is crumbling terrain, lieutenant tokens, terror condition and tokens, crumbling walls. I did set all of this aside as i don't need it to play.

It was disheartening to see lots of essentially "excess waste" if you bought MoB. It really shouldn't have been split in 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
85% hybrid classes, 9 new act 2 items, 3 relics, 3 monster groups, 3 act 2 lieutenant cards, overlord class that functions well with unkindness class, and new tiles.

15% is crumbling terrain, lieutenant tokens, terror condition and tokens, crumbling walls. I did set all of this aside as i don't need it to play.

It was disheartening to see lots of essentially "excess waste" if you bought MoB. It really shouldn't have been split in 2.

Well why have you pay $40 for a big box expansion when Asmodee could have you pay $60 for two small boxes?

It's possible the reason they split it up was due to the fact that they couldn't sell a big box expansion for the price point they wanted.

If they do anymore physical content (though I think this is the end of it) they will continue to follow the format that they did with these two expansions.

The trend has recently been a get less for your money affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:
InfinityBlack14 wrote:

Well why have you pay $40 for a big box expansion when Asmodee could have you pay $60 for two small boxes?

It's possible the reason they split it up was due to the fact that they couldn't sell a big box expansion for the price point they wanted.

If they do anymore physical content (though I think this is the end of it) they will continue to follow the format that they did with these two expansions.

This may lead to one of us players gathering everyone to send criticism to ffg. I like it. I was thinking it could've been time restraints, but if you think this trend has been ongoing, we may have to do something....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
pixel pusher wrote:
InfinityBlack14 wrote:

This may lead to one of us players gathering everyone to send criticism to ffg. I like it. I was thinking it could've been time restraints, but if you think this trend has been ongoing, we may have to do something....

It was a really REALLY weak expansion... (Side note - I didn't realize going into it was that we don't have any new LTs... so at least there isn't more $$$ there I was expecting to spend. PHEW!)

Especially now that I am an App only user - it was just kind of a pathetic expansion.

$40 for 8 plastics, 4 pages of tiles/bits to punchout, and a handful of cards... come on FFG!! I am disappoint. I'm interested in the hybrid classes - but that only took 16 cards... each class/hybrid gets 4 cards...

The LTs in the box were just Act 2 versions of existing LTs - the last expansion only had the act 1 versions I guess... so great - we have those now.

9 shop cards... ok...

It was just the first time I opened up a Descent expansion and went - "Really? That's all?"

Here's hoping they really knock it out of the park with the next one AND really get us some killer new app content.

Personally - I'd like some unique outdoor ruin and location/city tiles and bits that are specifically designed for new quests (they can print a few physical quests with it for non-app users) in the app that are just really fun unique experiences.

Step up your game FFG - this one felt a LITTLE pricey for what we got...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're an app-only player, well, yeah, I guess it won't offer much to you. But there's a lot of stuff for an Overlord player, and a lot of quests for the heroes to play. But yes, probably it's easier to sell two small expansions for $40 each than one large one for $80.

I'd guess there'll be a few more physical products on the way. RtL has drummed up interest again and there are still 12 first edition heroes without counterparts in Descent, some of which are already showing up in Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
If you're an app-only player, well, yeah, I guess it won't offer much to you.

Yeah - which is a bummer.

Hopefully the make a campaign that uses this campaign and the one before and really uses the crumbling walls etc...

I'd like to see content that really uses the expansions beyond just one single side quest added to the campaign.

I'm sure it's coming. And I'm not really sure what I expected... it was just so light on STUFF in the box I felt let down.

I have a full collection - so stupid me was going to get it... but - I will very seriously look at the next and ask if it's worth it if it is this light.

As for the other heroes - I'm of the opinion (and maybe I'm in the minority here) that we are really to the point where we have enough heroes and monster types. Give me unique tiles, events, and experiences. The app offers a lot of unique possibilities with the hidden experience... there have been a couple times now where I went "wow - that was awesome" when a choice in the app led to a really cool event in the quest... you can't do that in the tabletop version with the heroes knowing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Give me unique tiles, events, and experiences. The app offers a lot of unique possibilities with the hidden experience... there have been a couple times now where I went "wow - that was awesome" when a choice in the app led to a really cool event in the quest... you can't do that in the tabletop version with the heroes knowing anything.

One tile really stuck out to me, although it was one of the smallest. it was a 1x4 piece, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
SoylentRed wrote:

It was just the first time I opened up a Descent expansion and went - "Really? That's all?"

Seriously, I was excited to find this in the store only to open it and see how much waste there was. I mean 1 of the 4 sheets of cardboard was almost completely wasted. And not just with redundant lieutenant, crumbling wall and terror tokens.

The hero tokens and huge pile of damage tokens that are useless to absolutely EVERYONE is really frustrating to me this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the disappointment. But keep in mind that the lead time it takes for a physical expansion to be designed, tested, completed, and manufactured is quite long, and may not have matched well with the time frame for making the app. I don't know when app development started, but Bilehall/Chains may not have been designed with it in mind at all, and vice versa.

I'd expect future app content to take advantage of what these expansions offer, though. At least the tiles and monsters. And future physical products might now take the app more fully into account.

As for the wasted tokens, EVERY Descent expansion has them, and they tend to coincide with the maximum you'd ever need. Since every hero gets extra health while Tainted, the original game's tokens might not be enough. Some quests and monster abilities use extra hero tokens. If you already have other expansions you won't need them. If Chains is your first, then you well may. It's smart to make any expansion an equally valid entry point, and I prefer it to a nested this-requires-this expansion structure.

Nearly every expansion FFG puts out is self-contained. I have bags of extraneous tokens for X-Wing. It's waste for me, but it's not waste for someone who doesn't have them already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel like we may have derailed. I'll post another thread regarding our disappointment and what can be changed to prevent this from happening again. Tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, sorry. I'll shush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Ah, sorry. I'll shush.

Don't worry, you're not the only one upset with the content. I want anyone interested to ask all their questions regarding this expansion resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually not upset with the content! I primarily play on tabletop and it adds a lot there. I just understand the disappointment if you're an app-only player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
pixel pusher wrote:
[q="InfinityBlack14"]

I really hope this is not the end of content. If not the physical components, at least not the end of app content. I have some fear that the app might be back burnered or even abandoned at this point. Would be cool to have an app focused physical expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Considering the effect RtL had on Descent sales, I think it is very unlikely the app ill hit the back-burner. In fact, I'd be surprised if physical content didn't get pushed back in favor of app development.

2) As a primarily table-top player, my biggest worry regarding the app and future descent content would be that we'll see a reduction in Overlord content (specifically cards/classes). That's some of the most important content for me, but it has no place in the app. Hopefully, future expansions will have something to offer both types of players.

3)Without getting into specifics, I can say that testing for both Mists and Chains began before I had even heard of RtL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc N
msg tools
mbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:

That was my thought, too. There is no reason to release 2 half-expansions that create 1 campaign other than to make more money, essentially increasing the expansion cost. I'd have rather waited for a single big box expansion than to buy a half and then wait another 8 months for the other half.

Not to mention to repeated components between the two half-expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liquidlogic wrote:
pixel pusher wrote:

That was my thought, too. There is no reason to release 2 half-expansions that create 1 campaign other than to make more money, essentially increasing the expansion cost. I'd have rather waited for a single big box expansion than to buy a half and then wait another 8 months for the other half.

As for FFG splitting the expansion in half.

Imo FFG wanted to have 2 major releases for Descent among the year, but had only enough resources for a big box expansion. The added price probably was a nice incentive as well.

I think FFG didn't really think the app would take off as it did and if they knew, they maybe would have put more resources into a smoother app launch and release an chains of bilehall big box expansion some time after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
liquidlogic wrote:
pixel pusher wrote:

It's to make more money but not in the way you think. Small box expansions have sold better than large box ones. Hence this approach.

And if you look on these forums, the mini campaigns have been very popular (to the point it was retroactively added to LotW). Lots of people like the shorter experience. That you can play these expansions as two mini campaigns, or one big one, is a big plus.

Yes this was to make more money, but only in the sense that more people will buy this sort of thing as more people want it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.