$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What are the best possible openings for each faction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's time to discuss about the 1rst turn strategies of each faction?

Chaos ?
Darkness ?
Earth ?
Moon ?
Sky ?
Invisible God ?
Sea ?
Storm ?

For exemple, i don't see the better start for Darkness ?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
If it's anything like Cthulhu Wars, there'll be multiple starts.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really you have to build a temple the first turn. So that you can have a temple and a shrine for at least 5 power the second turn.

You then can choose whether to get a bunch of shrines, or a bunch of dudes, or your hero.

The second turn is really where your strategy and what you want to do comes in. Because you can get a ziggurat, or get your greater god or try and do some heroquests for gifts.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkness is the only faction that don't start with a shrine...
So his first turn will be :
- Shrine (1) then temple (2)
- Another Shrine (1)
- Mistress or Shade (2)

The troll are already in hell for a powerfull Turn 2.

?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, or they could skip the mistress and get 2 more shrines out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes for more VP but next turn, you can't protect all shrine and lost some...
but VP are VP
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely though if you don't put them right next to other people's units they won't attack them, as they're busy getting their own zigs/Gods.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see three plausible Darkness starts:

surface shrine - hell shrine - surface temple - mistress (hell): start next turn with 5 Power, 2 VP, & a deadly strike force

shrine - shrine - shrine - shrine - temple: start next turn with 5 Power & 4 VP

shrine - temple - ziggurat: start next turn with 4 Power, 1 VP, & a Gift.

There may be other possibilities depending on what other players do. Darkness is one of the few factions that dares to build a first-turn ziggurat.

I see two common and two uncommon Chaos starts:

common: 6 nests in a row, hoping for 8 Power & 6 VP next turn.

common: 4 nests & Lady of Disease, bringing 7 Power, 4 VP, and a Gift (usually blood sacrifice or I fought we won)

uncommon: a combination of the above that incorporates Broos. (Example: 3 nests, the Lady, and a broo. This provides less Power & VP, but can protect a nest and threaten an enemy.

uncommon: 2 nests, the Lady (getting Imbed), and Imbed a nest. This only gives 6 Power, 2 VP, and a Gift next turn, but also helps a nest's survival (since Darkness, Invisible God, Sky, and sometimes Sea are all incentivized to kill a nest as early as possible).

No time to write others now but perhaps that will help jumpstart you guys. Like Cthulhu Wars, Gods War has fairly common opening moves. Turn 2 is when things really start hopping.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Theses would be my go to moves for Sky.

-Summon Archer on the Spike (1)
-Move Archer to the Skydome (1)
-Build Shrine in the Skydome (1)

The whole idea being to avoid Chaos going nest -> Malia on my skydome shrine.

-Upgrade Shrine to Temple in the Skydome (2)

Then look at the board. If Chaos built an undefended nest on the spike move the archer back there with the last power point. If not maybe there is a lone shrine in an area in range of the sky to go to. if not just build another shrine.

Its very likely that you will still be 1st player next turn. If so, you can complete your heroquest for destroying/conquering a shrine or nest as the first action of the second turn before anyone can do anything about it. If not you will still have settled a strong position in the Skydome wich is always valuable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YOu can save 1PP if you build the shrine in the skydome first then summon an archer directly in the skydome (no need to move).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Mormorod wrote:
YOu can save 1PP if you build the shrine in the skydome first then summon an archer directly in the skydome (no need to move).


I know. The whole point of this opening is to dissuade chaos from nesting on your skydome shrine, not to save power. If you place the shrine in the skydome without an archer to cover it, then Chaos can place a nest and summon Malia. You can't do anything to Malia on the first turn and she is just annoying to deal with later too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If chaos plays before Sky, you can risk this movement according to what play chaos...
But i understand your point !
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Sky is always the first player for the first turn. Its a faction feature like Cthulhu in CW.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:


common: 4 nests & Lady of Disease, bringing 7 Power, 4 VP, and a Gift (usually blood sacrifice...)


I wonder if the other factions realise just how horribly dangerous to them this start is and what they do to stop it?

FWIW my next planned Invisible God start (assuming the rules haven't changed from the P&P) is.
Start with castle on Brithos.
Build a castle in Inner Hell. Summon a Knight to Inner Hell. Build a Tower somewhere else preferably Jrustela. Summon another Knight to Inner Hell. Offer Yelm a sweet deal on getting out of Hell next turn. A variant on this sacrifices the tower for killing Yelm then sparing him. Then KILLING HIM AGAIN mwha ha ha. Sort of like fiddling with a light switch while you're bored. (EDIT: that last one doesn't work...)

Not too bothered about having knights stuck in Hell because Darkness is highly motivated to kill them all the way out of there and you can show mercy for a book. Failing that, they'll end up in the Chaos Rift which is probably where they would have ended up anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
deleriad wrote:
A variant on this sacrifices the tower for killing Yelm then sparing him. Then KILLING HIM AGAIN mwha ha ha. Sort of like fiddling with a light switch while you're bored.


Is this supposed to accomplish anything ? Yelm never technically count has being killed for the purpose of game effect like Heroquests thanks to Nightfall.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decarcassor wrote:
deleriad wrote:
A variant on this sacrifices the tower for killing Yelm then sparing him. Then KILLING HIM AGAIN mwha ha ha. Sort of like fiddling with a light switch while you're bored.


Is this supposed to accomplish anything ? Yelm never technically count has being killed for the purpose of game effect like Heroquests thanks to Nightfall.


According to the faction sheet it says "If Yelm is killed..." then says he's placed in Hell rather than your pool. This may have been changed to say that Yelm is never actually killed in which case you're right it would accomplish nothing. I guess a game designer needs to clarify.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
PnP FAQ page 26 wrote:
Q. If I successfully score a Kill on Sun God, he immediately reappears as per his Nightfall ability. Does this count as a “Kill” for any game purposes?
A. No. Thus it does not count as a Kill towards Storm’s “Kill an enemy God in Battle” nor Chaos’s “Two units are killed in a Battle”, nor does it increment Mad God’s combat.


Basicly Nightfall should read: "If Yelm would be eliminated by any mean, move him to Hell instead. If he is allready in Hell move him to another Hell area."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decarcassor wrote:
PnP FAQ page 26 wrote:
Q. If I successfully score a Kill on Sun God, he immediately reappears as per his Nightfall ability. Does this count as a “Kill” for any game purposes?
A. No. Thus it does not count as a Kill towards Storm’s “Kill an enemy God in Battle” nor Chaos’s “Two units are killed in a Battle”, nor does it increment Mad God’s combat.


Basicly Nightfall should read: "If Yelm would be eliminated by any mean, move him to Hell instead. If he is allready in Hell move him to another Hell area."


Thanks for that. Makes the opening less interesting and probably not really worth the investment in resources. I guess my favoured opening would be castle, tower, and 2 knights with the option of sending one of them to Hell on the second turn and getting a gift when Darkness gets around to attacking him.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:

surface shrine - hell shrine - surface temple - mistress (hell): start next turn with 5 Power, 2 VP, & a deadly strike force


Turn 2 then ziggurat (3) move from hell the complete deadly strike force (1) to attack an opponent (1 last PP).
Assuming you lost a troll in the battle, you can earn 2 gifts (lost a unit in battle and ziggurat up) + conquest of a building.

Next turn : 7 (conquest : shrine) or 9 (conquest : temple) Power, 4 more VP, 2 gifts.

Right ?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mormorod wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

surface shrine - hell shrine - surface temple - mistress (hell): start next turn with 5 Power, 2 VP, & a deadly strike force


Turn 2 then ziggurat (3) move from hell the complete deadly strike force (1) to attack an opponent (1 last PP).
Assuming you lost a troll in the battle, you can earn 2 gifts (lost a unit in battle and ziggurat up) + conquest of a building.

Next turn : 7 (conquest : shrine) or 9 (conquest : temple) Power, 4 more VP, 2 gifts.

Right ?


I only get to 3 VP - one for each of the three buildings. What am I missing?

Cheers,
Graham
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's me ! i forgot the VP for the conquest.

And i mean a TOTAL of 5 VP.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Earth :

1 Shrine (5 PP left)
1 temple in genert's garden (3 PP left) --> 1 Earth queen out
1 temple on the 1st Shrine (1 PP left) --> 1 Earth queen out
1 Shrine (0 PP left)

Start of turn 2 : 5 PP (or 7 if polygamy is achieve) , 3 VP, 0 Gift (perhaps 1 if darkness is in play because of the number of minion in play - Polygamy of course)

Not bad ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.