12 Posts

Battlestar Galactica» Forums » General

Subject: Online play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
So I thought this seemed like a pretty good game, but the couple hours of time it takes torpedoes pretty much all chances to get people together to play in person (even when we have 3-4 hours to play we'd usually rather play a couple different games or a couple rounds of the same game), so I was wondering if there's a good way to pick up and play online.

I know there's a couple of you out there using the Vassal engine, but is there any pick up game stuff, or just schedule a game for X, and, either way, how does one get involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're OK with a game that takes weeks-to-months to complete, there's always Play By Forum.

Here's the signup wiki page:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BSG_PBF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The play-by-forum style we have here supports all expansions and modules, but it requires you to get in line to get into a game because these require a moderator to mod the secret stuff, like the decks, loyalty cards, and cards in hand.

There's also a website to play games without a mod. Should be accessible on any OS platform, but I forgot what it was called and where to find it. This one currently only supports base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
I always found it pretty easy to find games on vassal. I haven't been on in a while, but when I was playing regularly people were always welcoming. Plenty of ppl will usually share their skype username as well so you can find them off vassal too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Jmdgls wrote:
I always found it pretty easy to find games on vassal. I haven't been on in a while, but when I was playing regularly people were always welcoming. Plenty of ppl will usually share their skype username as well so you can find them off vassal too.
Well I poked in a couple times, and there was either nobody there or a single game running, so either the community is dead, or there's some other place where people organize games unless all of you wait till a specific game to flood in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McKee
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time last week on tabletop simulator (through steam) and loved it so much I bought the base game and all three expansions a few days later.

If you do pick up tabletop simulator, there is a community of board game players called the red dice that I’ve joined and seem to have something going on often. I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to play anything online lately but BSG is a favorite for at least a few who are looking for players regularly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GhostBirdofPrey wrote:
So I thought this seemed like a pretty good game, but the couple hours of time it takes torpedoes pretty much all chances to get people together to play in person (even when we have 3-4 hours to play we'd usually rather play a couple different games or a couple rounds of the same game), so I was wondering if there's a good way to pick up and play online.

I know there's a couple of you out there using the Vassal engine, but is there any pick up game stuff, or just schedule a game for X, and, either way, how does one get involved?

I would suggest using Vassal (vassalengine.org). It's an live play online portal where you download modules for the games you're interested in playing (BSG is on that list).

Best part, completely FREE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
RebRob wrote:
GhostBirdofPrey wrote:

I would suggest using Vassal (vassalengine.org). It's an live play online portal where you download modules for the games you're interested in playing (BSG is on that list).

I have Vassal Engine (not tabletop simulator though) already. I was mainly wondering how to actually find people to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GhostBirdofPrey wrote:
RebRob wrote:
GhostBirdofPrey wrote:

I have Vassal Engine (not tabletop simulator though) already. I was mainly wondering how to actually find people to play with.

AFAIK, since it doesn't have a matchmaking feature, you need to play with friends/people you know ahead of time, or post to places like this game's Organized Play subforum (here on BGG) to find interest.

Also, I just recalled what the name of the website was for playing BSG games without a mod (the site handles all of the secret/private info stuff like cards in hand, loyalty cards, etc.). However, the site appears to be down!
http://home.cymod.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmb
Looking for vassal players today, for at least 3 hours from now! GM me if available!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Heanaghan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have it on vassal and have a friend interested in playing. The problem is, we live in New Zealand so its been hard to find other players interested in playing. We would be playing about 3 hours from when I've posted this, so if there are players that would be interested in playing in that time fairly regularly, PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Rissanen
msg tools
Hello,

we try to play on Vassal at least one game per day. We use skypegroup called Toaster Megacorp Pty. Ltd. to find players.

my skypename is von Risbergo (Finland), so contact me in skype and I will add all new players to the skypegroup.

If you want to update the Vassal game, you can download these:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ur7ohhewpmu4cld/AAAqrb13NuQcG5zEV... (new motives)

Character update:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j93qnfn96q2xor/X_Battlestar_Addit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.