Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received the KS edition a few weeks ago, but this was the first time I was able to play it with my daughter. Prior to playing, I watched some reviews and read the rulebook. I thought the rulebook was well done.

The art on the board and cards is great. Really beautiful. The cards seem to be of good stock as well. The miniatures are okay and sufficient since this isn't a miniatures game. However, I would have preferred if the sailors had looked like sailors instead of additional warriors. Perhaps something like an oar in their hands. Also, with the traders, they could have had a bag or something tossed over one shoulder rather than a weapon. In all honesty, I think the miniatures really weren't necessary. The place that they are supposed to go on the board really is tight and I think colored, wooden cubes would have sufficed just fine right there.

It has a similar theme and feeling to Champions of Midgard, but with more of a Euro feel and less randomness. The game plays pretty fast and the choices are very streamlined. Initial games will suffer though from not providing player aids. I think all games should have these. We got by with some fan created player aids. Hoping something more official with graphics will be added at some point.

A lot of re-playability due to so many unique cards and you won't use them all in any game. Though I am glad there is not any randomness for raid via dice rolling like in Champions, there needs to be some additional "unknown" or chance of failure to me. Not sure what. I just know the raids are missing something. The part where your opponents play cards to add to the raid requirements just isn't cutting it.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the game. The variable heroes, long ships and buildings are great and really add lot of variety. I just think the raids need a little something more so it won't feel so abstract.

I'd currently rate this a 7 out of 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold the game because the raids were so overly fiddly. The whole "matching symbols" to modify raid requirements was tacked on so that you could possibly discard an unneeded card? There were a few other fiddly rules that didn't sit well either. It's an ok design, but I'd much rather play the more random, but very fun Champions of Midgard. A better Viking-themed euro is Raiders of the North Sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Playing is the most serious thing there is.
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the game is as good as it is unrelated to a Viking theme (that is I find it quite good but not terribly thematic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhudson1972 wrote:
Initial games will suffer though from not providing player aids. I think all games should have these. We got by with some fan created player aids. Hoping something more official with graphics will be added at some point.

I think everyone would agree, that a lack of player aids here was a production mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing 5 2-player games I noticed that we hardly bought any buildings in our 2 last plays.
The reason being that it gets expensive after the first one. You would need to pay 2 Craft to get a token and 3 more Craft to get the building. That's 5 out of 6 cards in your hand so you'd probably be using 2 rounds to get it as well.
We found that getting a cheap hero for 2 Recruit and getting a boat would be much more economical in terms of points as we would be able to raid more often. In our last game we only got one building each, the rest went towards heroes, boats and raiding as often as possible, and I honestly don't think you'd be able to win going another route. The effects and abilities you get from buildings just doesn't feel like they're worth it when other players are rushing towards the Raid cards.

Abilities on heroes were also never used except for raid abilities as it would just be a waste of a raid opportunity.
We tried increasing the price for heroes to 3 for all except the one giving the fame point, it remained at 4. This made it harder to get heroes so we had to use cards to get other things like buildings instead. We also had a fixed price for build tokens of 1, but with the added restriction of only getting one per round. That helped quite a bit as none of us would be able to Raid every other turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph A Nardi
United States
Sterling Heights
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last week with a friend. We had each, almost all the buildings. The symbols on the buildings built add additional symbols to use for obtaining Build tokens and the green build symbols. Perhaps as a strategic play, build the most building symbols first, if they are drawn and up for purchase early in the game. They will add their symbols to the cost of the building action and won't cost you to use too many cards from your hand.

Then after you have most of your buildings, then concentrate on your raids. There are a few buildings available that will automatically add a building token, if you're lucky enough to obtain one. Thus, again, lowering the cost of the building.

The game does offer many ways to use the cards to your advantage, you just have to learn the nuances of the cards in your hand, the available Hero's, the Available buildings, and what raids give you the most advantages. Also the Ships add Warriors, Sailors, and Traders to your raiding advantages, if the ship has them available.

The game is quite interesting and is basically a race to get the most points, via raids and Hero's. How to go about doing so, is one of the challenges and strategies to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played twice and quite enjoy the pace and play of the game. Plays fast and has a few ways to cycle unused cards out of your hand.

The only thing I am not overly fond of is the sudden ending. In both of our games the scoring was tight and the player who claimed the last Raid was the winner.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Rexroth
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played it several times and I think you have many options to win.
The last 2 player game I won I got around 45 points. I also had 3 buildings and used a ton of hero abilities. If you don't you miss out. The trick is to do everything at the right time and to calculate correctly what your opponent will be doing.

However I agree that there could be a better way to make the raids harder for other players and maybe add some randomness instead of just matching symbols. The missing player help was also criticised by my friends. I told them I'd either find some online or create my own.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.