Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand. In CFR Rules you can exceed the limit in a corner at 60 Mph. It is not too high? In Monaco track if you exceed the speed corner in 60 mph you crash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand you question, so forgive me if I'm answering the wrong thing.

It sounds like you are questioning why you can go 60 mph OVER a speed limit. It is true that you can do that, however it comes with a big risk. In order to go 60 mph over you would have to roll a chance which has a base > 50% chance of failure (spin or crash). (Note I am intentionally ignoring soft tire optional rules).

That said, you are correct that in a real race most drivers are taking a corner at very close to the same speeds every lap unless they make a mistake. This is a situation where game mechanics and strategic interest made the game less of a simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucidphoenix wrote:
That said, you are correct that in a real race most drivers are taking a corner at very close to the same speeds every lap unless they make a mistake. This is a situation where game mechanics and strategic interest made the game less of a simulation.

Sorry my english, please.

Yes, it was my question. You focused on "board game" in despite of simulation. I already imagined. I think that 60 mph over speed limit in corners very high, but I understand that this speed can allow to pilots recover your race after a spin or any bad situation. I can solve it using house rules.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Melnyk
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Douglas,
If I understand your rules correctly, you can/must use Wear points to pay for going over the limit in corners. Each Wear Point cancels 20mph of extra speed - and the limit is 2 Wear Points per turn - or a total of 40mph.
So, if you are going 60mph over the listed speed, you first pay 2 Wear Points (paying for 40mph) - and then make a 50% Chance roll triggered by the additional 20mph.
There's also the problem of using up all your Wear points, making it impossible to modify the speed with these brakes.
If I'm correct, Ismael must understand that if a driver has used up all his Wear Points and was still going 60mph over, his car would crash automatically - you only get a Chance roll for going 20mph over.
I hope that's accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlad48 wrote:
Hi Douglas,
If I understand your rules correctly, you can/must use Wear points to pay for going over the limit in corners. Each Wear Point cancels 20mph of extra speed - and the limit is 2 Wear Points per turn - or a total of 40mph.
So, if you are going 60mph over the listed speed, you first pay 2 Wear Points (paying for 40mph) - and then make a 50% Chance roll triggered by the additional 20mph.
There's also the problem of using up all your Wear points, making it impossible to modify the speed with these brakes.
If I'm correct, Ismael must understand that if a driver has used up all his Wear Points and was still going 60mph over, his car would crash automatically - you only get a Chance roll for going 20mph over.
I hope that's accurate.

Thanks Walter, but my question is about SIMULATION. In a real race is IMPOSSIBLE to a car EXCEED THE SPEED in a corner in 40 mph (64 km/h) or 60 mph (96 km/h), do not matter if you use wear points or needs lucky (20 mph It is acceptable to).

But as Doug explained, can be more interesting "to sacrifice" the simulation in some situations. You need a little "boardgame" in your game.
I understand this proposal, I have a lot of race games (Rallyman, Thunder Alley, Formula D, Race Formula 90), but in this case (40 or 60 mph over speed) I think a bit exaggerated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.