Subject: What to get: army or reinforcements packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't have the game yet, but I have to opportunity to get it and I plan on getting some expansions with it, since importing them later is very expansive.

Just the core box is replayable enough? From what I could understand my choices (in order of max cost to minimal) are:

1: Just the core box is enough. US$ 0

2: Just a reinforcement pack to add some variety. US$ 11.5

3: Getting one of the army packs (which one?) from the new faction (purple) to have 3 choices of factions: US$ 30

4: Getting only the three reinforcement packs to add some big monsters to the mix. US$ 34

5: 2 + 3. US$ 41.5

6: Getting the added pack of each original faction (red and blue). US$ 60

What do you think?

PS: is the dice pack needed? Do you usually lack dice for a roll? Or that is just to have a set for each player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Reinforcement packs offer comparatively poor value for money. Fun, sure, but they've felt like a luxury purchase more-so than anything else. I wouldn't recommend any of them for a budget buyer unless you get really excited about dragons or something.

If you prefer depth of play, army packs for the base game factions give you most options. Getting Heralds of Dreadfall instead to have three equivalent factions provides shallow variety in comparison. Which is not a bad thing. I personally felt that with repeated plays the increased army building options offered by red & blue army packs (or both purple packs) offered the best experience. Would it be worth 60 bucks to you? I have no idea.

So base game only vs base+heralds of dreadfall... How much is 30$ to you? It adds some fun variety especially if you like the aesthetics. I don't think it noticeably improves play experience as such, but on the other hand 30$ for the right to rampage with some skeletons is always fun, right?

I ran out of dice every single game before I bought the dice pack. Four dice is simply insufficient considering how easy it is to stack up bonus rolls. But I wouldn't label them necessary as it's easy to remember what you rolled and then roll one or two dice again. But I still got the pack as I found that sort of thing unduly infuriating.

Do you think you'll really like this game? Do you find the idea of army building appealing? Then I'd seriously consider the blue & red army packs. Does it just look like a fun game of tossing toy soldiers at each other? You can probably get by with base game by itself, maybe add undead if you like their look. And grab extra dice if you're a petty guy who gets mad at component scarcity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think that I would like options for building an army but I really dislike deck building (planning which cards will work better with each other). The red/blue packs seems to be a nice option, but I read somewhere that you have to replace the deck and add some cards, and so on, is that "deck building" in a way? Or do you just have to choose another deck instead (and get a deck ready to play)?

The 60 bucks from the red/blue pack double the price of the game, do you think it doubles the fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second getting a dice pack. I think you can have a ton of fun with just the base set and a dice pack, if you're on a tight budget. There really is a lot in that box.

If you do decide to get army packs, I think your decision needs to be based on whether you want to get 1 army pack or 2.

Buy 1 army pack: Heralds of Dreadfall
Buy 2 army packs: Guardians of Hernfar AND Warband of Scorn

You indicated you'll probably just get 1. If so, I think you should go for Heralds of Dreadfall because its units are most similar to the units in the two core armies. This will give you more variety in your games as you mix it up between three completely different armies.

If you can afford 2 army packs, I recommend expanding your base armies. You'll have a large variety of units, scenarios, and lore cards. It'll keep the game fresh for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhouluyi wrote:
I think that I would like options for building an army but I really dislike deck building (planning which cards will work better with each other). The red/blue packs seems to be a nice option, but I read somewhere that you have to replace the deck and add some cards, and so on, is that "deck building" in a way? Or do you just have to choose another deck instead (and get a deck ready to play)?

The 60 bucks from the red/blue pack double the price of the game, do you think it doubles the fun?

The deck-building rules are quite simple. You choose 1 deck, take out 5 cards, and add in 5 cards from the other deck. Because there are several cards that reference specific units, you can easily pull those out if the unit isn't in your army and then replace those cards with cards from the other deck that correspond to units you have included.

But your point is totally valid. If you want to just pick it up and play with as little customization as possible, I think you should just get 1 Undead box. That will keep the options slim enough that nobody gets overwhelmed with customization. Then, if you really like the game, you can expand all three armies later at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garrett's reasoning is sound. I'd say, based on your stated preferences, that the base game, plus Heralds of Dreadfall, plus maybe extra dice, is going to give you a nice set of options and no burden for the sort of in-game customization that you seem to dislike.

Note that even the reinforcement packs have lore deck customization as part of the army-building process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
zhouluyi wrote:

To be short: yes.

They're all essentially more-of-the-same type expansions, so if you don't like the base game you won't like the expansions either. But especially army building aspect benefits from nearly doubled unit variety.

If my Battlelore 2e stuff burned down I would re-buy base game with red & blue packs straight away. And that's paying 40€ per pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
But your point is totally valid. If you want to just pick it up and play with as little customization as possible, I think you should just get 1 Undead box. That will keep the options slim enough that nobody gets overwhelmed with customization. Then, if you really like the game, you can expand all three armies later at the same time.

Now I'm torn between getting 3 basic factions or getting 2 expanded factions. I will give it some more thought and try to see if some gameplays make it easier to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Repeating myself from similar forum posts, but I'd say deeper army customization, new lore cards and more scenario choices are the way to go. Get Warband of Scorn and Guardians of Hernfar. The undead will be a nice change of pace once you've played with core factions enough.

Also, like you I find some of the Battlelore setup too fiddly and didn't care for the Lore customization part of it. There are ways to house-rule it if you'd prefer and don't mind altering the rules. We took all the lore cards, mixed them together but then removed all the duplicates. Gives you a 24 card deck, very close to the standard 20 card deck. No duplicates means it's more random, but you see a greater variety of cards. We also play that if you draw a lore card you can't use, discard it and draw another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all for the feedback and I think I'm close to seal the deal on core +red/blue armies.

Final question: something that always bug me in Summoner Wars is that you need complete knowledge of every unit in the board. Otherwise all your planning and setup for a deadly attack might go down because a measly small unit ends adjacent to something and you didn't notice its special power to render that specific attack useless.

How prevalent is that in Battlelore? Some vulnerability/immunity/resistance is fine, a power that is always active and render something that you do completely ineffective is terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of too many direct counters. If you just read through the unit cards a few times, you'll have a good sense of what each unit can and can't do. Most of the surprises come from lore cards. Just like you said, you may set up a great turn where you think you'll have the enemy on the run, and they'll play 1 good lore card to completely shut you down. Fortunately, you're only allowed to play 1 lore card per turn.

As for unit abilities, here are some you may want to watch out for.

1) The Chaos Lord and Rune Golems have immovable 1, so they ignore 1 retreat. Don't count on rolling a single retreat to get them off a VP banner!

2) Roc Warrior has Flying, which causes melee units to subtract 1 die from their attack before rolling.

3) Riverwatch Riders can't be countered, so don't set up a situation where you hope to defeat them with a counter attack.

4) Obscenes can counter if forced to retreat, so don't hope to push them off a VP banner and take their spot because your unit may not get to advance.

I could keep going, but now we're getting into strategy territory. As you can see from the examples, there aren't any unit abilities that completely shut your attack down. There's still a chance for you to come out on top with the right dice rolls. It's mostly lore cards you have to watch out for, but that's the fun of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
One way to avoid 'gotchas' like that would be to look through unit cards with your primary gaming partner after an introductory game or two. There's only five per side. You could consider the same with lore cards if you really hate the idea of being surprised by those. Also don't add expansions immediately. If you play say five to ten matches to get comfortable with base game content you won't feel as overwhelmed when expansion lore cards and units get thrown in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.