GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: My cat-proof board gaming table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently got into the hobby and have been enjoying some long form solitaire games like D-Day at Tarawa and my fold out table was not cutting it as my cat liked to jump on it.

I tried to cover it with cardboard but he still would jump (and lay on) the cardboard, knocking things around. I looked for a cheap table to convert but was striking out (I wanted a minimum of 3x5" rectangle) or they were too expensive to justify so being a bad carpenter I decided to buy a few sheets of MDF and make one.

I'm happy with the results, it's not pretty but it's very functional. The light turns on and off with a hidden switch under the right side (you can get at it sitting down).

I used 0.5" MDF - 3/4" would be more standard for a table but I doubled up with a smaller sheet across the middle so it wouldn't be bouncy. I looked at using Poplar but that would have been 2x as much cost ($40 a sheet here) and I planned on painting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool

Now I wonder if you could have a support on the lid to hang things while playing (magnetic, cork?)

Not yet sure about what precisely (wargame maps?), but so much space begs for an usage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The magnets are a good idea. I have a stack of those little rare earth magnets somewhere around also.

I was considering buying some chalkboard paint for the back for notes but it's quite a reach.

Tarawa has several charts that need to be referenced - the magnets would be great because I could hang them without tape or tacks (gotta keep them in good condition!).

Haven't decided if I want to felt the bottom. I'm going to try it as is and see how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmbmbmb
I was expecting a picture of a gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the table looks good. Under the lid, what is the small piece of wood for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
in the cat's defense, she was probably just practicing so that you could play together. Trust me, it's embarrassing the first time the cat wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:

I'm pretty sure THAT would be for the "offensive gamers-proof table."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
Pretty cool

Now I wonder if you could have a support on the lid to hang things while playing (magnetic, cork?)

Not yet sure about what precisely (wargame maps?), but so much space begs for an usage.

Maybe a whiteboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Youells wrote:
in the cat's defense, she was probably just practicing so that you could play together. Trust me, it's embarrassing the first time the cat wins.

I 100% agree. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that this still won't keep a cat from jumping up while you are playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
I think the table looks good. Under the lid, what is the small piece of wood for?

"I used 0.5" MDF - 3/4" would be more standard for a table but I doubled up with a smaller sheet across the middle so it wouldn't be bouncy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the extra space - regarding some of the solitaire games I play, a drop down shelf would help with holding cards, minis, rule book, etc to make more room for the play area. I am always dragging an empty chair over and putting the game box and extra bits on it while I monopolize the table top. An extra piece of wood and a hinge and hasp and viola!

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea - I also do the chair thing (for my drink and extra bits). I have some spare mdf - maybe I'll look into that this weekend.

Table in Action

Sorry Kitty! No play for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aradraug
Czech Republic
Novy Jicin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordpolish wrote:
Sorry Kitty! No play for you!

It's only matter of time until cat realizes how to play with your precious game. Cats are like little children...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use magnets only if absolutely required
lordpolish wrote:
The magnets are a good idea. I have a stack of those little rare earth magnets somewhere around also.

Keep in mind that these powerful magnets may be the "pollution" of the future: soon it will be hard to find unmagnetized steel and it takes power to demagnetize.

I make in my workshop tiny steel parts that can be ruined by magnetism and it is hard to keep magnets and magnetism out. More and more tools incorporate the pesky and unwanted things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.